Reply Fantasy Books Guild
His dark materials Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Arkyana

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:19 pm
Hey! I wanted to know, did someome here read his dark materials by phillip pullman? I think the series is awesome!  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:02 pm
I both own and have read all of them. The Subtle Knife is my favorite. Truthfully, Lyra gets on my nerves. Will is much better. ...I'm getting the names right, aren't I? I haven't touched the books since middle school. They didn't make as much an impression on me as some other books, so they aren't even on my shelf. I really liked the woman in The Amber Spyglass, but can't for the life of me remember her name. n.n" The weird-shaped animals in that book were really fun. I liked them.  

NightIntent
Captain

Shiama

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:29 pm
i read te Subtle Kinfe I believe and it was ok. I mean I have read better but it had a interesting story. I also read one about a polar Bear in it...I know it was part of the series but I cant remember the name.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:11 pm
I think all three of them have at least a amention of the bear, whatever his name is. In The Subtle Knife, Will cuts up his helm. In The Golden Compass, Lyra rescues him from some city by telling him where his armor is. And, while I can't remember the exact reference, I'm sure he's in The Amber Spyglass somewhere. Maybe I should dust off my books and read them again sometime.  

NightIntent
Captain

Pumkyn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:41 pm
NightIntent
I think all three of them have at least a amention of the bear, whatever his name is.

OMG!!!! scream HIS NAME IS IKOR!!!!  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:46 pm
AUGH!!!! HOW CAN YOU PEOPLE NOT LOVE HIS DARK MATERIALS!?!?!?!?!?!?! THEY ARE SO, INCREDIBLY GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!  

Pumkyn

MathGirl2012

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:13 pm
They are wonderful! But i must say what's with making Will and Lyra fall in love!? I mean they are like 12 or somthing like that! The books could of done with out that.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:24 pm
Sorry, never heard of it.  

lavenvi05

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:14 pm
Pumkyn
NightIntent
I think all three of them have at least a amention of the bear, whatever his name is.

So that's why I don't remember it; it's a stupid name. Please think before yelling. I haven't read the books since sixth grade, at least, and I'm going into twelfth in September. I'm not going to remember the names.

While they were good books, I wouldn't exactly call them incredible. Please don't try to tell people they should like books, leave people to their opinions and quit it with the all-caps posts. Thank you.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:02 pm
I have them/read them several times. I liked them a lot. It's been a long time though. I liked Lyra's deamon, I 've forgotten his name...  

Hiitachin Kaoru

Pumkyn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:59 pm
NightIntent
Pumkyn
NightIntent

So that's why I don't remember it; it's a stupid name. Please think before yelling. I haven't read the books since sixth grade, at least, and I'm going into twelfth in September. I'm not going to remember the names.

While they were good books, I wouldn't exactly call them incredible. Please don't try to tell people they should like books, leave people to their opinions and quit it with the all-caps posts. Thank you.

sry...i just was so shocked sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:45 pm
It's okay Pumpkyn. I just love!!!!!!!!! the series too. They're like almost my favorite series. I think the plot is just so cool and it relates to people in a way. It's not too fantasy but it's about two teens learning about life.  

Arkyana

Pumkyn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:10 am
thanx. im glad someone else doesnt think the books are stupid  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:33 pm
i have read them loved them and the deamons name is Pantalaimon. i forgot it too(thank you fanfiction), i read a very long article on him in the new yorker*gets the linky....here it is
http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/articles/051226fa_fact
i particularly enjoyed the description of the series as
"for those who find harry potter intelectually thin" (no offense to HP lovers i just found that funny) any way check it out it was very informative. (and made me feel smart for reading it 3nodding )  

laaalalalalalalalalas

Merlinssister

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:59 am
I also love the books. The Subtle Knife is my favourite because it seems to have the best balance story wise. My favourite characters are the witches and Will.
I don't understand why the books are in the 8 to 11 age group of most book shops. At that age you can follow the story but unless you're a very smart 8 year old you wouldn't get all of the religious references which make the book more interesting. It'd be interesting to find out what age people were when they read the books and whether that had an impact on how much they understood them.

Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff