Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Fluffy Question Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

A Bandit Queen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:51 pm
First off, I'm not a Pagan. For a while I thought I was Christian. Then I grew up and started thinking for myself. I started reading about a lot of different religions to see if maybe something would work better for me. Nothing did. I haven't found anything that defines what I think of life so far or what I think about the after life.

So, I just gave up. I believe there is some higher power, but I've given up on the idea that I know anything about it. Still, I celebrate as many religious holidays as I can and pray with people whenever I have the chance. I like to feel connected. That's what I think religion is for. No need to get caught up in the details.

My question is, why do you believe whatever it is you believe and do whatever rituals you do?  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:13 am
Elitist Pretzel Eater
First off, I'm not a Pagan. For a while I thought I was Christian. Then I grew up and started thinking for myself.

That attitude is ignorant, demeaning to all Christians and innappropriate for a place like this.
I have two friends who are devoutly Christian and both think for themselves and I resent the implication that my family are mindless automotons.

Elitist Pretzel Eater
My question is, why do you believe whatever it is you believe and do whatever rituals you do?

Because my Gods ask me to.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Kuroiban

Dapper Explorer

2,450 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:26 am
reagun ban
Elitist Pretzel Eater
First off, I'm not a Pagan. For a while I thought I was Christian. Then I grew up and started thinking for myself.

That attitude is ignorant, demeaning to all Christians and innappropriate for a place like this.
I have two friends who are devoutly Christian and both think for themselves and I resent the implication that my family are mindless automotons.

In all fairness, she only stated that she no longer considered herself Christian when she started thinking for herself. While I woudn't call you suspiscion unfounded, it might be better to clarify.

I as well have met many understanding, intelligent, free-thinking men and women of Christian faith. I've also met a bunch of pompous jerks, who will shove it down the ear hole of any moving object within 10 feet. It is quite possiable she was speaking of the later group's influence upon her life, and not the entire religion.

Welcome to the PFRC, Eater. A word of adivce; be very specific about how you word things here. People here will take you very literaly and very specifically, and with good reason; religious discussion and debates tend to come down to fine details at a rather epic rate.

On that note, you might want to explain how you meant that particular comment; it is rather easy to take it either way.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:04 am
Kuroiban
reagun ban
Elitist Pretzel Eater

In all fairness, she only stated that she no longer considered herself Christian when she started thinking for herself. While I woudn't call you suspiscion unfounded, it might be better to clarify.
It was implied in her wording that Christians don't think for themselves. It is possible to read tone of voice in text. However we also don't have to get bogged down in semantics.

Elitist Pretzel Eater
I spent a long time looking for what would work for me. When I found it, it stuck.  

Pelta

A Bandit Queen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:31 pm
Actually, I was only talking about me. And, that really wasn't the point of the thread.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:52 pm
Elitist Pretzel Eater
Actually, I was only talking about me. And, that really wasn't the point of the thread.

Perhaps not the thread, but religious tolerance as a whole isn't a casual concept here; more the order of the day.

More on topic, my beliefs are still very much undefined. I have not done ritual work in years, for a variety of reasons.  

Kuroiban

Dapper Explorer

2,450 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100

A Bandit Queen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:08 am
Why do you even want beliefs in the first place? What do they do for you?  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:29 am
Elitist Pretzel Eater
Why do you even want beliefs in the first place?

I don't. My life would be far simpler if I didn't believe.
You seem to be fairly ignorant of what faith is. Most people do not choose to believe or what they believe.

Elitist Pretzel Eater
What do they do for you?

Complicate my life, make it even harder for me to relate to joe bloggs, etc.

Stop looking at "what can I gain from my faith", it doesn't work that way for the most part. There are Gods with whom you can enter non-faith based pacts, wherein you agree to be their whipping boy in exchange for the right to use their Names, but I'm a little dubious of any God who does so and even more so of any person who would enter such an agreement without thinking it through thoroughly.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

A Bandit Queen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:56 am
reagun ban
Elitist Pretzel Eater
Why do you even want beliefs in the first place?

I don't. My life would be far simpler if I didn't believe.
You seem to be fairly ignorant of what faith is. Most people do not choose to believe or what they believe.

Elitist Pretzel Eater
What do they do for you?

Complicate my life, make it even harder for me to relate to joe bloggs, etc.

Stop looking at "what can I gain from my faith", it doesn't work that way for the most part. There are Gods with whom you can enter non-faith based pacts, wherein you agree to be their whipping boy in exchange for the right to use their Names, but I'm a little dubious of any God who does so and even more so of any person who would enter such an agreement without thinking it through thoroughly.

I don't understand. You don't choose to believe in what you believe in?  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:15 am
Elitist Pretzel Eater
I don't understand. You don't choose to believe in what you believe in?

If I could choose what to believe in, I'd be Christian. I would rather believe that merely by following one simple rule, I would be gauranteed a place in Heaven and not have to come back to this planet ever again. Christianity is a beatiful religion.

But I don't believe it. The Christian God has never spoken to me. He has never affected my life. The Celtic Gods do. I don't, so much, believe in them as acknowledge they exist and work with them. I don't see the point in believing in them it would be like believing in the post man and it just encourages them  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

A Bandit Queen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:18 am
How do the Celtic gods affect your life in a way that the Christian god doesn't?  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:25 am
Elitist Pretzel Eater
How do the Celtic gods affect your life in a way that the Christian god doesn't?

At all, would be a good start.
I feel Their presence, I hear (and sometimes even obey) Their commands, They guide me.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

A Bandit Queen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:29 am
reagun ban
Elitist Pretzel Eater

At all, would be a good start.
I feel Their presence, I hear (and sometimes even obey) Their commands, They guide me.

Does it make you happy?  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:57 am
Elitist Pretzel Eater
Does it make you happy?

At times it is a strain, at times it is a joy, at times it is a pain in the ******** a**. All in all, it balances out. Of the friends and family who are devoutly Christian, I would say I have a more demanding faith than all but one (who is devoutly Roman Catholic) but I wouldn't state that it's more fulfilling (except for me)  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:19 am
Everything that Reagun has said up to this point, double it to include me as well.

My gods are a pain in the... well, head.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff