Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.
what do you think of the Terri Schaivo situation? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What do you think of this whole mess?
I think they should leave her feeding tube out
46%
 46%  [ 6 ]
I think it's an immoral idea
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I don't know
15%
 15%  [ 2 ]
This is the first I've heard of it, fill me in
23%
 23%  [ 3 ]
Who cares?
15%
 15%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 13

TheLoneBassist46

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:00 am
Much controversy over this and I just want to hear your opinions on the matter  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:31 pm
I think the way the Bush admin have attempted to subvert the judicial process is pretty much scandalous.  

A Lost Iguana

Aged Pants

9,100 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Days of Empire

Mega Genius

7,750 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Overstocked 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:25 am
I voted 'This is the first I've heard of it', largely because I didn't recognize the name, but now I think I have heard of it.

Personally I'm a big advocate of euthenasia and assissted suicide. Keeping someone alive when they're in great pain with no hope of recovery is nothing short of a form of torture. It's downright unethical.

If people are capable of saying they want to die, they should be able to die, whether or not they have the ability to do it themselves.

I know that in this case, she isn't capable of saying it, but as there is no chance of her recovery, it should fall to her kin to decide, as long as everything is witnessed and recorded to ensure fair play.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:41 am
This has been on the news too much and it annoys me, I say kill the b***h.

Also, I may be drunk and thus reserve the right to edit this and any subsequent quotations of it.

Regards,

Invictus

Invictus_88
Captain

Nebelstern
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:02 am
Invictus_88
This has been on the news too much and it annoys me, I say kill the b***h.

Also, I may be drunk and thus reserve the right to edit this and any subsequent quotations of it.

Regards,

Invictus

I think that is a little heartless considering she has just died. stare  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:50 am
Note...Invi is drunk and therefore any comments made are done so in a stupid fashoin.  

Moomba666

Nebelstern
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:03 pm
Moomba666
Note...Invi is drunk and therefore any comments made are done so in a stupid fashoin.

Yes, I suppose...
At least, I hope that it is only sadistic drunkeness... confused  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:09 pm
Nebelstern
Moomba666

Yes, I suppose...
At least, I hope that it is only sadistic drunkeness... confused

He types damn well for any other kind of drunkness...  

Boolean Julian
Crew

cant_delete_accounts

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:15 pm
When someone told me she had died, my first response was, "about time." She had no brain functions aside from those nessescary to keep the blood oxygenated and pumping. I do not believe that this is a states-rights situation, but rather a PERSONAL rights matter.

I feel mean saying this, but a dead vegetable is better, in my opinion, than a living one.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:21 am
Erix Griffon
I voted 'This is the first I've heard of it', largely because I didn't recognize the name, but now I think I have heard of it.

Personally I'm a big advocate of euthenasia and assissted suicide. Keeping someone alive when they're in great pain with no hope of recovery is nothing short of a form of torture. It's downright unethical.

If people are capable of saying they want to die, they should be able to die, whether or not they have the ability to do it themselves.

I know that in this case, she isn't capable of saying it, but as there is no chance of her recovery, it should fall to her kin to decide, as long as everything is witnessed and recorded to ensure fair play.

That is basically the policy I agree with.  

Knightsedge
Crew

Tsamikayu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:52 am
I voted "I don't know" because I think it was a very personal family matter, and it should have stayed that way. Why all those Americans decided to poke their noses in I don't know. Self-righteous religious people deciding that it was a matter for God, I don't know. It just quite pissed me off that it was so publicised.

Sure, it's a valid debate, but debates should be left outside cases like this. All those people getting involved just made the experience all the more hard for the family. Personally I wouldn't want anyone campaigning for the life of one of my family members who they have never met.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:20 pm
I'm all for VOLUNTARY euthinasia. I wouldn't want to live if I was a vegetable.  

Manji_killer of n00bs

Zoutout

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:34 pm
Were I ever to have some kind of risky operation, I think I'd sign a DNR, but only DNR if i become a vegetable.
If I become comatose, then let me have a chance for a while, but braindead... what's the point?  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:00 pm
I haven't really been following the Terri Schiavo case, but I think that if she was in a persistant vegitative state and being kept alive artificially against her wishes and that she'd never regain 'consciousness' to a degree, then it was ethical to allow her to die. I don't know everything about the case, though, and I'd prefer to allow the courts to decide something like that than judge myself.

What does perplex me is all the talk of "natural death". That isn't the issue, surely: my 'natural' death would have been seventeen years ago. If it weren't for artificial intervention she would have died 'naturally' already, the issue is whether her life should have been prolonged artificially any more or whether she should have been allowed to die.  

Foetus In Fetu
Vice Captain

A Lost Iguana

Aged Pants

9,100 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:47 am
The point was that no-one knew whether she wanted to live or not. Her husband said that she did not, her parents disagreed. It is a salient example of why "living wills" may be a good idea.  
The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games