Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Shounen Ai and Yaoi Guild

Back to Guilds

A Guild dedicated to discussing Yaoi and Boy Love. 

Tags: yaoi, shounen ai, boy love, anime, manga 

Reply [Rant and Rave]_____GLBT, Life-Topics, Politics, Rants
[Music/Rant] Who says I can't listen to that?? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Dante_Giovanni

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:14 pm
Ok, well I was hanging out in the First Natsion(yes I can't spell) room at my school. We were listening to some music when 'Lips of an Angel' came on, and I love that song to death (love love heart heart ) so I started to sing, when some one in there said "Why the hell are you singing along? You're gay and this is about a ex-girl calling a guys house and he can't get over her. You have no right singing."

I was so shock, I sware my mouth was hanging open for 30 seconds before one of my friends closed it for me.

Can't some one tell me why people would say that? I have every right to song what I like, why do these people think they can tell me what I can and can't sing? I mean come on! It's not like I'm going againest something, am I?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:30 pm
I think I probably know what that girl was thinking. She probably thought that because you're gay, you would only be interested in singing a song about a gay couple, not a straight couple. This kind of reminds me of the time my dad found out I saw Brokeback Mountain. He just wouldn't understand why me, a straight girl, would wanna see two guys kissing when I wasn't a gay guy. Yeah... most of the people I know seem to have that kind of thought going through their head. I hope that made sense.

I would have killed that girl (not literaly) stare .  

Chifufuni

Dante_Giovanni

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:43 pm
Oh I was so close in doing just that. I felt so bad after. I hope she'll learn that even if some one gays, it doesn't stop them from liking music made for straight people.

.......You dad scares me  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:18 pm
You and me both! Makes me kind of glad I'm in college now where noone really gives a crap. But in High School, a lot of people thought I was a lesbian just for liking shoujo-ai/yuri, nevermind the fact that I just like romance in general stare . I wounder what makes people think that way? *shrugs* Probably today's issues.

He scares me too crying with how he thinks sometimes. At least he stopped hating the fact I saw the movie a few months ago. Shoot, I even heard him talk good about it once eek .  

Chifufuni

Raion Ronin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:51 pm
wow...its so easy to tell who the musicly challenged are...some of my favorite songs are sung by guys about their love for girls, I being a straight girl, sing along to them all the time, theres a difference between singing a song becuase the words have deep meaning to you and singing along becuase its just a damn good song....

just ignore them, you have all the right in the world to sing w/e song you want! =3  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:19 pm
I hate that. Once in the sixth grade, a couple of friends and I were hanging out and we were listening to Weird Al and I started to sing along with "My Baby's In Love With Eddie Veder" (it's really catchy) and then one of them (I don't hang out with her anymore 'cause she started acting like a world-class dorkwad during middle school) said, "Hey, can you not sing along with it? It sounds... strange coming from you" or something like that. The issue was that the song says:
"Well, my baby's in love with Eddie Vedder.
She's all crazy 'bout that Eddie Vedder.
Once she was mine, but now I better just forget her,
'Cause my baby's in love with Eddie Vedder."

marrrow

jubilantmisery

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:09 pm
Those kind of people are just idiots. In choir, I sing a lot of gospel songs and I'm an atheist. What about all the chicks who love boy bands and sing along with them? Should they not if the song is about a guy loving a girl? scream It's so stupid scream  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:25 pm
jubilantmisery
Those kind of people are just idiots. In choir, I sing a lot of gospel songs and I'm an atheist. What about all the chicks who love boy bands and sing along with them? Should they not if the song is about a guy loving a girl? scream It's so stupid scream

Yeah, same here--I'm an athiest who sings religious music in choir. Heck, I even got paid to sing in a church choir for six months because I like singing, and I couldn't care less about what it means. If a song has a catchy tune, I'll sing it even if it's not about something that applies to me, regardless of whether or not other people think it's weird.  

Falafel25

6,550 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Full closet 200
  • Sausage Fest 200

[Eros~Rage]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:17 pm
Ronin the Fox

just ignore them, you have all the right in the world to sing w/e song you want! =3

The plain and simple truth right there. Just blow em' off, yeah sure. It's just sheer lunacy that someone would say that to you. Don't let their ignoracy get to you though, let them look like the asshat.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:47 pm
I get reactions similar to that. I love lots of diffrent types of music mostly Evanescence and Tatu. People criticize me and accuse me of being gothic because I like a goth band. Some people even think i'm homosexual because of tatu, (and becasuse I kissed a friend's cheek one time. rolleyes -cough-)In all honest just tell them to stick a poll up their a**, and let you do whatever the hell you want. The music you like doesn't have to have perfect lyrics that match up to your life.
<3

~mikenno~

EnvysLoveSlave

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:09 pm
Hey Dante, next time that girl sings a certain song, do the exact same thing to her. As for me, there used to be some metalheads that went to my school, that told me I couldn't listen to other types of music because of being one. Man I'm glad those days are over.

I felt so restricted and limited. I now listen to what I want, and don't give a damn what anyone thinks.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:54 pm
Now that is some bullshit.

It's all about the music, in the end. Sing whatever makes you happy.  

MoonTree

Ursine Friend

Dante_Giovanni

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:25 pm
Wow eek I didn't think so many people would say anyything. Yeah well, I told that girl off and said why the hell was she sing along with the song, she's not a guy. She just gave me a look and walked away. 3nodding It's was funny. xd  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:34 am
First, good for you for telling her off! But I don't blame you for being shocked. It's a song. Certain words may have meaning to you, despite your sexuality. I happen to love that song as well, just for the way it sounds, the situation it describes and the wonderful vocals. I haven't been in any sort of relationship like that, but I still like to hum or sing along with it... It shouldn't matter. It's just music. It's healing to our souls, we all need it.

Everyone likes different things, and has the right to that. She was just really insensitive? I'm not sure if that's the right word, but she's an idiot nonetheless.

Sing your heart out!!!

Blue~x~Rose

AmethystLexi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:33 pm
I think nobody has a right to tell you that you have no right to sing along to something, just because it doesn't have anything specific to do with you.
I mean, I love many songs that are about a guy that has broken up with his girlfriend and now wants to tell her he loves her - I know that I am not a guy, and nor have I ever broken up with someone that I actually care about (I'm always the one that breaks up with others), but that doens't mean I have no right to sing the song if I like it and find meaning to it!
People that tell you off for something like this really need to think more seriously about what a song really means, apart from gender or sexuality.

[Rant and Rave]_____GLBT, Life-Topics, Politics, Rants

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff