Submit

Should they?
  yeah
  nah
View Results

Loki Iago

Anxious Scamp

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:51 am
Technically, you are taking a life but it is your own. You are doing it with your own consent and of your free will. If a person is stopped from killing themself, should they be charged with murder?  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:51 pm
Wouldn't it be intent to kill?

I don't know but murder usually leads to jail, whereas suicide should lead to a mental health clinic.  

Ndoki

Choboxer

5,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:05 pm
I feel this needs to be defined

murder:

Noun

1. The unlawful killing of one human by another, especially with premeditated malice. 2. Slang Something that is very uncomfortable, difficult, or hazardous: The rush hour traffic is murder. 3. A flock of crows. See Synonyms at flock1.
Verb
Inflected forms: mur·dered, mur·der·ing, mur·ders
Verb
tr. 1. To kill (another human) unlawfully. 2. To kill brutally or inhumanly. 3. To put an end to; destroy: murdered their chances. 4. To spoil by ineptness; mutilate: a speech that murdered the English language. 5. Slang To defeat decisively; trounce.

suicide:

Noun
1. The act or an instance of intentionally killing oneself. 2. The destruction or ruin of one's own interests: It is professional suicide to involve oneself in illegal practices. 3. One who commits suicide.

Thought they are remarkbly similar, the defintion cleary shows that the diffrence is Killing of ANOTHER vs, killing of YOURSELF.

If a person fails an attempt of succide, they should not be charged with murder.

Unforchantly, stupidity is not a crime either.
stare  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:34 pm
Definately not, there are many causes that lead a person to want to take their own life, including depression, medical condictions, low self esteem, abuse, rape, and many other countless reasons, i disagree that if a person fails to actually kill themselves that they should be face murder charges....they didn't kill anyone, and suicide is not considered a crime..........it's adding insult to injury. Aiding in suicide is a crime.......comitting it or attempting it ..is not...a person who attempts suicide should get help not charged  

Fallentowards

2aetH

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:21 pm
I wish they *could* be charged with stupidity. I agree with Nyed.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:28 pm
Raethyn Sarachael

So suicide is stupid? What about martyrdom? Was the Christian Jesus stupid?  

zz1000zz
Crew

Obscure Parch

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:30 pm
Nyed

murder:

Noun

1. The unlawful killing of one human by another, especially with premeditated malice. 2. Slang Something that is very uncomfortable, difficult, or hazardous: The rush hour traffic is murder. 3. A flock of crows. See Synonyms at flock1.
Verb
Verb
tr. 1. To kill (another human) unlawfully. 2. To kill brutally or inhumanly. 3. To put an end to; destroy: murdered their chances. 4. To spoil by ineptness; mutilate: a speech that murdered the English language. 5. Slang To defeat decisively; trounce.

suicide:

Noun
1. The act or an instance of intentionally killing oneself. 2. The destruction or ruin of one's own interests: It is professional suicide to involve oneself in illegal practices. 3. One who commits suicide.

Thought they are remarkbly similar, the defintion cleary shows that the diffrence is Killing of ANOTHER vs, killing of YOURSELF.

If a person fails an attempt of succide, they should not be charged with murder.

stare
putting criminal charges on attempted suicide is a bad thing to do think about it if you seriously wanted to die and you knew there were criminal charges for failure woundnt that motivate you to make sure that you died? and that means many of my friends, aquintances, and people i meet and see on the street woulnt be there because of =such a stupid law now think about that for a minute
MORE deaths because of a law as they are created to prevent unnatural deaths  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:59 am
Big Bert And The Morbids
Nyed

murder:

Noun

Verb
Verb

suicide:

Noun

stare
putting criminal charges on attempted suicide is a bad thing to do think about it if you seriously wanted to die and you knew there were criminal charges for failure woundnt that motivate you to make sure that you died? and that means many of my friends, aquintances, and people i meet and see on the street woulnt be there because of =such a stupid law now think about that for a minute
MORE deaths because of a law as they are created to prevent unnatural deaths

Historically, laws against suicide were not to punish those who fail, but those who succeed. In the past the church said anybody who killed him or herself would go to hell, so they decided on a legal penalty that would deter suicide. Any person who died through suicide would have his/her belongings confiscated. Any money, property or land would be taken, so that his/her heirs would get nothing.  

zz1000zz
Crew

Kupo Ikari

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:20 pm
I don't think suicide is a crime.

Really.

Unless you are leaving behind a family that needs you. If you do that, that is unbelievable selfish.

Also, I think punishing someone for attempted suicide is stupid.

People who've attempted should be counseled.

(Most likely they failed because they don't really want to commit suicide, they just wanted the attention.)

Also, a side note to zz1000zz:

Jesus didn't comit suicide... He was killed by the romans... And how do you connect Martyrdom and Suicide?

martyrdom: n 1: death that is imposed because of the person's adherence of a religious faith or cause 2: any experience that causes intense suffering

suicide n. 1. The act or an instance of intentionally killing oneself.

They look awfully different to me.

Jesus didn't commit suicde. He was murdered.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:28 am
KupoWrath
Also, a side note to zz1000zz:

Jesus didn't comit suicide... He was killed by the romans... And how do you connect Martyrdom and Suicide?

martyrdom: n 1: death that is imposed because of the person's adherence of a religious faith or cause 2: any experience that causes intense suffering

suicide n. 1. The act or an instance of intentionally killing oneself.

They look awfully different to me.

Jesus didn't commit suicde. He was murdered.

He choose a course of action with the knowledge it would kill him. He willingly went to his death. That is remarkably like suicide, only more in a long term sense.

For martyrdom, most martyrs could have remained alive by choosing a different course of actions. Quite often, the different course would be "renouncing" beliefs. A person who is told, "Say you worship Allah or you will die" has a choice. They choose to live or die. If they choose to die, it is a form of suicide.

Calling a person stupid for choosing to end their life is just being a jerk. There are many legitimate reasons to end your life. Suicide can be just as acceptable as martyrdom.  

zz1000zz
Crew

Kupo Ikari

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:25 pm
zz1000zz

He choose a course of action with the knowledge it would kill him. He willingly went to his death. That is remarkably like suicide, only more in a long term sense.

For martyrdom, most martyrs could have remained alive by choosing a different course of actions. Quite often, the different course would be "renouncing" beliefs. A person who is told, "Say you worship Allah or you will die" has a choice. They choose to live or die. If they choose to die, it is a form of suicide.

Calling a person stupid for choosing to end their life is just being a jerk. There are many legitimate reasons to end your life. Suicide can be just as acceptable as martyrdom.

He may have known he was going to die, and went into it, but that doesn't stop the fact that he was indeed murdered. He did not hang himself up there. He didn't stab himself in the side.

It could be called 'Suicide' in the metephorical sense. "You're going to what? That's suicide!" But he did not technically commit suicide.

I do believe that calling a person stupid because they committed suicide is wrong.

The only situation I can imgaine where calling them stupid is needed is if they left behind people that were depending on them. Then again, I don't know if I'd call them stupid. Maybe a ********... but probably not stupid.

I've met stupid in my life, so I don't usually jump the gun and start calling things stupid.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:30 am
KupoWrath
zz1000zz

He may have known he was going to die, and went into it, but that doesn't stop the fact that he was indeed murdered. He did not hang himself up there. He didn't stab himself in the side.

It could be called 'Suicide' in the metephorical sense. "You're going to what? That's suicide!" But he did not technically commit suicide.

I do believe that calling a person stupid because they committed suicide is wrong.

The only situation I can imgaine where calling them stupid is needed is if they left behind people that were depending on them. Then again, I don't know if I'd call them stupid. Maybe a ********... but probably not stupid.

I've met stupid in my life, so I don't usually jump the gun and start calling things stupid.

No disagreements here. I was just showing people who say suicide is stupid are wrong.  

zz1000zz
Crew

Choboxer

5,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:05 am
zz1000zz
Raethyn Sarachael

lol Im not even gonna touch it

I cant be wrong in the sense that its stupied becuse this is an belives question. Theres no such thing as right and wrong. No black and white clear cut yes no.

I offer instead, a list

Marie killed herself and left behind her daugher Melanie to the foster care system. Melanie grew up abused sexually, physically and emotionally. Melanie tried to kill herself a few times becuse of this. If Marie had stuck it out, her daugher wouldnt be in such pain.

^Mel is doing okay now by the way

Faith tried to kill herself 4 times. if she had succeeded, I wouldnt be here. She saved my life, twice.

^Faith now has a awsome little famly and is doing quite well

I've tried to Kill myself. Until I relized that it was faulty. I belive in rencaration. So whats the use eh?

^ sucks it up, and deals life with one foot in front of the other.

and yes I do relize I can apply being stupied to myself. Which I will do gladdly.

Applying a Murder charge would just further ruin an already desprate life.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:09 pm
Nyed
zz1000zz
Raethyn Sarachael

lol Im not even gonna touch it

I cant be wrong in the sense that its stupied becuse this is an belives question. Theres no such thing as right and wrong. No black and white clear cut yes no.

See, people should say this from the beginning. It is insane for people to insult something, then turn around and say they should not insult it.

Quote:
I offer instead, a list

I could offer my own list, but there is really no point. I think everyone will accept there are times when a person may be better off dead.  

zz1000zz
Crew

Extended Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas