Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Various Wiccan Traditions? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Darin Rosewood

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:00 pm
Okay, I'm taking this first senstence to say that I'm not Wiccan. Interested in becoming Wiccan, yes. In reality? No. Okay, now that that's out of the way, I've been studying Wicca for awhile now, and am now thinking about joining a coven. My question is, which tradition? From what I've read, there's a ton, and I'm trying to narrow it down to a few. What's the difference between the different traditions, their beliefs, practices, types of magick taught, etc. I know I'm ignorant, all right? I'm trying to learn as much as I can, but until then, I'm a Wiccan n00b. ^_^ Note: it doesn't have to be Wicca, that's just the religion I know the most about at the moment. Any other information would be appreciated, even if not strictly Wicca-related. :]  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:36 am
Darin Rosewood
Note: it doesn't have to be Wicca, that's just the religion I know the most about at the moment. Any other information would be appreciated, even if not strictly Wicca-related. :]

For a partial list of Pagan Traditions, Wiccan and otherwise: http://www.witchvox.com/_x.html?c=trads

You may find it useful to see what Pagan Traditions are represented in your area.  

Doctrix

Blessed Friend

Kal Eldritch

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:37 pm
You should really watch out. Some of those variants of "Wicca" are pretty damned...not-wicca(the person who put Egyptian and Faery Wicca on Wikipedia, you know who you are scream ).

As for other kinds of info, what exactly would you want to know? I could mention a couple of religions off of the top of my head, but I don't know what good that would do...  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:02 pm
I could have sworn you were going to look into other paths as well. sweatdrop  

TeaDidikai

Doctrix

Blessed Friend

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:29 pm
Sovereign of Darkness
You should really watch out. Some of those variants of "Wicca" are pretty damned...not-wicca
TeaDidikai
I could have sworn you were going to look into other paths as well.

Hmm... He said at the end that,
Darin Rosewood
it doesn't have to be Wicca, that's just the religion I know the most about at the moment.
I guess I should clarify to him that this qualification was what caused me to throw the Vox link. It appears that he is looking into non-Wiccan paths as well.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:30 pm
[Kudzu]
Sovereign of Darkness
You should really watch out. Some of those variants of "Wicca" are pretty damned...not-wicca
TeaDidikai
I could have sworn you were going to look into other paths as well.

Hmm... He said at the end that,
Darin Rosewood
it doesn't have to be Wicca, that's just the religion I know the most about at the moment.
I guess I should clarify to him that this qualification was what caused me to throw the Vox link. It appears that he is looking into non-Wiccan paths as well.
Yeah, it could be anything, it's just that I think it'd be easier to find a Wiccan group in my area than some uber little-known "organization" that for all I know could be full of serial killers. That, and Wicca seems to appeal to me for various reasons. And no, it's not just because of "t3h ubar majikkal skillz," as the Fluffyzillas put it. Thanks guys, for all your help. I've been to Witchvox before, but the only groups I could find in my area were some little-known traditions that I'm finding it hard to get information on, eclectic groups (which everyone on here seems to hate, equating it to culture rape), and one really weird thing called the "Ancient Order of the Golden Wizard" that makes you pay $500 for classes in magic, and doesn't look like a real religion. Looks more like the "ubar majikkal" version of Scientology to me.  

Darin Rosewood

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:21 pm
don't count out the eclectic groups until you meet with them. Sometimes it just means they don't fit into one particular pattern-or that they do mostly open work, and let people of all types join in.

Nothing wrong with that.

Now, if they are invoking Kali as a loving peaceful maiden, you may have a problem.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:55 pm
Darin Rosewood
Yeah, it could be anything, it's just that I think it'd be easier to find a Wiccan group in my area than some uber little-known "organization" that for all I know could be full of serial killers.
You mean... like Wicca?  

TeaDidikai

Kuroiban

Dapper Explorer

2,450 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:38 pm
TeaDidikai
Darin Rosewood
Yeah, it could be anything, it's just that I think it'd be easier to find a Wiccan group in my area than some uber little-known "organization" that for all I know could be full of serial killers.
You mean... like Wicca?

LOL...that was mean.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:40 pm
Kuroiban
TeaDidikai
Darin Rosewood
You mean... like Wicca?

LOL...that was mean.
But accurate.

It's not like being Wiccan makes you a good person.  

TeaDidikai

Darin Rosewood

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:34 pm
TeaDidikai
Darin Rosewood
You mean... like Wicca?
ROFL, but I'm at least moderately sure that not every Wiccan in the group is a serial killer. ^_^  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:36 pm
Darin Rosewood
TeaDidikai
Darin Rosewood
You mean... like Wicca?
ROFL, but I'm at least moderately sure that not every Wiccan in the group is a serial killer. ^_^
You have no more cause to be sure of that than you have cause to think that there is a serial killer in an Eclectic Group.  

TeaDidikai

Kuroiban

Dapper Explorer

2,450 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:43 pm
TeaDidikai
Kuroiban
TeaDidikai
Darin Rosewood
You mean... like Wicca?

LOL...that was mean.
But accurate.

It's not like being Wiccan makes you a good person.

I said mean...not wrong. wink  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:47 pm
TeaDidikai
Darin Rosewood
TeaDidikai
Darin Rosewood
You mean... like Wicca?
You have no more cause to be sure of that than you have cause to think that there is a serial killer in an Eclectic Group.
I didn't say an eclectic group might be full of serial killers, I said that some tradition that no one's ever heard of and has little or no information to go by could very well be full of serial killers. I have no problems with eclectic traditions, other than that I'm worried I might be pissing off the God I'm "worshipping."  

Darin Rosewood

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:50 pm
Darin Rosewood
TeaDidikai
Darin Rosewood
TeaDidikai
Darin Rosewood
You mean... like Wicca?
I didn't say an eclectic group might be full of serial killers, I said that some tradition that no one's ever heard of and has little or no information to go by could very well be full of serial killers. I have no problems with eclectic traditions, other than that I'm worried I might be pissing off the God I'm "worshipping."
You're missing my point.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces