Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Counting your chickens... Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kal Eldritch

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 7:09 pm
There is an old euphamism which seems to ring true in a lot of instances of my life. "Don't count your chickens before they hatch" is the one I'm talking about of course. And, well, damned be me if I didn't do that again.

You see, it has occured to me in the past weeks that my studies have been moving much to quickly for their own good. Without much mastery of even the most basic requirements of beginners occult practice (energy manipulation), I've seen fit to skip this part and instead focus on the much more alluring facets of occultism. I have erred, and I wish to correct this.

Because of my headlong ways, I have no books as to the basics of basics and since i am solitary in my pursuit (I've longed for some sort of mentor, but alas, my meek ways have hindered me in this aspect as well) the book is my most valuable asset. But (and I swear this is the last of my woes) my funds are extremely limited.

And so good gaians, I beseech thee with this request. What would be the best book (preferably one, but two or three will be ok as well) that I might buy on this subject? As a second request, I'd like to ask you for a bit of personal advice. Lately, I've been trying to achieve relaxed meditation, but I'm not sure if I'm going about it the right way. What are some of the methods you use to enter a meditative state? Are there any other forms of meditation that I should know about?  
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 4:53 am
What sort of areas, exactly, do you want to focus on? I mean, some of the standard books for witchcraft are leagues away from the heavy-duty basic occultist stuff and things like Wicca or Satanism are an entirely different breed of book altogether. What are you looking for?

As for meditation, eh, I don't so much meditate as go places so it depends on what you're trying to accomplish. If you want to calm yourself and empty your mind and all that malarkey, sitting in bed and listening to my clock ticking tends to do that. I have a very loud, annoying clock. But I tend to find that kind of meditation somewhat boring, though nice and relaxing when you need it. If you're wondering about the other kind of meditation then you'll have to ask someone who knows you better than I do. I aint gonna be telling you where to go. wink  

Pelta

Starlock

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 6:48 am
Maybe the best thing to do would be not to learn from a book, but from a respectable teacher? You may not have anyone who can teach you meditation in your area, but you never know until you look. Getting experience from another person might be just the thing you need, ya know?  
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 2:06 pm
missmagpie
What sort of areas, exactly, do you want to focus on? I mean, some of the standard books for witchcraft are leagues away from the heavy-duty basic occultist stuff and things like Wicca or Satanism are an entirely different breed of book altogether. What are you looking for?
Bare bones basic as far as this is concerned. Centering, grounding, warding, sheilding, etc. because I never got a gandle on them and i know a lot of people think these things to be the basics of occultism. The road which I think I'll eventually take is that of the ceremonial magician. The medieval grimoires have facinated me so for years. But, I also have a strong curiousity about necromancy and the Kemetic religion as well.

Quote:
As for meditation, eh, I don't so much meditate as go places so it depends on what you're trying to accomplish. If you want to calm yourself and empty your mind and all that malarkey, sitting in bed and listening to my clock ticking tends to do that. I have a very loud, annoying clock. But I tend to find that kind of meditation somewhat boring, though nice and relaxing when you need it. If you're wondering about the other kind of meditation then you'll have to ask someone who knows you better than I do. I aint gonna be telling you where to go. wink
Lol. I'm wishing I had a loud clock now, just so I could see just how boring it is. It sounds excruciating...

@Starlock: Yes, I know. I do know a Wiccan high priestess (she's legit, though I couldn't tell you the lineage off the top of my head), but she's also one of my managers, so I'd feel a bit odd asking her. Eh, I'll try it, but I don't really know where she'd teach me. I'd feel even more odd at her house confused  

Kal Eldritch

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 9:40 pm
Have you taken a look at Sacred Texts?

Can't beat free with a stick.

As for meditation- depends on what kind. I like moving meditations myself.

And what "basic" aspects of the "occult" are you looking into? Neo-Paganism? A Recon path? Ceremonial Magic?  
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 7:17 am
TeaDidikai

And what "basic" aspects of the "occult" are you looking into? Neo-Paganism? A Recon path? Ceremonial Magic?
*sigh* I knew that I phrased that wrong. Basically, all I'm looking for is an introduction to energy manipulation. Perhaps it would have been better if I said that, no? Eventually, I'll be studying Ceremonial Magic, but before I progress, I'd like to get a strong grounding in energy manipulation and deep relaxation meditation.  

Kal Eldritch

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 10:38 am
Sovereign of Darkness
TeaDidikai

*sigh* I knew that I phrased that wrong. Basically, all I'm looking for is an introduction to energy manipulation. Perhaps it would have been better if I said that, no? Eventually, I'll be studying Ceremonial Magic, but before I progress, I'd like to get a strong grounding in energy manipulation and deep relaxation meditation.

Yasmine has some good intros to both in Embracing the Moon.

Let me look over my shelves for more stuff.  
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 9:45 pm
TeaDidikai
Sovereign of Darkness
TeaDidikai

Yasmine has some good intros to both in Embracing the Moon.

Let me look over my shelves for more stuff.
I've heard the name mentioned before somewhere. I'll look into it. Thank you ^^  

Kal Eldritch

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 2:26 am
I'm a big fan of her work. Biased- as I know her in real life.

While I lothe Kraig, have you looked at his works? He did some "High Magic" 101 Books that I know are popular.  
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 7:28 am
TeaDidikai
I'm a big fan of her work. Biased- as I know her in real life.

While I lothe Kraig, have you looked at his works? He did some "High Magic" 101 Books that I know are popular.
I've read the bulk of Modern Magick: Eleven Lessens in High Magic. It was an OK book and he does manage to explain things pretty well. Eh, I'd rather just learn Hebrew and pick up the Sepher Yetzerah. The one thing in that book that really stuck with me was the LBRP...and that's about all I can remember since most of my books have been dislocated. (I don't really mind, most of them were fluffy. D.J. Conway make Sovereign queasy xp )  

Kal Eldritch

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 1:32 pm
LBRP is a classic ritual.

And if you are looking for the Sepher Yetzerah and the Zohar, you know they are on Sacred Texts.com in English.  
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 4:15 pm
Yes...I did...because I thought of looking for them... ninja

I hope to get a Hebrew version of the texts sooner or later. Wherever there are translations, there is the potential for misinformation. Besides, it'd be nice to actually understand the words I'm saying during the LBRP, without an at hand translation that is.  

Kal Eldritch

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 4:58 pm
Sovereign of Darkness

I hope to get a Hebrew version of the texts sooner or later. Wherever there are translations, there is the potential for misinformation. Besides, it'd be nice to actually understand the words I'm saying during the LBRP, without an at hand translation that is.

Fair enough. What are you doing to learn Hebrew?  
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 8:49 pm
TeaDidikai
Sovereign of Darkness

Finding what i'm going to do to learn Hebrew xd . I have a hebrew friend that could teach me, but he's always preaching about it being such a damn hard language to learn. Any suggestions?  

Kal Eldritch

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 10:32 pm
Sovereign of Darkness
TeaDidikai
Sovereign of Darkness

Finding what i'm going to do to learn Hebrew xd . I have a hebrew friend that could teach me, but he's always preaching about it being such a damn hard language to learn. Any suggestions?

Emersion courses.

Then speak with your friend and practice with them.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff