Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply Gaian British Guild
Great british books... Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

x.Tag.Youre__Pregnant.]]

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 2:12 pm
I just flicked through the threads and this didnt appear to be there..... sorry if it was, or if it comes under something else. now, my threads usually get deleted, but who reallly gives a toss?
I like melvin burgess's books, especially ''junk'' which i have read about 20 times and adore....
what books/authors do you like? do you even read..?Discuss.  
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 2:16 pm
I like Pratchet and Pullman. They are controvertial, witty, offensive, philosophical, and otherwise entertaining.

That said, I also like foreign writers such as Leroux, Robin Hobb and Alison Croggan.

My favourite books are:

'The Phantom of the Opera'
'The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents'
'The Farseer trilogy'
'The liveship traders trilogy'
'The Tawny man trilogy'
'His Dark Materials'
'The Gift'

and_solo_said

x.Tag.Youre__Pregnant.]]

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 2:18 pm
and_solo_said
I like Pratchet and Pullman. They are controvertial, witty, offensive, philosophical, and otherwise entertaining.

That said, I also like foreign writers such as Leroux, Robin Hobb and Alison Croggan.

My favourite books are:

'The Farseer trilogy'
'The Tawny man trilogy'
'His Dark Materials'
'The Gift'
I like terry prachett, but quite frankly i dont get why people are so obsessed with his dark materials. it is so BORING.  
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 2:19 pm
There IS an authors thread, somewhere in that lot, in case you were looking for it.  

illyrianth
Vice Captain

x.Tag.Youre__Pregnant.]]

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 2:23 pm
illyrianth
There IS an authors thread, somewhere in that lot, in case you were looking for it.
thankyou. im sorry.... a mod can delete this then...  
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 4:42 pm
Indie_Chick
I like terry prachett, but quite frankly i dont get why people are so obsessed with his dark materials. it is so BORING.

Well, as budding particle physicist with a interest in philosophy (and a side interest in theology and the development of religion), I could point out that Pullman hides some pretty intelligent and mature discussion in the books (well, final book aside; there he was pretty childish in his attack on religion, but I have to hand it to him, he did have the audacity to follow through with what he was hinting at doing).

I image a vast majority of the reading public would not appreciate the physics in his books like I did. >_>;;  

A Lost Iguana

Aged Pants

9,100 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

and_solo_said

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 2:50 am
A Lost Iguana
Indie_Chick

Well, as budding particle physicist with a interest in philosophy (and a side interest in theology and the development of religion), I could point out that Pullman hides some pretty intelligent and mature discussion in the books (well, final book aside; there he was pretty childish in his attack on religion, but I have to hand it to him, he did have the audacity to follow through with what he was hinting at doing).

I image a vast majority of the reading public would not appreciate the physics in his books like I did. >_>;;

I quite liked the way that he blatantly slandered religion in the last book. He was always hinting towards doing it, but the originality in it was the fact that he actually pulled through, and did not come up with some crap where god apologised and set the world right or something else along those lines  
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 7:47 am
Indie_Chick
and_solo_said

My favourite books are:

'The Farseer trilogy'
'The Tawny man trilogy'
'His Dark Materials'
'The Gift'

I concurr, I read the first one, found it alright. I prefer Colfer, Horowitz, Pratchet and Grant Naylor as book writers.  

Cleocatra

IRL Trash

34,625 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100

A Lost Iguana

Aged Pants

9,100 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 10:17 am
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 11:08 am
Boring? Boring? You can't be serious.  

Vanilla Pod

and_solo_said

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 11:17 am
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 11:20 am
I like the Dark Materials. A lot.
I dont like some of his other books so much (Ruby in the Smoke ....). But they were detective books and I dont realy like that genre.  

Shadow of an Illusion
Crew

and_solo_said

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 11:24 am
ice_illusion
I dont like some of his other books so much (Ruby in the Smoke ....). But they were detective books and I dont realy like that genre.

I liked the Ruby in The Smoke series, but the first few were not very well written, and I am not too big a fan of the detective genre. The last in the series (The Tin Princess) is one of my favourite books though. Well written, political, philosophical, and offensive biggrin  
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 1:54 pm
and_solo_said
ice_illusion

I liked the Ruby in The Smoke series, but the first few were not very well written, and I am not too big a fan of the detective genre. The last in the series (The Tin Princess) is one of my favourite books though. Well written, political, philosophical, and offensive biggrin

I dont think I read The Tin Princess. I just read the ones in the school libery.  

Shadow of an Illusion
Crew

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 2:01 pm
Psst! Steel yourselves, the 'Vampirates' series by new author Justin Somper is about to make a big impression.

ninja  
Gaian British Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces