Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Songs/Hymns Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Crysiana

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 7:49 pm
I've been having a bit of a dilemma lately. I love music, particularly choral music or simple songs, and it would be my first choice of expressing devotion, but it seems as if there's a dearth of songs for Asatru. As compared to say, Christianity, which admittedly has had the time, people, and wherewithal to amass a lot of really great music. I know that there's Asatru music, of course, but I suppose I'm looking for something comparable to hymns - something that requires no or minimal accompaniment to sound okay. Does anyone have suggestions on places to look or investigate? Or even recommendations?

(I'll add that I am unfortunately not gifted with the skills to compose songs myself, either in terms of poetry or in terms of music.)

[Crossposted to M&R, sorry to those who'll see this twice.]  
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 10:27 pm
One of the groups I genuially like is Libana (I've got their CD A circle is cast). They've got some very beautiful songs that i find myself humming a lot. Not always "pagan" but beautiful works, a lot done in rounds.  

maenad nuri
Captain

Doctrix

Blessed Friend

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 10:46 pm
I know how you feel. I spent an hour Googling "Pagan chants" and adding search terms like "MP3" to download plenty of songs and learn to sing them. Another good way is to simply go to any public circles, fairs or workshops in your area that might teach songs or chants. Over the years I've amassed quite a few, and I note them in a book so that I can look them up and remember them later. I'm actually joining a local Pagan singing group called the Sacred Fire Choir next month.  
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 7:43 am
while not pagan, Anonymous 4 is really good just to simply listen to. their hymns (yes, sweatdrop i know, they are specifically christian) are phenominal!

also, try Loreena McKennitt, as some of her songs sound very pagan.  

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Pelta

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:48 am
Pick a mode, let's say Dorian. (D-E-F-G-A-B-C-D Twas the precurser to the modern scale and what most Gregorian Chants are written in) Start on D. Move in steps or thirds in either direction. End on D. Add words. Bingo. mrgreen

If you have a piano, start on a D and just mess around playing only white notes and ending on D and you'll be in Dorian. Typically chants or hymns only go in thirds or steps. Just play around and find combinations that you like and sound nice. Remember the tune or write it down. Add words.

Thirds: D-F-E-G-F-A-G-B-A-C-B-D
Steps: D-E-F-G-A-B-C-D  
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 7:47 pm
missmagpie
Pick a mode, let's say Dorian. (D-E-F-G-A-B-C-D Twas the precurser to the modern scale and what most Gregorian Chants are written in) Start on D. Move in steps or thirds in either direction. End on D. Add words. Bingo. mrgreen

If you have a piano, start on a D and just mess around playing only white notes and ending on D and you'll be in Dorian. Typically chants or hymns only go in thirds or steps. Just play around and find combinations that you like and sound nice. Remember the tune or write it down. Add words.

Great idea! Also, if you happen to know the tune to the children's round "Rose" (Rose, rose, rose, rose, will I ever see you red? Gentle blossoms; No more need be sad.) You can put other words to that. I've noticed that many of the Pagan songs I've learned seem to match up to the tune of "Rose!"  

Doctrix

Blessed Friend

Pelta

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 12:27 am
[Kudzu]
missmagpie

Great idea! Also, if you happen to know the tune to the children's round "Rose" (Rose, rose, rose, rose, will I ever see you red? Gentle blossoms; No more need be sad.) You can put other words to that. I've noticed that many of the Pagan songs I've learned seem to match up to the tune of "Rose!"
Oooh good idea! I don't actually know "Rose," but changing the words to childrens' songs is a great way to make chants. Not to mention you'd never forget them because "Baa baa black sheep" is probably ingrained in your memory for life.  
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 9:08 pm
phoenix shadowwolf
while not pagan, Anonymous 4 is really good just to simply listen to. their hymns (yes, sweatdrop i know, they are specifically christian) are phenominal!

YES!

(Sorry, polyphony nut here!)  

maenad nuri
Captain

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 9:22 pm
Asatru have a lot of songs based on Christian hymns.

The Wolves Will Bay is one of my all time favorites.

Could also look into Galdor.  
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 10:39 pm
missmagpie

Sudden-urge-to-play-guitar-in-Dorian...overwhelming...  

Kal Eldritch

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 2:22 am
As long as we are on the topic of Asatru songs being put to other music:

Odin Loves the Little Vikings
(to the tune of Jesus Loves the little Children)

Odin loves the little Vikings
All the Vikings of the world
Whether drunk on ale or mead
In a boat or on a steed
Odin loves the little Vikings of the world.

If you're drunk and thrown in jail
Odin - and your axe! - are bail

Offer up an ox or two
And he'll be in debt to you.
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 4:04 am
missmagpie

A trained musician? I love it. You even knew added that the "laws" or "rules" of music of the time told you if you jump (preferably only in thirds) you must step back in the opposite direction. *points* Music History I, I can smell it on you!  

Laruza

Pelta

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 1:53 pm
Laruza
missmagpie

A trained musician? I love it. You even knew added that the "laws" or "rules" of music of the time told you if you jump (preferably only in thirds) you must step back in the opposite direction. *points* Music History I, I can smell it on you!

ninja

*Considers resurrecting music thread*

*smells like music history*  
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 2:41 pm
Please do!

~has a pretty bowed Psaltery and would like to use it to review the lessons~  

TeaDidikai

Demonizing

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:26 pm
can anyone give me someone to listen to i am in a it of a delamna  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]