Reply Music - Related Topics
Defining Gothic Music Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Spooky Ames

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:23 pm
The other day, I was arguing with my dad about how Evanescence isn't gothic music, but he would not agree with me. But, then I realized that I couldn't really argue, because I don't really know what gothic music is.

Does anybody have a definition of Gothic Music? And, I mean more than just lists of bands, I'm talking an actual definition.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:28 pm
"Gothic music" is an umbrella term used to describe all music related to (and including) goth-rock.

Basic history:

Wikipedia.org
Goth-rock (also called gothic rock or simply goth) is a genre of rock music that developed during the late 1970s. Originally a label for a handful of punk rock/post-punk bands, goth began to be defined as a separate movement in the early 1980s. In contrast to punk bands' aggressive hard-driving music and style, the early gothic bands' music was more introspective, and dealt with dark aesthetics and literary movements such as gothic horror, Romanticism, existential philosophy, and nihilism. Notable gothic rock bands include Bauhaus, Siouxsie & the Banshees, The Cure, The Sisters of Mercy, and Fields of the Nephilim.

What does goth-rock sound like you may ask? Here's some good identifying factors:

-Light, stacatto drums (rims & cymbals in particular)
-Prominent, bold bass-guitar (typically holding the melody, unlike almost every other form of rock which has electric guitar holding the melody)
-Heavily distorted, warped, and swirling guitar
-Deep, crooning [male] vocal style (best represented by Peter Murphy, Ian Curtis, or Andrew Eldritch)
-High, wavering [female] vocal style (best represented by Melora Creager)
-Fluid, poetic lyrics, with such subjects as existentialism, love, life, death, and revenge.

Other factors which are common, but not definitive of the genre:

-Atmospheric keyboard instruments (piano, harpsichord, and pipe-organ are all equally common)
-Hollow, processed synthesizers
-Full latin choirs
-Multi-layered backing vocals
-Sweeping violins
-Ominous cello/concert-bass

Best examples of the genre's sound:
"Bela Lugosi's Dead" ~ Bauhaus
"Shadowplay" ~ Joy Division
"We're So Happy" ~ Danse Society

Why aren't Evanescence goth-rock?

A better question: how could they be? Evanescence quite simply has no similarities to the genre, save for some similarities of lyrical content.

-Goth-rock is really defined by the prominence of it's bass-guitar; Evanescence's bass-guitar almost can't be heard.
-Goth-rock has wavering, distorted guitars; Evanescence has loud, grinding, metal-style guitars.
-Evanescence has thrashing drums, as opposed to goth-rock's light stacatto drums.
-Amy Lee's voice is powerful, strong, and well-rounded, as opposed to goth-rock's leading ladies' wavering, high-pitched whispers.  

GilAskan
Crew

Spooky Ames

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:58 pm
GilAskan
"Gothic music" is an umbrella term used to describe all music related to (and including) goth-rock.

Basic history:

Wikipedia.org
Goth-rock (also called gothic rock or simply goth) is a genre of rock music that developed during the late 1970s. Originally a label for a handful of punk rock/post-punk bands, goth began to be defined as a separate movement in the early 1980s. In contrast to punk bands' aggressive hard-driving music and style, the early gothic bands' music was more introspective, and dealt with dark aesthetics and literary movements such as gothic horror, Romanticism, existential philosophy, and nihilism. Notable gothic rock bands include Bauhaus, Siouxsie & the Banshees, The Cure, The Sisters of Mercy, and Fields of the Nephilim.

What does goth-rock sound like you may ask? Here's some good identifying factors:

-Light, stacatto drums (rims & cymbals in particular)
-Prominent, bold bass-guitar (typically holding the melody, unlike almost every other form of rock which has electric guitar holding the melody)
-Heavily distorted, warped, and swirling guitar
-Deep, crooning [male] vocal style (best represented by Peter Murphy, Ian Curtis, or Andrew Eldritch)
-High, wavering [female] vocal style (best represented by Melora Creager)
-Fluid, poetic lyrics, with such subjects as existentialism, love, life, death, and revenge.

Other factors which are common, but not definitive of the genre:

-Atmospheric keyboard instruments (piano, harpsichord, and pipe-organ are all equally common)
-Hollow, processed synthesizers
-Full latin choirs
-Multi-layered backing vocals
-Sweeping violins
-Ominous cello/concert-bass

Best examples of the genre's sound:
"Bela Lugosi's Dead" ~ Bauhaus
"Shadowplay" ~ Joy Division
"We're So Happy" ~ Danse Society

Why aren't Evanescence goth-rock?

A better question: how could they be? Evanescence quite simply has no similarities to the genre, save for some similarities of lyrical content.

-Goth-rock is really defined by the prominence of it's bass-guitar; Evanescence's bass-guitar almost can't be heard.
-Goth-rock has wavering, distorted guitars; Evanescence has loud, grinding, metal-style guitars.
-Evanescence has thrashing drums, as opposed to goth-rock's light stacatto drums.
-Amy Lee's voice is powerful, strong, and well-rounded, as opposed to goth-rock's leading ladies' wavering, high-pitched whispers.
Thank you! 3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:43 pm
Wow... I did not know that. eek Thanks for clearing that up.  

Sassy Ace Ari

Fashionable Genius

2,600 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Friend of the Goat 100

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:09 pm
And for some more information...

Goth-rock bands (examples):
Bauhaus
Joy Division
The Cure
Siouxsie Sioux and the Banshees
The Damned
Christian Death
Sisters of Mercy
The Mission UK
The Church
New Model Army
Fields of Nephilim

Bands Commonly Called Goth-rock, but are not Goth-rock (examples):
Evanescence
Marilyn Manson
koRn
Tool
Slipknot
My Chemical Romance
Aiden
Rammstein
A Perfect Circle
AFI
Black Sabbath
Cradle of Filth
Nightwish
Nine Inch Nails  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:02 pm
Hmm, I wonder if other people consider Kagerou (definitely my new favorite group from Japan...for today) to be of the goth persuasion. The name itself definitely seems to have that leaning.  

Silenus Slade

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:28 pm
Silenus Slade
Hmm, I wonder if other people consider Kagerou (definitely my new favorite group from Japan...for today) to be of the goth persuasion. The name itself definitely seems to have that leaning.

No, Kagerou is not goth-rock.

They're pretty clearly indie or some such similar genre.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:17 am
GilAskan

Evanescence
Marilyn Manson
koRn
Tool
Slipknot
My Chemical Romance
Aiden
Rammstein
A Perfect Circle
AFI
Black Sabbath
Cradle of Filth
Nightwish
Nine Inch Nails

most of the bands are metal, and hardcore
ecxept
My chemical romance, and AFi witch are thought to be

screamo/post-punk/emo

Rammstien and Nine Inch Nails
define them selves as industrial-metal

but korn and slipkont? metal all the way
same with Evanescence. they are black metal i think or just some gothic posers, but i don't know

Cradel of filth is black metal/post gothic
or somthing like that  

sataujin-ken

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:08 pm
sataujin-ken
GilAskan

Evanescence (Symphonic Metal)
Marilyn Manson (Alternative Metal)
koRn (Nu-Metal)
Tool (Experimental Hard-rock)
Slipknot (Nu-metal)
My Chemical Romance (Pop-Rock)
Aiden (Pop-rock)
Rammstein (Heavy Metal)
A Perfect Circle (Shoegaze/Experimental)
AFI (Pop-rock)
Black Sabbath (Metal)
Cradle of Filth (Symphonic Black Metal)
Nightwish (Symphonic Metal)
Nine Inch Nails (Industrial)

ecxept

screamo/post-punk/emo

same with Evanescence. they are black metal i think or just some gothic posers, but i don't know

or somthing like that

That should clear things up.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:08 pm
GilAskan
sataujin-ken
GilAskan

Evanescence (Symphonic Metal)
Marilyn Manson (Alternative Metal)
koRn (Nu-Metal)
Tool (Experimental Hard-rock)
Slipknot (Nu-metal)
My Chemical Romance (Pop-Rock)
Aiden (Pop-rock)
Rammstein (Heavy Metal)
A Perfect Circle (Shoegaze/Experimental)
AFI (Pop-rock)
Black Sabbath (Metal)
Cradle of Filth (Symphonic Black Metal)
Nightwish (Symphonic Metal)
Nine Inch Nails (Industrial)

ecxept

screamo/post-punk/emo

or somthing like that

That should clear things up.

I always thought Marylin manson was Shock rock.
And, AFI/Aiden are emo, I think.
But, I suppose it doesn't matter, as long as it's good, I don't care what it is.

Genica Pussywillow

IY_and_MCR
Crew

5,650 Points
  • Member 100
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:46 pm
[Rosetta Stoned]

But, I suppose it doesn't matter, as long as it's good, I don't care what it is.

Emo would be more like Rites of Spring and Sunny Day Real Estate.
(Correct me if I'm mistaken)
Manson is is a shock rocker, but I don't think that's an accual musical genra, but more of an umbrella term for rock musicains who do types of shocking things.
(Once more, if I'm wrong tell me)  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:56 pm
IY_and_MCR
[Rosetta Stoned]

Manson is is a shock rocker, but I don't think that's an accual musical genra, but more of an umbrella term for rock musicains who do types of shocking things.

Yeh, I thought so with the second one, but I wasn't sure and I wouldn't really call Manson anything "metal" neutral
Well, they're generally refered to as emo, even though emo used to be something quite different.
So, I really don't know what they are.XD

Genica Pussywillow

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:32 pm
IY_and_MCR
[Rosetta Stoned]

Correct, on both accounts.

-What pop culture now refers to as "emo" is actually powerpop (Fall Out Boy, My Chemical Romance, Panic at the Disco) or pop-rock (AFI, Green Day). The real emo (emotive hardcore genre) has all but dissolved.

-[As you said] Shock rock isn't a genre but a general grouping of any artist which uses shocking lyrics or aesthetics. Manson's music falls under metal because of the guitar style used, as well as the general instrumental arrangements.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:40 am
May I just say... Evanescence? May be called Goth because it is a fusion of music Genres taking into account the memberrs likes and interests. One of the factors was GOTH-ROCK. And the lyrics define most genres. Well except dance. And you people saying it is about instermental? Then Goth-Rock is simply a heavy-metal form of dance and when you mosh it is the equivalant to raveing... Now really is that what it is?  

Ry Ki

Ry Ki

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:43 am
GilAskan
IY_and_MCR
[Rosetta Stoned]

Correct, on both accounts.

-What pop culture now refers to as "emo" is actually powerpop (Fall Out Boy, My Chemical Romance, Panic at the Disco) or pop-rock (AFI, Green Day). The real emo (emotive hardcore genre) has all but dissolved.

-[As you said] Shock rock isn't a genre but a general grouping of any artist which uses shocking lyrics or aesthetics. Manson's music falls under metal because of the guitar style used, as well as the general instrumental arrangements.
Panic! At the Disco is not Emo neither is Fall Out Boy. They are just bands that emo's listen to. And the style of the Genres is always evolving thus still Emotive Hardcore but diffrent. This is how Emo countiues to march along.  
Music - Related Topics

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff