Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Fantasy Books Guild
The Chronicles of Narnia:The Magician's Nephew By C.S Lewis Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Uncle Andrew and Jadis:
  are both evil
  would make a cute couple
  will put a band together
  doesn't
View Results

lavenvi05

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 9:13 pm
From the back of the book cover:

Narnia...Where the woods are thick and cool, where Taliking beasts are called to life...a new world where the adventure begins.
Digory and Polly meet and become friends one cold, wet summer in London. Their livesburst into adventure when Digory's Uncle Andrew, who thinks he is a magician, sends them hurtling to...somewhere else. They find their way to Narnia, newborn from the lion's song, and encounter the evil sorceress Jadis before they finally return home.

Opinions?

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 4:11 pm
It's a fairly good series. Not my favorite series, by a long shot, but not bad. I liked The Horse and His Boy the best out of all the books. It just interested me more than the others. Actually, that's what started me reading the series in general.  

NightIntent
Captain

VirmarIanosian

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 10:00 pm
I honestly loved the series. It added to of my favorites, fantasy and bible fiction together by creating a story that shows bible story in a way kids will have fun with. They still have to be shown the connection though. My whole family loves this series.  
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 8:21 am
I just started on the second book. The movie was so awsome! I have it on dvd!! heart  

lavenvi05

VirmarIanosian

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 10:38 am
My favorite books out of the series were The Last Battle and Dawn Treader. You're right though, the movie was awesome.  
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 10:14 am
heart Heck yeah it was! The battle was the best part!! heart  

lavenvi05

VirmarIanosian

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 9:07 pm
lavenvi05
heart Heck yeah it was! The battle was the best part!! heart

I ment the last book. It's called The Final Battle. But yeah, the last battle of the movie was fantastic.  
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 9:52 pm
You know, I've never seen the movie. But I've always loved time travel and world hopping, so I was ga-ga for the Magician's Nephew, especially the bit with the two rings and the Wood Between the Worlds. Or whatever that place was called. I was also very fond of the Horse and His Boy.  

Harbone

VirmarIanosian

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 10:17 pm
Harbone
You know, I've never seen the movie. But I've always loved time travel and world hopping, so I was ga-ga for the Magician's Nephew, especially the bit with the two rings and the Wood Between the Worlds. Or whatever that place was called. I was also very fond of the Horse and His Boy.

It was called the wood between the worlds. You should read The Final Battle if you havn't. It has some of that time jumping you mentioned.  
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 9:04 am
I just started reading The Magician's Nephew - I read The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe first. It was fantastic biggrin and the movie was also good 3nodding  

Mayru

lavenvi05

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 9:25 am
You know what annoyed me though? disney channel said it was the first book, and instead of making the Magician's nephew into a film, they put in the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. It's a good movie, but still...  
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 11:09 am
I liked the Magicians Nephew, but The Horse and his Boy was my favorite. I probably going to reread the series soon. Its been awhile...  

Hiitachin Kaoru

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 5:14 pm
lavenvi05
You know what annoyed me though? disney channel said it was the first book, and instead of making the Magician's nephew into a film, they put in the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. It's a good movie, but still...

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe was the first book, as published. Chronologically, book-time, The Magician's Nephew would be first, but it was published sixth. So I'm assuming Disney's going with the publishing order, not the book time periods.  
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 8:49 pm
NightIntent
lavenvi05

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe was the first book, as published. Chronologically, book-time, The Magician's Nephew would be first, but it was published sixth. So I'm assuming Disney's going with the publishing order, not the book time periods.

That's if they publish all of them. You know, I found out the entire book series was a tv movie series in like the 60's or 70's.  

VirmarIanosian

Harbone

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 9:14 pm
I've read the Last Battle, but I don't have as much of a problem with, for instance Moorish Islam as CS Lewis did, so I didn't enjoy the giant scarab beetle thing or the rather nasty "that's your just comeuppeance" side of the whole thing. It was never my favorite part of a fairy tale to watch what happened to the wicked witch, for instance, or to read about the rich man beggining for water while the beggar lay at the breast of Abraham. I'm just not that kinda guy. I got a complete set of the Narnia Chronicles in paperback one year for Christmas long ago. Actually, I've read Screwtape Letters, too, and Out of the Silent Planet and Perelandra (or whatever Venus was called.) I've only read bits of the Great Divorce and that one about the busload of tourists who holiday in Heaven.

But I still like the Magician's Nephew. My sister and I used to think saying "Dem Fine Woman" about someone horrible was a really funny joke.  
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff