2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
other
22%
 22%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 83

Azul Acier Moon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:00 pm
Why is it that when people say "asian" they usually automatically think "chinese, japanese, korean, etc."? I'm a filipino and according to textbooks, im placed in the category of "asian". Take this conversation for example:

girl: Hi!
me: hi.
girl: wats ur race?
me: scuse me?
girl: ur race, wats ur race?
me: im asian...
girl: ohh so ur ike chinese or something right?
me:.....nooo
girl: but i thought u sed u wer asian?
me: yes i am asian
girl: so like i sed ur like chinese right?
me: NOO, im filipino.
girl: .....wat?
me: im from the philippines.
girl: is that like in china?
me: *getting annoyed* noo its an island off the coast of asia.
girl: ohhh. so ur not asian?
me: i just sed i was!
girl: but u dont live in asia!
me: ....i have 2 go.
girl: ok, byee!

I have had this conversation many times, and according to some filipinos, malaysians, etc., this happens to them too. Lately, i have been seeing groups of filipinos, malaysians, etc. calling them selves "pacific islanders" to not neccessarily separate themselves from the stereotype asian=chinese, japanese, korean. I have decided to join this group.

Now, before you start flaming the hell out of me, i just want to say, "This isn't a rascism thread. I'm not trying to offend anyone, and if i did, im sorry. This was just something on my mind and i decided to post it."

Discussion Topics:
Does this stereotyp-ism cause ppl to divert themselves?
Why care about whether you're asian or pacific islander?
Why do people automatically think of "asian" as chinese, etc.?  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:55 am
people just cant tell your background. dont trip over that. still cool  

Hitman1

Tina Tomorrow

Tina Tomorrow

IRL Conventioneer

17,450 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:56 am
When stereotyp-ism gets to push very very freakin' hard on a person it may divert that person.

People like things easy so they place each person in a group, or sub-group of people.

China, is well known due to its immense size, trade relation, and immigrants flocking here for work/citizenship. Same with Korea, and Japan with well known wars, and pretty much the majority has the same color skin of yellow with various common facial features.. You see less brown-ish skinned asians there however.

From learning from history err... Rex Navarette's enterpretation.., Filipino's were the first asian people here in america. In 1587, 8 filipino's on Spanish gallions(sp?) landed on the shores known as Moral Bay in Southern Cailifornia. However we can't decipher who this filipino's were becuase they the spanish names you know like that long.

I always hated the term "Pacific Islander" sounds way too english.
Indeed those people are on islands, but they are not really that near the Pacific. Filipino's have the Philippine Sea, and South China Sea to be inbetweeen from. I dun' want to go any futher geographically...
Was it the Australians, Americans, or Europenas who come up with that term?I wonder who started the term "asian" also... Darn grouping it causes serious confusion.

If there's any missing information, and whatever that's needed... well go on ahead, and talk the talk.
My brain's fried from the heat anyways. xp  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:14 am
this just goes to show you that alot people have no brain and cant listen a single word  

lyoko_slayer

lollerskater123321

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:20 pm
its so weird everyone can tell i'm chinese but everyone always thinks my mom's korean even some random chinese lady  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:40 pm
lol i know it gets fustrating, hahaha that girls funny.. not very bright from the sounds of it but who knows lol 3nodding but yeah i dunno most people do assume asians as chinese, korean, japanese..not sure why though...i mean.. we speak different languages.. cant they even tell that apparent.. ^-^' but apparently not.. but i dont blame them i get confused sometimes too sweatdrop  

seilin666

Quaffed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:44 pm
People probably don't think Filippino people as "Asian" because the Philippines aren't exactly near the main continent. ...or something like that. I don't know. People are stupid. There are people that I meet that don't believe me when I say I'm half Asian, let alone my being Filippino, too.

btw, Filippinos are taking over Dunkin Donuts. ^^ ...at least, they are in New Jersey. biggrin

And don't worry about the difference between Pacific Islander and Asian. Both are pretty much the same thing, if you really contemplate on it. Besides, that girl you talked to was probably an air-head, so you don't need to get worked up over it. If she insulted you, then you, by all means, have the right to be upset.

*dances for the heck of it*

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:07 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. ninja User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

One more night , I wanna be with you
Where I wanna hold you tight...

In the thread tittle, you said you aren't Asian. =/

Anyways, there's nothing much about people not guessing exactly what your ethnicities are. I do understand your frustration though.

Look, I'll ask people my 5 ethnicities and they'll never guess them correctly.

It feels so right
To
night…

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Rebirth Project

[Queen of Spades]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:56 pm
The girl you were talking to is retarded. She must be white, most of them are dumb, really. Now these days at least. People think I'm korean stare . I'm chinese though.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:36 pm
I just let people perceive what I am. I'm whatever you want me to be...

EnviousTragedy

Azul Acier Moon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:39 pm
Kira Nishikawa
When stereotyp-ism gets to push very very freakin' hard on a person it may divert that person.

People like things easy so they place each person in a group, or sub-group of people.

China, is well known due to its immense size, trade relation, and immigrants flocking here for work/citizenship. Same with Korea, and Japan with well known wars, and pretty much the majority has the same color skin of yellow with various common facial features.. You see less brown-ish skinned asians there however.

From learning from history err... Rex Navarette's enterpretation.., Filipino's were the first asian people here in america. In 1587, 8 filipino's on Spanish gallions(sp?) landed on the shores known as Moral Bay in Southern Cailifornia. However we can't decipher who this filipino's were becuase they the spanish names you know like that long.

I always hated the term "Pacific Islander" sounds way too english.
Indeed those people are on islands, but they are not really that near the Pacific. Filipino's have the Philippine Sea, and South China Sea to be inbetweeen from. I dun' want to go any futher geographically...
Was it the Australians, Americans, or Europenas who come up with that term?I wonder who started the term "asian" also... Darn grouping it causes serious confusion.

If there's any missing information, and whatever that's needed... well go on ahead, and talk the talk.
My brain's fried from the heat anyways. xp

hmm interesting...i do believe thas wat causes stereotyp-ism  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:41 pm
Dark_Angel23642
its so weird everyone can tell i'm chinese but everyone always thinks my mom's korean even some random chinese lady

ppl think of me as filipino or hispanic most of the tyms, but i do get the "chinese" *no rascism here* stereotype. same with my mom, but for my dad and brother, they r thot of as chinese because they have lighter skin.  

Azul Acier Moon

Azul Acier Moon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:42 pm
seilin666
lol i know it gets fustrating, hahaha that girls funny.. not very bright from the sounds of it but who knows lol 3nodding but yeah i dunno most people do assume asians as chinese, korean, japanese..not sure why though...i mean.. we speak different languages.. cant they even tell that apparent.. ^-^' but apparently not.. but i dont blame them i get confused sometimes too sweatdrop

haha yeaa...i dont entirely blame them, this was jus something on my mind and i wanted 2 hear out others opinions  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:45 pm
Ando_Yui
People probably don't think Filippino people as "Asian" because the Philippines aren't exactly near the main continent. ...or something like that. I don't know. People are stupid. There are people that I meet that don't believe me when I say I'm half Asian, let alone my being Filippino, too.

btw, Filippinos are taking over Dunkin Donuts. ^^ ...at least, they are in New Jersey. biggrin

And don't worry about the difference between Pacific Islander and Asian. Both are pretty much the same thing, if you really contemplate on it. Besides, that girl you talked to was probably an air-head, so you don't need to get worked up over it. If she insulted you, then you, by all means, have the right to be upset.

*dances for the heck of it*

yay!! dunkin donuts DOMiNATiON!! haha...actually, this air head did insult me, in a derrogatory form of way which happened after the conversation, but was still about my "race"  

Azul Acier Moon

kanin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:08 am

I asked my mom if if I was half Pacific Islander and she told me no and then started explaining to me what territories are part of the Pacific Islands o_o

As for the people automatically thinking of Asian as Chinese, Maybe it's because they're more well-known or of their large part in our population? I'm not really sure...

Asian Pride -- Asian Hangout for Asian People

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff