Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
We are not recognized... Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

will you help?
  YES
View Results

xxantuxx

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:31 pm
Well, we arent by most governments either but I found Wikipedia's wikibook section, and looked under religion, there is not a single thing about paganism under there. Magick as a religion was mentioned but there was no link, and I found this appauling and I know that we can do better than this. I say we all gather ourselves and write a book for wikipedia about wicca, paganism or something along those lines! Who's with me?  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:50 pm
xxantuxx
Well, we arent by most governments either
Okay- I know this isn't M&R, but I have to do it. May Nuri refrain from smiting me.

Do you have any proof for this assertion?
I haven't heard of a Westernized nation that doesn't acknowledge paganism.
I have heard of a number of third world nations that acknowledge pagans and witches and have been known to execute ones blamed for misfortune.

The last laws on the books in England were taken off in the mid 1950's.
The US Armed Forces Chaplin's Field Guide mentions a handful of pagan faiths.
Ireland's laws against Witchcraft were off the books in the '70s I believe.
I think Scotland was in the 40's, but don't quote me on that one.

Further- there are whole villages in Eastern Europe that have heavy double faith traditions.

In short- I would like you to cite a government that does not acknowledge alternative faiths- for better or worse.

Quote:
but I found Wikipedia's wikibook section, and looked under religion, there is not a single thing about paganism under there.
So? Wikipedia as a whole has a hell of a lot of information on paganism.

Quote:
Magick as a religion was mentioned but there was no link, and I found this appauling and I know that we can do better than this. I say we all gather ourselves and write a book for wikipedia about wicca, paganism or something along those lines! Who's with me?
I sure as hell am not.

All the effort that is sunk into Wikipedia that resembles anything along the lines of reason and accuracy is usually revised beyond reason.

Further- what do you plan to write? The only unifying factor for most of paganism is that they don't worship YHVH. Hardly something to write home about. rolleyes  

TeaDidikai

Starlock

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:27 am
Concurrance with Tea in questioning WHAT governments do not recognize Paganism. Last I was aware, Neopagan and Pagan faiths are recognized, though as minority religions (in the West), they often have to put up with some slights every so often from a legal/rights/descrimination standpoint.

What I think is more of an issue is the bizzare omission of Paganism as a world religion from various texts available, for Paganism is most certainly a world religion (seeing as how it's the foundation of all religion in the first place). That campaign would require bringing the idea to the attention of the academics. There have been some pushes for that already by other scholars, but it hasn't caught on yet. These things can take time, ya know?  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:58 am
Starlock

What I think is more of an issue is the bizzare omission of Paganism as a world religion from various texts available, for Paganism is most certainly a world religion (seeing as how it's the foundation of all religion in the first place).
I contest this assertion on the grouds that Paganism isn't a religion at all.

It's a catchall term for anyone who isn't a member of a select group of religions.  

TeaDidikai

Tsuzuki

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:15 pm
TeaDidikai
The only unifying factor for most of paganism is that they don't worship YHVH.
And then there are those that do.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:21 pm
Tsuzuki
TeaDidikai
The only unifying factor for most of paganism is that they don't worship YHVH.
And then there are those that do.
Pish. You’re only a pagan one day out of the week. (Wednesdays, yes?)  

TeaDidikai

Starlock

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:10 am
TeaDidikai
Starlock

What I think is more of an issue is the bizzare omission of Paganism as a world religion from various texts available, for Paganism is most certainly a world religion (seeing as how it's the foundation of all religion in the first place).

It's a catchall term for anyone who isn't a member of a select group of religions.

That's only one usage of the term Paganism. I personally do not ever use it as the 'catch-all term' (aka, any religion which is not one of the big three western Monotheist religions)... aplogies for the confusion. The definition I use is a consensus between several soruces, in prime M. Adler and M. York. Using THAT as a basis, Paganism IS a religion in of itself and ALSO describes a number of religions. Depends on what definition you're using.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:06 am
It would probably be a frivolous attempt at best. Idiots constantly revise the Wicca page to be incorrect, so I wouldn't even bet on anything on pagan in general being accurate in the end.

Point in case: "Faery" and Eclectic Wicca.  

Kal Eldritch

PhantomPhoenix0

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:44 pm
Starlock
TeaDidikai
Starlock

That's only one usage of the term Paganism. I personally do not ever use it as the 'catch-all term' (aka, any religion which is not one of the big three western Monotheist religions)... aplogies for the confusion. The definition I use is a consensus between several soruces, in prime M. Adler and M. York. Using THAT as a basis, Paganism IS a religion in of itself and ALSO describes a number of religions. Depends on what definition you're using.

May I ask how any defenition of Paganism allows it to be a standalone religion? I'm curious to see how one can use an umbrella term to describe a single religion. It sounds to me like calling a religion Abrahamic, and those who follow it are Abrahamists.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:19 pm
Oh heavens please establish Paganism as a specific religion, rather than faith other than Abrahamic, Vedic, or Buddhist. surprised
I'm sick of being umbrellaed under a Roman slur for Hick anyway. whee  

Fiddlers Green

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:48 pm
Fiddlers Green
Oh heavens please establish Paganism as a specific religion, rather than faith other than Abrahamic, Vedic, or Buddhist. surprised
I'm sick of being umbrellaed under a Roman slur for Hick anyway. whee
~smirks... points at the heath~

However, I am with Fiddler on this. If Pagan is a specific religion- then it doesn't apply to me and all those lackluster negitive-theology buffs out there can stop considering me amongst them on GP.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:20 am
TeaDidikai
However, I am with Fiddler on this. If Pagan is a specific religion- then it doesn't apply to me and all those lackluster negitive-theology buffs out there can stop considering me amongst them on GP.
Woohoo I'm not Pagan anymore! ~dances~ I'm back to being a good ole... Erm. Something. Whatever. Thingummy!

That's what I am! I'm a highly advanced, one of a kind Thingummy!  

Pelta

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:22 am
missmagpie
TeaDidikai
Woohoo I'm not Pagan anymore! ~dances~ I'm back to being a good ole... Erm. Something. Whatever. Thingummy!

I knew you were thin but I didn't know you were a gummy.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:25 am
reagun ban
missmagpie

You haven't chewed on me enough xd

You know what they say about eating too much of something when you're young...  

Pelta

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:30 am
missmagpie
reagun ban
missmagpie

You haven't chewed on me enough xd

You know what they say about eating too much of something when you're young...

There's a fairly simple reason that I haven't chewed on you.... and when I was young, you'd have been.... oh... wait, that's not what you meant XP  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff