Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Intimidation Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kuroiban

Dapper Explorer

2,450 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:13 pm
Okay, so here is the haps.

When last I poked my nose in here, I was trying to find myself religiously to some degree. After having some risidual fluff torn out of some random parts of my brain, I settled on looking in to a few different paths of recon and seeing if I could find something within them.

After asking for some help in this catagory, I recieved some wonderful links filled with page after page of information. Go information! I started poking around, and...

Well I got nowhere... sweatdrop

I had no idea what I was even looking at most of the time. When I do, sometimes I'm looking at so much I can even make heads or tails of any of it. I HAVE come away with some understanding out of the whole deal, in that I realize now what has prevented me from making any headway of a signifigant nature for...wow...approximately 10 years.

I'm completely and utterly intimidated by the subject matter. I have no idea of what in the names of anything nameable I'm doing. I'm petrified about doing something wrong (which I realize how silly it sounds).

Does anyone have any suggestions for me on how to get past any of this mental bullcrap?  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:21 pm
Is this basically a problem of there's just so much out there you don't know where to start?  

Pelta

Kuroiban

Dapper Explorer

2,450 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:18 pm
missmagpie
Is this basically a problem of there's just so much out there you don't know where to start?

That would be prime amonst the issues here. It's also hard to tell what is valuable information from bunk (thanks Llelwyn! confused ).  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:19 pm
Why don't you start with yourself? It is easy to become overwhelmd by the information from out there, so take some time to digest it.  

Molly Mollusca

Dapper Seeker

Fiddlers Green

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:25 pm
The first mastery is the mastery of the self.
To best reach a goal, it is important to know what it is you truely want.
How will you know when you have found that which you seek?  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:28 pm
Kuroiban
missmagpie

That would be prime amonst the issues here. It's also hard to tell what is valuable information from bunk (thanks Llelwyn! confused ).

Right. First of all, in all of the research you've done is there anything that strikes your fancy? What sort of stuff would you like to learn about? Ask yourself, because in the end it's your path. What sort of things are you interested in?

It can be anything as simple as "stones are fun" to "let's try extremely complicated Jewish mysticism!"

Perhaps if you still can't choose an area you can start with some decent beginner books. Cunninghams elemental stuff has garnered some praise around here. Check out some of the easier things. You don't have to jump in the deep end to learn how to swim. wink

You're never going to learn if you don't at least try. Paganism isn't for the weak of heart. If you're afraid of learning then it isn't for you.  

Pelta

Kuroiban

Dapper Explorer

2,450 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:29 pm
Elfin Brill
Why don't you start with yourself? It is easy to become overwhelmd by the information from out there, so take some time to digest it.

Honestly, there is so much of it, I can't even begin to process some of it...or even how to begin with it.

A side note: it may prove helpful to say that I have ADHD.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:42 pm
Ah, so focusing is, to start with, hard enough?

Well sometimes the only way to learn is just to try and make mistakes (or what might seem like mistakes....). You learn from those. Don't be affraid of them...
Start somewhere. Doesn;t matter where... Could be celebrating full moons to invertigating stones. Just start practizing. Meditation might be a good one, if you want to know what is in you. It is also good for your focusing. Start keeping a journal. Just don;t do everything at the same time, choose one thing to practize for a set time. Then when the set time is over you can choose:"This is for me! " or "Nah, i'm going to look further..."  

Molly Mollusca

Dapper Seeker

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:50 pm
Kuroiban

NO EXCUSES!!!

We with ADHD are completly capable of focusing on one thing at a ....ahh, who am I kidding.

The overinformation load is your problem. Pick one subject (s**t, pick one at random, of divine it if needed) and exhaust it.

You wanna try to conquer meditation together?  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:45 pm
Nuri
Kuroiban

NO EXCUSES!!!

We with ADHD are completly capable of focusing on one thing at a ....ahh, who am I kidding.

The overinformation load is your problem. Pick one subject (s**t, pick one at random, of divine it if needed) and exhaust it.

Can we make it a circle of people who want to sit down and conquer it? ninja  

Kal Eldritch

VisasMarr

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:48 pm
Sovereign of Darkness
Nuri
Kuroiban

NO EXCUSES!!!

Can we make it a circle of people who want to sit down and conquer it? ninja

*raises hand*
Meee too!

To the OP: You and me both. *nods*  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:50 pm
I'm conquering meditation by making it mine. I printed off a couple of color your own mandalas and was really suprised at how well I used it. it's research time, and working at it.  

maenad nuri
Captain

Kuroiban

Dapper Explorer

2,450 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:28 pm
Nuri
NO EXCUSES!!!

Don't scare me like that! eek

Working on meditation is, really, a different kettle of fish altogether. However I would HAPPILY accept any help/advice/group work that was offered for it.

Picking one topic is kinda hard as it is. I wanted to work on a recon, but I really can't make heads or tails of what I'm even looking at. I started with Celtic recon, and Tea gave me a wonderful link.

I can't make heads or tails of the raw, pure, and unadulterated information. I have no idea what even constitutes a starting point...or even what I'm looking for, how to utilize it, and how to work with it.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:49 am
Kuroiban
I can't make heads or tails of the raw, pure, and unadulterated information. I have no idea what even constitutes a starting point...or even what I'm looking for, how to utilize it, and how to work with it.

If you've read through stuff and don't understand it perhaps you should start somewhere simpler. Keep in mind that most people do a LOT of searching before they find the path that suits them. It's ok to be a bit wobbly for a while. Just pick something, anything that interests you and research it. It's also important to try to utilise what you learn. If you're afraid of getting it wrong, you're never going to get it right. wink  

Pelta

Gideon Starorzewski

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:44 pm
Chaos magic and working with sigils is a great idea for getting started as it starts out pretty basic and gives you all the room you need to explore later on.

Pop Magic! by Grant Morrison

Liber MMM by Peter J Carroll

Liber KKK by Peter J Carroll

But above all, especially when you're starting out, go with your "gut instinct." There's probably a reason you're getting into all this, and it's probably not the reason you think it is, so if something feels right go for it even if you're not entirely sure why.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff