Reply Fantasy Books Guild
Has anyone Read Robin Hobb??? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ex Obscurum ut Incendia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:28 am
I just recently finished Both 'The Farseer' trilogy and 'The Tawny Man' trilogy. I have to say... These have to be one of the best, if not the best fantasy storyline ever in terms of character development and plot procession. This series is just amazing. It is so well developed and detailed that I just couldn't put it down. I would recommend this to anyone who loves fantasy...  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:59 pm
I read the Farseer Trilogy and loved it, especially the Fool. I'm definitely going to read more once I have the time. Do you know the name of the book it would most make sense to read after the Farseer Trilogy? Are the characters the same?  

Ashanti Codex

Cassandra_the_Prophetess

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:07 pm
I absolutely ADORE Robin Hobb, she's one of my favourite authors of all time. I have read all her books, including her new one Shaman's Crossing, and the ones she wrote as Megan Lindholm.

Ashanti, you should read the Liveship Traders trilogy now. They are set just after the Farseer Trilogy, far to the south of the Six Duchies, its pretty much a new story with different characters, but it does tie into the next series The Tawny Man. The first Liveship book is called Ship of Magic.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:22 am
Well, my favorite character was Nighteyes... *sighs* I hate that the series ended... But after I read the Farseer I went on to read 'Tawny Man' (I started to dislike FItz after he kept making the same judgment errors...)

Yea yea, I know... I skipped 3 books. But 'Beloved' never interested me until after Tawny Man. I love how she tied it all up though. Unfortunatly a few loose ends still do remain.  

Ex Obscurum ut Incendia

Ashanti Codex

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:11 pm
Cassandra_the_Prophetess
I absolutely ADORE Robin Hobb, she's one of my favourite authors of all time. I have read all her books, including her new one Shaman's Crossing, and the ones she wrote as Megan Lindholm.

Ashanti, you should read the Liveship Traders trilogy now. They are set just after the Farseer Trilogy, far to the south of the Six Duchies, its pretty much a new story with different characters, but it does tie into the next series The Tawny Man. The first Liveship book is called Ship of Magic.
Thanks! I'll book it on my book list...which is getting kinda long sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:31 pm
Tiamit
Well, my favorite character was Nighteyes... *sighs* I hate that the series ended... But after I read the Farseer I went on to read 'Tawny Man' (I started to dislike FItz after he kept making the same judgment errors...)

Fitz's judgement errors are one reason I stopped after the first trilogy. I liked it well enough, but wasn't quite caught strongly enough to continue through (how many?) more trilogies.  

Bookwyrme

Ex Obscurum ut Incendia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:13 am
Believe me, the 'Tawny Man' tril is well worth it. Having over-indulged myself in epic fantasy for a long period of time I find most don't even entertain me. But I was highly surprized about how much I could relate to him and his losses. Relate, not equal... But if you have read the first part of the series then I highly recomend the last one. I haven't read 'Liveship Traders' yet, so no thoughts on that...

But it does get better.
(Edit - A lot of things start to make sense from the first 3 books after you have read the last 3)  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:31 pm
The Liveship Traders is a fantastic series in its own right, completely discounting the Farseer/Tawny Man, its a really great story, i actually read them first, and they got me addicted to all things Hobb. I've since re-read them 3 times.  

Cassandra_the_Prophetess

binaryfaerie

Sparkly Fairy

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 8:26 pm
I need to keep up with this guild more... ^^;

OMG ROBIN HOBB! She is absolutely my favorite fantasy author. I've read most of her books multiple times. I did the same thing you did, I read the Farseers, then Tawny Man, then Liveships. I didn't realized that the Liveships would tie into the Tawny Man trilogy as well, since they were narrated by Fitz. I almost didn't read the Liveships, but I'm so glad I did because they are incredible. I found the first a bit hard to get into, but after that it was amazing.

My favorite character is definitely the Fool. I cried at the end of Fool's Fate. crying  
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 2:28 am
I loved it, I read both the seriesyou read (first post). I liked them a lot. It was sad though, how the charectors changed over time, but that is the point of the story and why I like it, the people grew.  

Super Sexy Goldfish

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:46 pm
I'm in the middle os Assassin's Apprentice, and it's pretty good. Depending on how the rest of it is, I may finish the series.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:02 pm
NightIntent
I'm in the middle os Assassin's Apprentice, and it's pretty good. Depending on how the rest of it is, I may finish the series.

Yay! biggrin I'm in the middle of Assassin's Quest right now. I'm trying to decide whether to read the Liveship Traders next or skip straight to the Tawny Man. I don't know if I have enough time left in the summer to read all six, but I really like the Liveships...  

binaryfaerie

Sparkly Fairy

Lainy122

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:15 am
Tiamit
I just recently finished Both 'The Farseer' trilogy and 'The Tawny Man' trilogy. I have to say... These have to be one of the best, if not the best fantasy storyline ever in terms of character development and plot procession. This series is just amazing. It is so well developed and detailed that I just couldn't put it down. I would recommend this to anyone who loves fantasy...

I quite liked the Assassin trilogy, but never took the time to read anything else of hers. Then, last year at one of the Australia Science Fiction and Fantasy Writing Convention, she was one of the guest's of honour, and she read a segment of her then-new book, Shaman's Crossing, and I really enjoyed it! Alas, I still have yet to read it, but it's definately on my to-read list! ^_^  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:38 am
I read both of the series. I loved them, but they were so sad because of how much the charectors changed over time. But that is also what made it good, they changed with what happened to them. They were, I dunno, human...  

Super Sexy Goldfish

Jesm

6,350 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:53 pm
I also really liked the Farseer triolgy so I went on to read the Ship of Magic one and I just couldn't get into it... I thought it took a bit too long to get started actually but after all this praise I might give it another go...  
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff