Reply ~ Main Forum ~
Depression? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Celria

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:05 am
How true is it that gothics are depressed or think about suicide?

I know I suffer from bouts of depression, but is it accurate to label the gothic stereotype in this way?  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:44 am
*cpoies and pastes from this thread *

Depressive/suicidal: The general psychological make-up of the majority of goths suggests that they are the type to become more depressed easily. However, just because of that it doesn't mean that it is a rule of goth, it's just a trend.*

*not fashion trend, as in study/survey trend...  

Isobel Bellamy

H a m b e r g l e r

Feral Phantom

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:54 am
I don't think it's fair to correctly put that stereotype on 'goths,' seeing as everyone gets depressed, and a lot of people think about suicide... I put the word 'goths' in quotes, because it's a label that I don't like to use. I don't like labels at all.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:13 pm
most people think that most goths are depressed and such, and that they don't like sunlight, etc.

And also, the stereotypical 'goth' people are just all of these stupid emo kids running around senslessly.

I mean, sure, I write some depressing poetry, but that's because it helps me get my emotions and stuff out, and it really helps.

but, i've done some researching and everything, and they seem to be the nicest people.

and that they don't ******** wear black all the time. That really pisses me off, becuase people think i'm this "gothy sorts" of person, which in reality I only like the music portion of the culture.

so yeah....i've put in my two cents...

[ Die Katze ]

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:42 pm
Being depressed or suicidal... those are possibly the biggest innaccuracies about the goth stereotype, perhaps only topped by "goths worship satan". Everyone gets depressed at some point. Goths get no more or less depressed than "normal" people.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:15 pm
Gah. Here's a nerve button. Not all Goths are depressed. Not all Goths cut. Believe it or not, I never have. And I never will. It's stupid and I don't see why anyone does it.  

KoRnfucius

lurichan
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:11 pm
Celria

I know I suffer from bouts of depression, but is it accurate to label the gothic stereotype in this way?

I think that is a common misconception that arises from the fact that goths tend to have a slightly more morbid sense of humor, and generally can deal with depression more effectively. Also because goth people don't generally open up to just anyone they are oftern mislabled as anti-social or depressed because they don't want to interact with their supposed peer group.

Everyone can become depressed, but I think too many people confuse angst with depression and mislable accordingly.

After all, someone who feels they aren't being accepted by their family for who they are might be a bit upset and angsty about the whole situation, but that doesn't automatically mean they are depressed, just a bit pissed off and annoyed really.

As for the suicide part... I think more goths might think about it not as a means of escape, but just sucide in general. Perhaps they had friends or loved ones who have commited sucided, or perhaps they find an aestetic beauty in the way that blood runs down the wrists of a person who has attempted to kill themselves in such a manner. I don't think goths are any more sucidal than any other social group, mearly that the macabre aspect of it might come to mind from time to time, and perhaps even spur on creative jucies that can be channeled into poetry or short stories.

Just my thoughts and opinions.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:42 pm
darkspirals666
I don't think it's fair to correctly put that stereotype on 'goths,' seeing as everyone gets depressed, and a lot of people think about suicide... I put the word 'goths' in quotes, because it's a label that I don't like to use. I don't like labels at all.

i agree labels are just what the world has put on people these days..basicly categorizing them thinking they know someone when really they dont...you are who you are..  

destinygirl_8

Celria

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:23 am
Wait, how can you be in a guild which is all about a label, if you don't beleive in labels?  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:37 pm
I suffer about the same amount of depression as any other ordinary teenager..

What people don't realize these days is that teenagers DO GET DEPRESSED! It's part of horomones. You end up with gothic teenagers who are just more open about their emotions than other teens, and everybody assumes when you're depressed, you dress gothic.  

Funkyblueeyes

Isobel Bellamy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:30 pm
lurichan
Celria

I think that is a common misconception that arises from the fact that goths tend to have a slightly more morbid sense of humor, and generally can deal with depression more effectively. Also because goth people don't generally open up to just anyone they are oftern mislabled as anti-social or depressed because they don't want to interact with their supposed peer group.

Everyone can become depressed, but I think too many people confuse angst with depression and mislable accordingly.

After all, someone who feels they aren't being accepted by their family for who they are might be a bit upset and angsty about the whole situation, but that doesn't automatically mean they are depressed, just a bit pissed off and annoyed really.

As for the suicide part... I think more goths might think about it not as a means of escape, but just sucide in general. Perhaps they had friends or loved ones who have commited sucided, or perhaps they find an aestetic beauty in the way that blood runs down the wrists of a person who has attempted to kill themselves in such a manner. I don't think goths are any more sucidal than any other social group, mearly that the macabre aspect of it might come to mind from time to time, and perhaps even spur on creative jucies that can be channeled into poetry or short stories.

Just my thoughts and opinions.

^What she said 3nodding

Celria
Wait, how can you be in a guild which is all about a label, if you don't beleive in labels?

I too share this wonderment  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:54 pm
I'm depressed. I've told my mom about it, but "you'll get over it. You're just lazy".

This has been happening since 3rd grade. I just realized it. I hate that people put that label on goths. My friend andy thought goth "was the religion of worshipping the devil." 'tis the staggering ignorance of the world. My friend Mary Grace is atheist, and she got crucified. For 20 minutes, the bastards of my class were questioning her about nothing.

Yes, I'm massively emo , but not more so than my bro.  

Nazo no Kanjojin

Anarchist flame

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:55 pm
Celria

The "EMO" kids as they like to be called just piss me off, because I am personally deppressed and have had a shitty life, now no one listens to me because of this trend. I take life in stride and have been abused and beaten many times. I can't speak for all, but this is me.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:48 pm
Anarchistbleeding

The "EMO" kids as they like to be called just piss me off, because I am personally deppressed and have had a shitty life, now no one listens to me because of this trend. I take life in stride and have been abused and beaten many times. I can't speak for all, but this is me.

I hear you. I'm genuinely depressed, crying alot of nights, and insecure as all ********. I don't know why, maybe it's a chemical imbalance, maybe it's because I _did_ have an abusive childhood. Who knows.

To be dismissed with a 'cheer up emo kid' doesn't really make me feel any better. <3  

Celria

WeissVicious

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:22 pm
there are times when i get upset for no reason...and there are times where i cry when I try to sleep...but everyone gets depressed, not just regularly goths but everyone!

I think Columbine was the reason for the stereo type...hmmm...Idk, because i do remember reading on a site that the school organizations started checking all kids that wore black with eyeliner or goths in general were usually had their rooms checked and their clothes and had them all go to councilers even if they weren't depressed.....i'm not sure if the columbine thing is off the topic but I believe that is how the stereotyping for goths was born...or not *shrugs*  
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff