Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Wishing Spells....Do they really work? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Midnight Divine

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:49 pm
I mean, sure, wishing spells could work. I have never really tried them, but how far do they go? Could you actually cast a wishing spell to be Telepathic or Telekinetic, and BOOM, You are! Or is it more along the lines of Getting an A on a Math Test, or wishing for something simpiler? If you can really wish for virtually anything and It would be true, please post it here, I would love to try it out.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:28 am
Heh. I don't believe I've ever heard of a "wishing spell". Normally, if I need something that seems a little bit hard to get, I'll cast a spell for luck... Which in my case is basically lighting a candle and burning some incense and then making an offering to Ma'at and asking Her for Her good fortune. *shrugs* It helped my fiance get a job, so I definately think it worked. smile And that was after he spent months trying to find one, only to get called out of the blue by someone he had already been turned down by.

The Self Created One works in mysterious ways.  

SlaineWildfire

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Signature Look 250

Midnight Ana

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 2:38 pm
Hm. I don't know, I guess it might depend on how big the wish is. Like in Slaine's case she asked Ma'at for good fortune. But you might have noticed that some spells don't have the little extra oophf the Gods sometimes give.

As for if wishing spells can grant you Telekinese(sp?)? I've seen spells that can suposedly do that, but thats a whole different subject...  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:36 pm
Midnightelf
Hm. I don't know, I guess it might depend on how big the wish is. Like in Slaine's case she asked Ma'at for good fortune. But you might have noticed that some spells don't have the little extra oophf the Gods sometimes give.

As for if wishing spells can grant you Telekinese(sp?)? I've seen spells that can suposedly do that, but thats a whole different subject...
I did use Telekinesis as an example because Im really interested in it. Do you know the spell for that? >.> I hope I just didn't sound like a Fluffy...  

Midnight Divine

midara the happy banshee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:52 pm
Well, as far as telekinesis goes, a spell might help, but telekinesis something that would take years of meditation and hard work to acheive, if it's even possible at all. But a spell for raising your energy and concentration might be helpful.  
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 6:57 am
The first thing to ask yourself about any spell is, "What tradition is this from." The second is "What are the drawbacks to this spell?" The third is, "Can I accomplish things without using a spell?"

Spells should be a last resort. I would be very suspicious of any spell called a "wishing" spell.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

Keistera

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 2:05 pm
Deoridhe
The first thing to ask yourself about any spell is, "What tradition is this from." The second is "What are the drawbacks to this spell?" The third is, "Can I accomplish things without using a spell?"

Spells should be a last resort. I would be very suspicious of any spell called a "wishing" spell.

This is probably going to seem spammy, but please... please... please take the above advice seriously! Too many people seem to resort immediately to "spells" to get what they want -- such selfishness in the youth of today!  
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 10:10 pm
Keistera
Too many people seem to resort immediately to "spells" to get what they want -- such selfishness in the youth of today!

I dunno, I wouldn't say that m'self. People have been going to witchy-types for minor problems and things that they could conceivably do by themselves for centuries. Cure my wart, make so-and-so love me, get me that job, get me that new dress, do this, do that, show me this, show me that, make me richer, etc. It's hardly a new occurence, IMO.

'Sides, I see nothing wrong with using magic for minor things, as long as you don't just sit on your a** and wait for it to happen - then you're just wasting potential by not helping make it easier on the poor magic to get you what you want. You probably wouldn't wanna petition any deities for the minor stuff, either, and stick to your own energy, but hey, if your deities go for that sort of thing...  

Sivirs

MST3Kakalina

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 6:48 pm
i don't think just saying, "hey gods, i'd love to be telekinetic. kthnxbai" is going to really...work. and that seems to be what wishing spells pretty much are.

hmm. i have a thread idea.  
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 3:17 pm
Sivirs

I dunno, I wouldn't say that m'self. People have been going to witchy-types for minor problems and things that they could conceivably do by themselves for centuries. Cure my wart, make so-and-so love me, get me that job, get me that new dress, do this, do that, show me this, show me that, make me richer, etc. It's hardly a new occurence, IMO.

'Sides, I see nothing wrong with using magic for minor things, as long as you don't just sit on your a** and wait for it to happen - then you're just wasting potential by not helping make it easier on the poor magic to get you what you want. You probably wouldn't wanna petition any deities for the minor stuff, either, and stick to your own energy, but hey, if your deities go for that sort of thing...

Oh, that's true, but it's more prevalent now for silly reasons because of those "insta-witch" kits, or "101 spells for teen witches" things. A lot of people expect things to come quickly with little effort (it seems to be a societal attitude or something). Once something becomes mainstream and the media gets hold of it -- look out.

I certainly wouldn't petition my deities for little things that I can get on my own. That just seems disrespectful. neutral  

Keistera

Willowhawk

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 8:59 am
I personally don't believe in wishing spells. To me magic is the ability to take a situation and with guidance make it happen. As said above, sitting on your bum isn't going to make things happen. They just aren't. In today's society people don't want to take responsibility and again said above, "insta" things seem to be all the rage these days. People want things to be easy, they don't want to get hurt, feel pain, fail or become lesser in someone elses eyes. This isn't entirely due to media although some of it can be contributed to that. It's largely human nature to feel these things, but because of today's society with so much buying, selling, and speedy people it's what people want even more.They want advancement. Quick and easy, simple, no responsiblity, let someone else deal with it attidude is global, even in the older generations.
Wishing spells, I would highly reccommend not doing one. Personally it's a waste of time, sitting there wishing isn't going to help anything, unless you get up and do it. smile
(hope I didn't offend anyone and sorry for a long rant).  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:19 pm
Wishing spells are different from what people are thinking they are...
It's basically the same as a prayer... And it should be added to your own efforts, it works more with you than for you.
It's just a little padding to work with, that's all.  

Light Chakra

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:19 pm
Deoridhe

I disagree that spells should be a last resort.

Why would you limit yourself? If you are talented as a singer, and you wish to win a contest- why not practice, support your natural singing ability, place yourself in good health so you do not fall ill (by eating right, getting rest etc) and address the spiritual side of your talent?

As a side note- there are a number of Wishing Traditions. My favorites are going over water and wishing on shooting stars.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:56 am
Midnight Divine
wishing spells

I uphold some of my favorite wishing traditions: wishing on a star, dandelion fluff and wishing wells. The difference for me between a wish and a spell is that when you make a wish it's something akin to sitting back and waiting for it to happen, ie it's out of your hands. That means you could get it years and years from now, in a different way than expected and some entity out there could misinterpret your wording. When you're doing something yourself you have a lot more control over the situation. Not to say it can't go wrong, but you could also fix it if it does.

Incidentally, I'd be interested to find out where certain traditions came from. I mean, the coin in the well is a pretty obvious petition to a nature spirit, as is probably the dandelion fluff. But where did birthday wishes and wishes on a star come from? *curiousity*  

Pelta

Gideon Starorzewski

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:56 pm
Deoridhe

Spells should be a last resort.

Bah. Magic is a compliment to normal action. Call it hedging your bets, wearing a belt and suspenders, or maximzing all available assets but don't call it a last resort.

I remember reading an essay about ethics in magic a while back where the author referenced an old joke in which a man prayed to God to win the lottery but got upset when it didn't happen. When he asked God why, the responce was "Meet me half way and buy a lottery ticket."  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff