Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Shounen Ai and Yaoi Guild

Back to Guilds

A Guild dedicated to discussing Yaoi and Boy Love. 

Tags: yaoi, shounen ai, boy love, anime, manga 

Reply The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild
Yaoi couples biased? EDIT Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

UlooAloo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:50 pm
Well, my freind and I are working on a comic. The two charecters I want to focus on right now are a guy and a girl (how many of you stopped reading right there?). Well, the girl is meant to look like a guy. She is not suposed to be reveled as a girl untill later in the story. My freinds question is : If she were to reveel that the guy was acctually a girl, would people stop liking the couple?
The point is...Are some pairings just formed because of the fact that they are both guys, or is there evidence to their relationship? How many of you are guilty of or noticed pairings being made because of the gender? Would you stop likeing the couple if you figured out the uke was a girl? Do you think others will?

I understand that most people are not as that shallow. I'm just saying, yaoi/shonen-ai seems a bit biased.

Yes, this thread is somewhat pointless, and may be a bit offensive. I'm sorry. <3 I do not mean to waste your time, but I noticed that the younger generation seems to like shonen-ai only because of the fact that they are both guys.
(I'm not very good at first posts. D: )

(I can't spell, yes I am part of the younger generation...so sue me.)<33

-------------------------------------------

EDIT: Technically she doesn't disuise herself. The clothing she weres is coed. Pluss, she would rather stay behind and go un-noticed rather than have cat calls following her everywere. People just MISTAKE her for a guy. She does not care when people call her a he, and she does not object. She perfers it. This isn't the annoying kind of story, were the girl is all "hehehe". There is no Seme, there is no Uke. XP OK....

The main charecter is the only one who thinks she is a guy. Hes just stupid.

Its a shonen. Not a shoujo. =3 Its an action adventure thing. <3

The guy is the main charecter, this is a side romance thing.

The girl is quite, out-of-the-way-esque. Shes also stronger than the guy. She wont talk to people unless they talk to her first. She isn't outgoing. Think of San from Princess Mononoke. Shes a stalker. B)

The guy is the typical shonen charecter. He isn't afraid to hit a girl. Hes not the annoying type of person who is all "I wanna be the best. Lawl!!!11!" Hes kind of mischeviose, and such.

(I can't spell D: )  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:00 pm
Oh, no, not at all for me. See, to me, it makes no real difference to me. The reason that I like BL in the first place is A.) The storylines tend to be more original and B.) Pretty, which speaks for itself. I love guy/girl couples as well, because to it's nice to think about having such a relationship, though I am fully aware of it's unrealistic qualities.

Kare Kano.

Nuff said.

I would still read it, in other words. It's a cool plot twist.  

Kitsune-chi

UlooAloo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:02 pm
Kitsune-chi
Oh, no, not at all for me. See, to me, it makes no real difference to me. The reason that I like BL in the first place is A.) The storylines tend to be more original and B.) Pretty, which speaks for itself. I love guy/girl couples as well, because to it's nice to think about having such a relationship, though I am fully aware of it's unrealistic qualities.

Kare Kano.

Nuff said.

I would still read it, in other words. It's a cool plot twist.
Oh, ok I see. <3 (Same here.)
It just seemed like people were begining to be really shallow. XP  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:48 pm
[ Woah! I would love a story like that! ]

[ But, saddly, I think that a lot of fangirls might be pissed at that story.That's one thing that bothers me a little about other yaoi fans, is that some want only the lust part. But their are also a lot of others like me, so...it's hard to say really... ]O_O

[ Gender twists are always fun. Like Ouran Highschool]<3

.husbife

Ace of Blue Spades

Questionable Cat

32,450 Points
  • Enemy of the Goat 25
  • Festive Eye 50
  • Tree's the Season 100
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:40 pm
Well, I don't doubt that there are people who'd stop reading at that part and be pretty mad about it, but that's immaturity speaking. I'd continue reading so I could find out why she dressed as a boy, or why she didn't flat out say she was a girl, or whatever else was to be revealed along with her actual sex. If done right it could be a very interesting twist to read.

It would also be good to see how the relationship develops in light of the revelation. (Assuming this isn't an established relationship and the guy already knows.)

In general, there some who like a couple merely because it's two guys. That's why it's a fad and why that group is dubbed rabid fangirls. They're the annoying people we try to avoid. I wouldn't worry about them too much.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:48 am
I love those kind of stories! (Kill Me/Kiss Me) Just as long the girl doesnt magically turn a gay man straight with her charm and love. 'Cause THAT'S biased.

Riosin

The Vampire DarksLight

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:12 am
So long as the art/story is good/enjoyable then it doesnt matter to me in the slightest 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:05 am
This is the thought I got after reding first post of this thread. I don't know if it has anything to do with this threads subject, but I post it anyway, it remains to be seen if someone reads it, ne? ^_^

- - -

When I was young and innocent I always heard that it was strange for boys liking Shounen Ai, even for gay boys. Because gay boys thought that Shounen Ai was ridiculous and way to romantic (I'm sure you heard the drill somewhere ^^ wink . I didn't get it then... but now when I'm older I start to see what they mean. Not that I agree, my thoughts now are a bit different.

I really don't like to read Shounen Ai manga anymore. I have read some, and they're all... so boring. And all that matters is that they are GAY. FORBIDDEN LOVE; SEME; UKE etc. I don't like the Seme-Uke system in the first place. It's a bit disturbing that all Shounen Ai manga I have read is based on this system (I'm not saying ALL Shounen Ai-manga are like this, but the most are). I havn't been in a relationship, but still I don't think it work that seme-uke way in reality, at least not for me. All seme-characters are so MATURE, HANDSOME and boring. All uke-characters are so INNOCENT, CUTE and crybabies. So what do I like? I like to read about relationships there none of them are seme or uke... just normal cool guys. That's why I think slash parings you make yourself are better than real shounen ai pairings.

Also, it's all that gay stuff. Of course Shounen Ai is gay stuff, you can't escape that, but I will tell you what I mean. Thought this is hard to explain but I try. It's not many movies, books, mangas, animes which contains gays I've seen or read that doesn't put the being-gay thing in focus. I like to read about gay people, I'm a gay male myself and the reason I like YAOI is that it is something related to me and my prefferences. But I like to read about gay people in natural circumstances. It's so annoyning that every gay is SO GAY, everything he does has to do with that he is gay. One time, I read a book with a straight couple aloud, but I gave the female character a male name and read she as he, and that was s perfect! No one questioned 'him', 'he' was natural and did normal stuff and also the relationship with 'his' boyfriend was more exciting than any Shounen Ai manga or book I ever read, just because they were so even in a way. I don't think there is anything special with being gay. That's why I would like to read stuff that don't make so big fuss over that being-gay thing.  

Wires in a Box

Invisible Shapeshifter

11,400 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
  • Generous 100

oO-Ui-Oo

Friendly Puppy

13,625 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Doggone It! 100
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:01 am
nope of course not ^_^
i know what you mean though.. i saw fans like that.. i dont understand them really O_O

im not a big fan of shojou-ai right, but if a shonen-ai couple turned into one in a doujinshi or something it wouldent matter really, just so long as it dosent involve like switching positions (for example a seme of the relationship turning into a girl)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:33 am
I'll like a character, or couple, because of the personality...and believability, too(and yes, this includes original works too). If you pull it off well, then I'll probably like it. It really all depends on execution.  

Seijaku_Ishida

8,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Brandisher 100

psychotic LEE

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:05 am
Hm... I really couldn't be the judge of that being a new fan and all but really. It's the plot is good, artwork is fine I'm sure it would be feasible. mrgreen Sorry if that didn't help... ninja But somepeople might be after tha lust... Why won't create a poll and find out? 4laugh
~ Lance  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:13 pm
Rio Ri
I love those kind of stories! (Kill Me/Kiss Me) Just as long the girl doesnt magically turn a gay man straight with her charm and love. 'Cause THAT'S biased.
Yes, I must agree. That is rather annoying. From then on it would be flat out 'shojo', or at least the annoying kind.  

UlooAloo

UlooAloo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:15 pm
Thank you for the comments everyone. <3 My freind and I are still trying to figure out if we are going to do this, sadly...I beleive that there are more 'rabid yaoi fangirls' out there who will only like the pairing because its guy x guy, than people like all of you. <3  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:28 pm
kiba132324
Rio Ri
Yes, I must agree. That is rather annoying. From then on it would be flat out 'shojo', or at least the annoying kind.

...Fushigi Yuugi -_-

Riosin

Kitsune-chi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:56 pm
hentai shumi KAMON BEIBII
This is the thought I got after reding first post of this thread. I don't know if it has anything to do with this threads subject, but I post it anyway, it remains to be seen if someone reads it, ne? ^_^

- - -

When I was young and innocent I always heard that it was strange for boys liking Shounen Ai, even for gay boys. Because gay boys thought that Shounen Ai was ridiculous and way to romantic (I'm sure you heard the drill somewhere ^^ wink . I didn't get it then... but now when I'm older I start to see what they mean. Not that I agree, my thoughts now are a bit different.

I really don't like to read Shounen Ai manga anymore. I have read some, and they're all... so boring. And all that matters is that they are GAY. FORBIDDEN LOVE; SEME; UKE etc. I don't like the Seme-Uke system in the first place. It's a bit disturbing that all Shounen Ai manga I have read is based on this system (I'm not saying ALL Shounen Ai-manga are like this, but the most are). I havn't been in a relationship, but still I don't think it work that seme-uke way in reality, at least not for me. All seme-characters are so MATURE, HANDSOME and boring. All uke-characters are so INNOCENT, CUTE and crybabies. So what do I like? I like to read about relationships there none of them are seme or uke... just normal cool guys. That's why I think slash parings you make yourself are better than real shounen ai pairings.

Also, it's all that gay stuff. Of course Shounen Ai is gay stuff, you can't escape that, but I will tell you what I mean. Thought this is hard to explain but I try. It's not many movies, books, mangas, animes which contains gays I've seen or read that doesn't put the being-gay thing in focus. I like to read about gay people, I'm a gay male myself and the reason I like YAOI is that it is something related to me and my prefferences. But I like to read about gay people in natural circumstances. It's so annoyning that every gay is SO GAY, everything he does has to do with that he is gay. One time, I read a book with a straight couple aloud, but I gave the female character a male name and read she as he, and that was s perfect! No one questioned 'him', 'he' was natural and did normal stuff and also the relationship with 'his' boyfriend was more exciting than any Shounen Ai manga or book I ever read, just because they were so even in a way. I don't think there is anything special with being gay. That's why I would like to read stuff that don't make so big fuss over that being-gay thing.
I do believe you've summed up many of my thoughts on the genre that I couldn't put into words. Bravo.  
The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff