Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Non-eclectic ceremonialism? Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Aesi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:14 pm
Pardon me if I ramble or stumble on my words, I'm having a bit of trouble organizing my questions on this.

I can't look any direction into ceremonialism without Golden Dawn being slammed up against me. I can't even find a good tarot deck for meditation and High Magic study unless its design incorporates elements from the Golden Dawn. I'm looking for Judaic magic and only finding it mixed with Greek, Roman, and Egyptian.

Realizing that the Hebrews had to adapt many times in the ancient world, I understand why unique terms or ideas from other cultures will sometimes be desirable. But why should I be finding Egyptian concepts of the scarab or Greek morals?

I am Judeo-Christian by an oath made in my lifetime, not by birth. (By birth, I'm thoroughly Irish.) I don't know if my claim on the path is just. Whether it is or not, I doubt YHWH would be be impressed by my devotion if I'm using symbols of other gods in his rituals.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:28 pm
Aesi
Pardon me if I ramble or stumble on my words, I'm having a bit of trouble organizing my questions on this.

I can't look any direction into ceremonialism without Golden Dawn being slammed up against me. I can't even find a good tarot deck for meditation and High Magic study unless its design incorporates elements from the Golden Dawn. I'm looking for Judaic magic and only finding it mixed with Greek, Roman, and Egyptian.

Is free within your price range?
Sepher Yezirah
The Zohar
Jewish Mysticism by Abelson
Sacred Books and Early lit of the East vol. 4

The list goes on. Let me know if you want some quality hard text sources. I can bug David about it.
Quote:

Realizing that the Hebrews had to adapt many times in the ancient world, I understand why unique terms or ideas from other cultures will sometimes be desirable. But why should I be finding Egyptian concepts of the scarab or Greek morals?
Because as a mid-point between Southern Eruipe and Northern Africa upon the Mediterranean, they were at a cultural crossroads.  

TeaDidikai

Aesi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:44 pm
TeaDidikai

Is free within your price range?
Sepher Yezirah
The Zohar
Jewish Mysticism by Abelson
Sacred Books and Early lit of the East vol. 4

The list goes on. Let me know if you want some quality hard text sources. I can bug David about it.

-nodnodnod- Most enthusiastically, I do.

TeaDidikai

Because as a mid-point between Southern Eruipe and Northern Africa upon the Mediterranean, they were at a cultural crossroads.

sweatdrop What I'm thinking of is a very straight cultural history. I would approach an Orthodox group if I knew of one that would accept a bisexual woman.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:45 pm
Aesi
sweatdrop What I'm thinking of is a very straight cultural history. I would approach an Orthodox group if I knew of one that would accept a bisexual woman.
~blinks~ Wait- are you Jewish?  

TeaDidikai

Aesi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:08 pm
-points to OP- Irish. Am I saying things incorrectly? sweatdrop

I'm not Jewish, but I'm devoted to YHWH and I want a deeper familiarity with ancient Jewish culture to better understand God, gematria and Qabalic ritual. Though I desire a disciplined path, I want to understand why it became so. Better explanation?  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:07 pm
Just a question: Is there an opinion on the full text translation of the Zohar at Zohar.com? Not knowing a single word of Hebrew (well, not if it's written in Hebrew) makes me rather unable to rate the text objectively myself. Do you happen to know if it's considered a reliable translation?  

Henry Dorsett Case

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:54 pm
Aesi
-points to OP- Irish. Am I saying things incorrectly? sweatdrop

I'm not Jewish, but I'm devoted to YHWH and I want a deeper familiarity with ancient Jewish culture to better understand God, gematria and Qabalic ritual. Though I desire a disciplined path, I want to understand why it became so. Better explanation?

Right....
I'm Irish too, as everyone knows.
I live here, I work here, I was born and bred here.

If you're Irish, not-Jewish, female and bisexual
They're gonna be disgusted that you want to know their secrets.
Firstly, Orthodox Jews don't believe Gentiles are capable of joining their religion.
Secondly, if you're not Jewish they won't acknowledge your existance let alone teach you.
Thirdly, even if you were Orthodox Jewish, as a woman they wouldn't teach you as you are female.
Fourthly, as a bisexual they would't teach you because it is in clear violation of Canonic Law.

You have abosutely no chance of learning from any such order. You have absolutely no right to the path.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:29 pm
reagun ban

Right....
I'm Irish too, as everyone knows.
I live here, I work here, I was born and bred here.

If you're Irish, not-Jewish, female and bisexual
They're gonna be disgusted that you want to know their secrets.
Firstly, Orthodox Jews don't believe Gentiles are capable of joining their religion.
Secondly, if you're not Jewish they won't acknowledge your existance let alone teach you.
Thirdly, even if you were Orthodox Jewish, as a woman they wouldn't teach you as you are female.
Fourthly, as a bisexual they would't teach you because it is in clear violation of Canonic Law.

You have abosutely no chance of learning from any such order. You have absolutely no right to the path.

YHWH doesn't appear to have a problem with my desiring a closer connection to Him. He seemed pleased when I made an oath of five years' celibacy, to be sure of where my heart was directing me, after I started noticing my attraction to women. Possibly, the being I think of as YHWH isn't Him at all. If he isn't, I don't mind his lying at this point. He has demanded nothing from me but to love him, love others and continue pursuing my goals, and he seems to have a basically happy, intelligent nature.

As for the Orthodox, you don't say. Hence the disclaimer I made earlier.  

Aesi

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:28 am
Aesi

Where abouts in Ireland do you live and are you on the fáinne mailing list?  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:01 am
~winces~ This is about to get messy.

Like so many other cultures- having XYZ heritage does not mean you are of that heritage.  

TeaDidikai

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:12 am
TeaDidikai

I'm being have Tea.
I haven't ascended my soap box yet.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:33 pm
reagun ban
TeaDidikai

I'm being have Tea.
I haven't ascended my soap box yet.
I didn't say it was Messy- I said it was about to get messy. There's still time.  

TeaDidikai

Doctrix

Blessed Friend

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:44 am
Aesi
YHWH doesn't appear to have a problem with my desiring a closer connection to Him. He seemed pleased when I made an oath of five years' celibacy, to be sure of where my heart was directing me, after I started noticing my attraction to women. Possibly, the being I think of as YHWH isn't Him at all. If he isn't, I don't mind his lying at this point. He has demanded nothing from me but to love him, love others and continue pursuing my goals, and he seems to have a basically happy, intelligent nature.

Get thee to a Temple o' Reform Jews! I'm sure you already know that they are very accepting, and you might get closer to what you're after! I made a lot of friends at a local temple, and even sang in their choir for a while. They offered workshops on Qabalic magic available to older members.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:06 pm
[Kudzu]
They offered workshops on Qabalic magic available to older members.
Which real Kabalists will tell you is profane.  

TeaDidikai

Aesi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:59 pm
[Kudzu]

Get thee to a Temple o' Reform Jews! I'm sure you already know that they are very accepting, and you might get closer to what you're after! I made a lot of friends at a local temple, and even sang in their choir for a while. They offered workshops on Qabalic magic available to older members.

-faints- Workshops? Qabalic practice is a part of daily life and should be accompanied by thorough studies. It's an enormous undertaking. Granted, I don't think its students should get so arrogant as to ignore those who haven't been interested in it as long or haven't put as much effort into it. It just shouldn't be taken so lightly as to make such a little thing out of it and say that's good. Qabalism is a thing that requires a great deal of willingness to change yourself, and only a handful of people in history have become more than students of it. Workshops are a poor way to confer its power.

It isn't my intention to belittle your experience, but the LDS with their high-school Seminaries have a similar approach to teaching their ideas on symbolism and mysteries. Leaving a rowdy, secular school for one hour doesn't do much to foster the appropriate mindset. It's one reason I left that church.

It's a method that separates the religious soul from the mundane one, then never reconciles them. In the worst cases, the mundane soul just plain replaces the religious.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff