Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply Gaian British Guild
Battle of the browsers. Muhahaha. Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Browser?
Internet explorer
44%
 44%  [ 11 ]
Mozilla Firefox
40%
 40%  [ 10 ]
Opera
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Safari
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
MSN Browser
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
On toast, please.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other (Specify, kthx.)
12%
 12%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 25

Gaulia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:29 am
Now, if I was feeling REALLY stupid and shitty, I'd say, "IE sucks", followed by "Let there be flames.". Of course, I'm sure you'r eall too nice to do that and so I'll make something with a vague structure to it.

gonk I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of you use IE [Internet explorer, the thing you're viewing this page in if you're REALLY, REALLY that slow], because it's standard, comes with windows ['kay, usually. Most often.], and, well, does the job. I've used it for nearly as long as I've been online for, and didn't really THINK that people used other browsers. Over the years I made good friends with the back button, all the windows I had open for separate sites, and the blocky, default buttons that, come on, we all love.

But recently, for one reason or another [I can't remember why, I think it had something to do with some spammer.] I downloaded... Mozilla firefox. O: At first, I hated it. truely. For a start, it's a bit messy as default, and the tabs were confusing. Not to mention it was pretty bland, and the way it loads images is mightily annoying. [Although there's a nifty little feature that allows you to turn the images off altogether.]. However, it's /extremely/ customisable, and you can download some pretty damn nifty plugins which makes it cleaner, can cut the number of windows you have open and give you some laughs.

whee If I was that bothered about being fair, I'd use Opera for a few days, Safari, and the MSN browser for a few days seeing as these are the most popular. But I'm really not that bothered.
So I'm interested -
What browser do you use? Why is it good, why is it bad?
Ever used anything OTHER than that browser? Liked it / didn't like it?

PS - firefox > all. /obvious bias.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:47 am
Firefox is the best. anyone who disagrees is just ignorant of the blatent truth.

Here are the reasons though:
1) Tabs
2) Extensions
3) Very few security exploits
4) Open Source

Now, for some people, 4 is a bad thing. Once again, those people are just ignorant of how open source is far superior to any other form of technology.  

Zoutout

Lizbeth_r9

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:18 am
Zoutout
Firefox is the best. anyone who disagrees is just ignorant of the blatent truth.

Here are the reasons though:
1) Tabs
2) Extensions
3) Very few security exploits
4) Open Source

Now, for some people, 4 is a bad thing. Once again, those people are just ignorant of how open source is far superior to any other form of technology.

Open source is a great idea (with the original designers permission, as it is their intellectual property)  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:04 am
true, but I believe that Opera uses a tabbing system too.

xd I've downloaded a whole bunch of extensions for Firefox - everything from things I don't even USE for their purpose [Uh, the eggtimer for instance biggrin ], to thinks I couldn't live without [FOXYTUNES. HELL YES.].
Quicknote is wonderful, too. heart
o_o I have twenty two extensions.  

Gaulia

Tailos-teichou

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:20 am
I disagree with you all on one point alone. There is no real clearcut winner of the Browser war.

Sure, Mozilla and Opera have tabbed browsers, nifty extensions or what-have-you... but really, how widespread is their usage? How many people are computer-savvy enough in the world to give more than two shits whether Mozilla/Opera has tabbed browsers, if IE works for them?

Hell, I use Firefox and IE. IE is a pretty decent all-purpose browser. Okay, fine, i'm more liable to get viruses and popups by using it, but I find it pretty easy to use and good for just generally checking websites which I know are safe (Gaia Online, for example).

If I really want that extra security for my passwords, cache, and what-not, I'll switch over to Firefox. I can wipe away my pr0n stash with the History erase button there, which is handier than having to work through all of the menus in IE. Which are clunky and a pain in the neck. But Firefox has a nasty way of displaying images, when you consider how many sites nowadays are moving towards graphical content, frames, and Javascript. I don't want to have to download all these plugins because FF won't run, but IE will.

Catch my drift?

( Though, I prefer Firefox. I just utilise both in different things, such as email, password protections, and filtering off spam from h4xx0r gaming sites. )  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:42 am
Firefox rules! Another exuse to systematically undermine Microsoft's attempts to dominate the PC market with clunky, highly inefficient software. Open source rules!! wink xd  

Nebelstern
Crew

and_solo_said

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:52 am
FIREFOX FIREFOX FIREFOX FIREFOX  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:02 pm
Internet Explorer..  

Invictus_88
Captain

Nebelstern
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:04 pm
Invictus_88
Internet Explorer..

You seriously still use that?
My God man! Get Firefox! It is free! I have taken the liberty of providing a link...

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

YOU SHALL BE A CONVERT!
xd  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:04 pm
Well, I'd root for either Firefox or Safari myself. Probably Firefox.
I've been away, from the GBG for a few days, and on my return I find a lot of bizarre topics o.O  

Boolean Julian
Crew

Arivel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:52 pm
Invictus_88
Internet Explorer..
Ah, don't worry Invi, I use Internet Explorer too...  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:54 pm
Arivel
Invictus_88
Internet Explorer..

stare F-I-R-E-F-O-X!! *shakes fist*  

Nebelstern
Crew

Arivel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:56 pm
Nebelstern
Arivel
Invictus_88
Internet Explorer..

W-H-A-T-E-V-E-R!! *glares* I'll change my brower when I please. Shake your fist all you like, it won't help.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:06 pm
Arivel
Nebelstern
Arivel
Invictus_88
Internet Explorer..

W-H-A-T-E-V-E-R!! *glares* I'll change my brower when I please. Shake your fist all you like, it won't help.

Or even a browser? wink xd  

Nebelstern
Crew

Arivel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:15 pm
Nebelstern
Arivel
Nebelstern
Arivel
Invictus_88
Internet Explorer..

W-H-A-T-E-V-E-R!! *glares* I'll change my browser when I please. Shake your fist all you like, it won't help.

Or even a browser? wink xd

*resists urge to stab you* You. Irk. Me. Sometimes. xp stare xd  
Gaian British Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas