yes some of the above
  yes all of the above
  yes all of the above and more
  yes but none of these
  no
View Results

laaalalalalalalalalas

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:48 pm
i first discovered him because of a book called blue girl which is total;ly KICKASS if i do say so myself(and i do! whee ) but today i just finished reading another book of his called onion girl which was fantastic! but for an older age level...or not very innocent highschoolers but some of the material in there is very....uuuh....dirty sweatdrop ...nonetheless it is a very good book!next one im reading is called Widdershins cant wait whee  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:35 am
what are his books about?  

xpumkynxmonkiex

Harbone

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:34 pm
deLint writes Fantasy mostly, but he became famous for what they call "Urban Fantasy." The books I've read by him (which do not include Blue Girl or Widdershins, sorry. They're on my list, but it will be a while before I get to them) usualy depict a world, the modern world, where the land of Faerie is overlaid on top of it, invisible to mortals.

In Jack the Giant Killer, a young lady becomes the "Jack" (sort of an official magically-charged community trickster or Clever Hero) for the city of Ottowa after she saves a... well... a lawn gnome from the Wild Hunt of celtic lore)

In Greenmantle, a soldati (hit man) stumbles across a different version of the Wild Hunt pursuing a stag that's a personfication of Mystery itself. Pretty neat stuff.

deLint also wrote the book that, I think, inspired FASA games' Shadowrun,
Svaha, and about a million other things.

Here's a link:

http://www.librarything.com/author/lintcharlesde&all=books  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:42 pm
very good summary. most of his stories take place in a fictional town called newford. and his fairies(spelled faery) are of a more gothic sort but it can be really good stuff  

laaalalalalalalalalas

Harbone

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:56 pm
Really? You think his fay stuff is goth? Really?
It's more Neo- Celtic than goth, to me. But I haven't read too many of his Newport ones, I mostly read the stuff he set in Ottowa (Newport kind of IS Ottowa, from what I understand.)  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:48 pm
I read The Riddle of the Wren. So good. I've been meaning to read other Charles deLint books, but haven't gotten around to it yet. But The Riddle of the Wren is another of the books that I own that I've read so much that the spine is starting to fall apart at the bottom.  

NightIntent
Captain

laaalalalalalalalalas

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:06 pm
which tells ud your opinon.....CHARLES DELINT IS AWESOME  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:41 pm
I adore Charles DeLint! In fact, I joined this guild because I saw this thread. urban fantasy is one of my favorite things, and I think it's a bit neglected as a genre.

His Newford stories are my overall favorites.  

Rhiannen

laaalalalalalalalalas

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:34 pm
i agree. its not something you really see although the tithe and valiant books were also urban fantasy. i like both though modern and not modern fantasy as long as its a good story thats all that counts to me  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:19 pm
Have you read any of Emma Bull and Steven Brust? You might like those also.  

Rhiannen

laaalalalalalalalalas

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:39 pm
i have not even heard of either of those people sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:03 am
I don't think enough people have, but definitely worth a read.  

Rhiannen

laaalalalalalalalalas

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:36 pm
i will remeber those but right now i have alot on my list of must reads...pendragon, required reading, across the nightingale floor, mirror mirror...AAAAAAAAAH *falls to the floor having spasms....
but i do like having alot to read so its all good  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:00 pm
Rhiannen
Have you read any of Emma Bull and Steven Brust? You might like those also.

Whoops! I accidentally PM'd Miss Rhiannen about this rather than posting it.

I meant to say that Emma Bull's WAR FOR THE OAKS is a book people keep telling me to read and I will, One of These Days.

I'm a little afraid of Brust, however.

And it's Newford, not Newport, in case I made that error elsewhere (I read the Newford short stories when I was in Portland, OR, you see. I often get them mixed up.)

Does this make any sense?  

Harbone

Rhiannen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:38 pm
Try Brokedown Palace for a start with Brust.

Across the Nightengale Floor will only send you hurtling into the rest of the trilogy. It's like the Bitterbynde saga. You can put it down until you know the end....  
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff