Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Shounen Ai and Yaoi Guild

Back to Guilds

A Guild dedicated to discussing Yaoi and Boy Love. 

Tags: yaoi, shounen ai, boy love, anime, manga 

Reply [The Pocky Shop]____Discussion Of Pre-Existing Creations (Anime/Manga/Books)
[Anime/Manga][General] Titles you recommend or don't. Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

princessMeep

Shy Saint

4,050 Points
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • Timid 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:54 am
Anyone remember way back in the way back when there was pretty much zero shounen-ai & yaoi manga published in the US, so you had to live with doujinshi you couldn't read or scanlations that took a month to download? Thankfully, those days are over.
... but now there's the opposite problem! There's so much shounen-ai and yaoi out there, it's hard to decide which ones to buy! ('Course, it doesn't help that it's like $13 a pop!)
So! I'm asking you to make a list of shounen-ai/yaoi you own, and which ones you'd recommend. Bold your favorites, put the ones you'd recommend in italics, strike out the ones you would not recommend, and leave the others in plain text, please.
Also - when you get more, please feel free to come back and edit your list!

princessMeep's list of shounen-ai & yaoi manga
  • Our Everlasting
  • Passion, vol 1 & 2
  • Only the Ring Finger Knows
  • Il gatto sul G
  • Lost Boys
  • Almost Crying
  • Little Butterfly
  • Same Cell Organism
  • Alone in My King's Harem
  • Loveless
  • Demon Diary
  • Princess Prince

[edit:] hey, that's lowecase for a reason, please keep it that way. sweatdrop it's not a sentence; oh, and my apologies for posting in the wrong section, thank you for moving this

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:04 am
Chaos's Little List Of Yaoi :3:

-Our Everlasting
-Only The Ring Finger Knows (:0 I cried! I really did!)
-Little Butterfly
-Love Mode
-You and Haru
-Loveless
-Lost Boys
-Same Cell Organism
-My Only King
-Yellow
-Sweet Revolution
-Eerie Queerie  

Dr_Kael

Kitsune-chi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:18 am
Ah, let's see.

Gravitation [Volumes 1-3] (I dunno... I like the anime better.)
Only The Ring Finger Knows (Beautiful. My second favorite out of all the ones I own.)
Beyond My Touch (Flufftastic. The first story was my favorite but the second and third were good too. My tastes, certainly, but probably not for many others.)
Same Cell Organism (The art's lovely and the storys are nothing short of poingnant. Highly recommended. Nakagawa and Yokota are L-O-V-E.)
Our Kingdom (AKA Bokura no Oukoku) 1-2
Loveless 1-2 (In my opinion, the absolute best BL manga ever, and my personal favorite. Also the only "shota" I read or probably ever will read.)
Gorgeous Carat Volumes 1-2 (GORGEOUS ART. The only way I wouldn't recommend it is if you're looking for lots and lots of BL action, because there's not so far.)

I'm... er... rather biased when it comes to BL though. I pretty much like them all on some level. There are none I would really put as "unrecommended." *laugh*  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:26 am
Dubious's Little (very little) List of BL and Yaoi She Reccomends:

-Demon Diary

-Skyscrapers of Oz

-The Sound of Your Voice

Harlequin Hisakata

Aeronwyn

14,200 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Cheerleader 200
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:54 pm
Eerie Queerie
Wild Rock
Tarot Cafe
Black Knight

Yeah, I'm not that much of a manga fan...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:07 pm
All the good ones have already been posted, but here goes

- Fake (own the entire series, its worth 70 bucks, especially volume 7 =3)

- Loveless

- Only the Ring Finger Knows (I wish it was a series)

- Descendents of Darkness

- Gravitation remixes (for the yaoicore fans)  

0 Gecko Girl Vici 0

Tipsy Regular

Pax et lux

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:28 pm
Yaoi? As in Yaoi-yaoi? Ohh, I know some that'll perk your interest:

Crimson Spell
View Finder
Map of Tokyo Savage (Warning: Shota!)

And really, just about anything from Ayano Yamane.

For the ones I actually own, (in my own hands xD) or have read and wish to own:

Our Kingdom
You and Harujion
LOVELESS (Well, technically, this is SHOUJO and not a BL/shota like most people tend to not know... but I guess I'll post it in my list, anyway.)
Passion
Il Gatto Sul G
BOYS NEXT DOOR <333
Same-Cell Organism
Level-C (I REALLY do not reccomend this)
Kill Me
Fish in the Trap
Kokoro Kikai
Papa to Kiss in the Dark (actually, this is an anime... xD)
Soshite Koi ga Hajimaru
Anata no Chef
Sukisyo
Shout Out Loud!
Earthian (I believe this is Shoujo, also...)
Only the Ring Finger Knows
Beyond My Touch
Jazz
Boy Princess

ect., etc., etc...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:10 am
This is what I physically own, as in forked out the $10+ for. My intangible collection is so much larger ninja

Almost Crying
Alone in my King's Harem
Antique Bakery
The Art of Loving
Beyond My Touch
Boy Princess
Brother
But You're My Teacher!
Challengers
Clan of the Nakashimas
Desire
Dost Thou Know?
Earthian
Eerie Queerie
Embracing Love (Haru wo Daiteita)
Empty Heart
Enslaved by the Dragon
Fake
Finder Series
Golden Cain
Gorgeous Carat
Gravitation
Il Gatto Sul G
Incubus
Jazz
Kizuna: Bonds of Love
La Esperanca
Let Dai
Level C
Lies and Kisses
Little Butterfly
Love Mode
Lost Boys
My Only King
Only the Ring Finger Knows
Our Everlasting
Our Kingdom
Passion
Play Boy Blues
Prisoner of the Immortal
Rising Storm
Same Cell Organism
Selfish Love
Shinobu Kokoro
Skyscrapers of Oz
Sweet Revolution
Tokyo Babylon
Until the Full Moon
Wild Rock
Yellow
You and Harujin

Underlined/Striked titles = Yes, they're that bad.
Bold/Italics = Why aren't these in your collection?!  

For-Chan Cookie
Captain

7,900 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Clambake 200

princessMeep

Shy Saint

4,050 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:04 am
For-Chan Cookie
This is what I physically own, as in forked out the $10+ for. My intangible collection is so much larger ninja

I know how that goes. ninja *hides printed out scanlation collection*

@.[Idee Fixe]. > Loveless certainly borders on shounen-ai - if Ritsuka & Soubi don't make it a BL manga, then the two Zero boys do. heart I think that Earthian is listed under BL, too, but I haven't read it, so I couldn't say.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:21 pm
For-Chan Cookie- You own the Finder Series?!?! Aggggh, I've been wanting to find those so very badly.

princessMeep- Trust me, it's shoujo. ^^ It runs in a Shoujo magazine, and Ritsuka and Soubi are not a couple. Same goes for Natsuo and Youji. xD Just because Yamato and Kouya are lesbians does not make it a shoujo-ai, either.

I believe Blu/Tokyopop may have made a mistake. The story of Earthian focuses more on the adventures of Chihaya and Kagetsuya trying to find the rises and falls of humanity rather than their actual relationship. Same goes for Tokyopop labeling Gravitation a "shounen-ai", as well.

Gravitation runs in GENZO; Loveless in ZERO-SUM. Those are shounen/shoujo magazines. ^^ If they were BL, they would've run in something like Be-Boy.

Pax et lux

Kitsune-chi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:33 pm
*blinks* Really? I've always thought of Loveless as BL. Huh. I feel dumb.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:37 pm
.[Idee Fixe].
For-Chan Cookie- You own the Finder Series?!?! Aggggh, I've been wanting to find those so very badly.

Yeah, I don't buy them in stores. I pick them up at cons. Most stores simply don't carry the BeBeautiful titles because they're so highly rated, though I understand that they will order them for you.

.[Idee Fixe].
princessMeep- Trust me, it's shoujo. ^^ It runs in a Shoujo magazine, and Ritsuka and Soubi are not a couple. Same goes for Natsuo and Youji. xD Just because Yamato and Kouya are lesbians does not make it a shoujo-ai, either.

I believe Blu/Tokyopop may have made a mistake. The story of Earthian focuses more on the adventures of Chihaya and Kagetsuya trying to find the rises and falls of humanity rather than their actual relationship. Same goes for Tokyopop labeling Gravitation a "shounen-ai", as well.

Loveless is not BL. Sorry fangirls. Squee as much as you want, but it isn't.

Earthian is, but just barely. There's only one brief love scene in the manga, but while it's about their adventures, it's also about them growing into their relationship. The anime is much more obvious about the relationship.

And I don't see why Gravitation shouldn't be BL. It's about singing and such, but primarily, it's about Yuki and Shuichi's realy ******** up relationship.  

For-Chan Cookie
Captain

7,900 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Clambake 200

princessMeep

Shy Saint

4,050 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:16 pm
I'unno, I'd file Loveless under shounen-ai. (That's where it is in my book shelf, anyway.) I don't really buy this "officially" shounen-ai (or not, as the case may be) thing. I mean, it isn't yaoi, by any stretch of imagination, but there are enough hints there that I think it works. Works for me, at any rate. (Ditto Demon Diary and Pet Shop of Horrors.)
I mean, an article on intelligent design was run in Discover magazine. Does that make it science? No.

Oh, and, if it's not shounen-ai, the guild banner needs work. wink

(Don't take this personally. I'm WICKED, WICKED BITCHY right now, 'cause I've got writers' block like woah and an essay due in two days.)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:15 pm
princessMeep
I'unno, I'd file Loveless under shounen-ai. (That's where it is in my book shelf, anyway.) I don't really buy this "officially" shounen-ai (or not, as the case may be) thing. I mean, it isn't yaoi, by any stretch of imagination, but there are enough hints there that I think it works. Works for me, at any rate. (Ditto Demon Diary and Pet Shop of Horrors.)

If we categorized everythign based on hints, I'd be throwing Gundam Wing, Weiss Kruez, Hunter x Hunter, Yu Yu Hakusho, Bleach, Naruto, and many many more in the mix. However, hints does not a Boy Love manga/anime make.

While Loveless has the kissy kissy stuff and the I love yous and cuddles, they serve a different function within the story. Now of course, to most people, that's enough to make it BL in their minds, but it's not really how it's presented. You can think it is, but for the purpose of categorization, it isn't. BL manga typically focus on the Boy Loving first of all and any story elements secondly. Loveless, however, focuses on the mystery of the brother's death and Ritsuka's growth etc and so forth. The lovey dovey is just a bonding/binding method that Soubi uses. Hell yeah it screams "SLASHY!" But as I said, that doesn't make it Boy Love.  

For-Chan Cookie
Captain

7,900 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Clambake 200

Pax et lux

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:56 pm
For-Chan Cookie
While Loveless has the kissy kissy stuff and the I love yous and cuddles, they serve a different function within the story. Now of course, to most people, that's enough to make it BL in their minds, but it's not really how it's presented. You can think it is, but for the purpose of categorization, it isn't. BL manga typically focus on the Boy Loving first of all and any story elements secondly. Loveless, however, focuses on the mystery of the brother's death and Ritsuka's growth etc and so forth. The lovey dovey is just a bonding/binding method that Soubi uses. Hell yeah it screams "SLASHY!" But as I said, that doesn't make it Boy Love.

Couldn't have said it better myself. =3

Soubi has to have a stronger bond with Ritsuka because the two don't share a name, so they're partners, rather than lovers; Fighter and Sacrifice, if you will. It's no doubt that the two may just end up together, but two guys kissing doesn't define it as a BL manga. (Same goes for Revolutionary Girl Utena; people call it Yuri/Shoujo-ai/etc. all the time, but it's still Shoujo in the end of the deal. The series is not about Anthy/Utena. :3)

If you want something BL by Yun Kouga, there's a series called "Kill Me" that you can download or buy, if you're lucky. She also draws a TON of doujinshi.

There's another thing that bugs me about LOVELESS fangirls, also: the fact that when they do slash Soubi and Ritsuka together, Soubi is the seme, but I guess I just read ahead too far for my own good. D:

Agh, I've tried cons, but I can't just seem to find them anywhere, and I hate the whole ordering off the internet-process... D:

[The Pocky Shop]____Discussion Of Pre-Existing Creations (Anime/Manga/Books)

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games