Welcome to Gaia! ::

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Back to Guilds

Join vegetarians and supporters for discussion on health, cooking, and ethical issues! 

Tags: Food, Vegan, Vegetarian, Animal, Cooking 

Reply Recipes & Cooking Tips
alternatives for different foods Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

XxbloodyromancexX

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:26 pm
i know bananas and applesauce can replace eggs, of course the ener g egg replacements too, and soy milk is just as good as regular milk for cooking, but i'm having trouble finding a replacement for butter.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:42 am
XxbloodyromancexX
i know bananas and applesauce can replace eggs, of course the ener g egg replacements too, and soy milk is just as good as regular milk for cooking, but i'm having trouble finding a replacement for butter.

Hmm thats a toughie....I really don't know. Maybe at like a heathfood store near you they might sell imitation butter or something like that.  

Lexiegirl

VeggieCaptain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:42 am
Um... margarine? xP

They mage vegan margarine. I can't remember what the company is, but I know it's out there; I had to hunt it down once for a vegan recipe.

Yeah, margarine is just plastic and no other living thing would even dream of eating it and it never goes bad because it's so fake, but it's a substitute. You can't expect it to be amazing. whee  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:38 am
i knew about margarine of course, it's just so gross, like you said xp almost no point in using it if you wanna be healthy about it. i've heard of the vegan margarine, but it feels like a myth. i could try and find it online i suppose.  

XxbloodyromancexX

Henbane
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:33 am
I don't use butter for anything. All I really use is olive oil, walnut oil, and grapeseed oil. I don't use any trans fats (margarine). I don't really know a good alternative to butter, maybe spectrum spread, and I don't use that.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:55 pm
Earth Balance and Willow Run both make vegan margarines and atleast one is organic  

Soymilk_Gun

XxbloodyromancexX

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:02 pm
too bad most organic stuff runs really expensive. most stores around me only carry one brand of organic foods.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:15 pm
If they want people to start buying organic foods, they have to decrease the price and make normal foods more expensive. That way, we'll all be chemical-free! heart  

The French Kitty

Henbane
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:29 am
Ecliptic Storm
If they want people to start buying organic foods, they have to decrease the price and make normal foods more expensive. That way, we'll all be chemical-free! heart

Things are starting to get a little better. Well, around my area at least. More people are purchasing organic, natural, and veg*n foods. They are starting to treat them like normal foods with sales. And more health food shops are spawning all over our area. But it is still cheaper to eat junk everyday. It is pretty bad when you can probably eat at Mc.Ds everyday for every meal and it is cheaper than buying oganic food.

On another note, a Whole Foods Market is being built in out area now. I have been told that the store is pretty awesome so I can't wait.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:45 pm
mer, I have a 20 calories fake margarine thing that has nothing but weird chemicals in it that I occasionally use, but it tastes funny even by my low standards towards low calorie foods.

And Whole Foods is indeed awesome. Though uber long lines less so.

Cassandra022

x_wild_fire_x

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:56 am
There's vegan butter. Alot of people use earth balance but I use Fleichman's unsalted. It doesn't have dairy, and it's in every grocery store.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:44 pm
Large supermarkets and health food stores tend to carry butter alternatives. Margarine is a pretty good alternative, but be careful and check the ingredients first. Some margarines still have non-vegan products in them.  

Asphalt_Paradox

.Blasphemous.Vaseline.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:08 pm
XxbloodyromancexX
i knew about margarine of course, it's just so gross, like you said xp almost no point in using it if you wanna be healthy about it. i've heard of the vegan margarine, but it feels like a myth. i could try and find it online i suppose.

I go for Becel Olive Oil margarine. It tastes like margarine and not butter, unfortunatley, but its made with canola and olive oil. It's low in saturated and trans fat too.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:00 pm
I remember a few pages on the web with a list of vegan substitutions for various ingredients, but this page seems to have them all on one page:
http://vegkansascity.com/substitutions.html

So for butter, it would depend what you're using it for. If you're going to use it to grease a pan or something, you might want to try an olive oil or something instead.

For baking, apple sauce is listed here, but since it's also a popular vegan baking substitute for eggs, you might want to pick two different substitutions (unless you're making apple muffins?).

And as a topping, I'm not sure what else would have the same kind of taste and texture as butter, other than margarine maybe. It is just hardened oil, right? I tried a brand called Olivia or something similar once, made from olive oil. It had a really ncie flavour, and was harder than most margarines, more similar to butter in hardness.  

[Matsuko]

Astrox

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:54 pm
I use Earth Balance. As far as healthy (and vegan) margarines go, it's definately a good replacement for butterr.

Reasons I like it...
+non-GMO
+Kosher
+non-hydrogenated
+Works like butter in most baking
+Tastes more like butter than other margarine brands

The only reason why I don't like it is because it's kinda pricey.  
Recipes & Cooking Tips

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff