Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Shounen Ai and Yaoi Guild

Back to Guilds

A Guild dedicated to discussing Yaoi and Boy Love. 

Tags: yaoi, shounen ai, boy love, anime, manga 

Reply [Rant and Rave]_____GLBT, Life-Topics, Politics, Rants
Gay religion? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What type of religion?
  Monotheism (only one god)
  Monolatry (type of polytheism, more than one god, but only one should be worshipped.)
  Henotheism (more than one god, but one is supreme.)
  Kathenotheism (more than one god, but only one should be worshipped at one time. each is supreme in turn.)
  Panentheism (universe contained within a deity greater than the universe
  Strong Agnosticism (it is impossible and will always be impossible to say whether there is a god)
  Pantheism (universe is identical to a deity.)
  Weak Agnosticism (it is impossible to say right now whether there is a god, but hopefully we'll find more evidence.)
  Weak Atheism (Absence of belief in the presence of a deity)
  Deism (Belief that a deity created the universe, but does not interact with it)
View Results

Kuroi Kokoro no Mendori

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:17 pm
Okay, I've been reading over topics in the ED, and listening to people in real life, and I have come to the conclusion that people are discriminatory against homosexuals. .......DUH. Furthermore, I have found that discrimination based on sexual orientation is perfectly legal in Canada and the U.S.A. Again, duh. Well this might seem hypocritical (it IS.) don't panic just yet! I have also read over various Canadian and American laws, and I have noticed, (strangely enough) that discrimination based on religion is NOT legal. VERY not legal.

......I'm sure you can see the train of thought from here on out.

So. We'll start a religion based on the whole concept of being attracted to the same or both genders. I need details for said religion so it doesn't end up looking like the total farce it is, as well. Are we an atheistic, monotheistic, polytheistic, or animistic religion? (the last refers to animals, not anime. although we can hve anime too..... wink )

One basic law i need to lay down right now:

This religion is accepting of other religions. We do not mind if you are already a member of another religion. You are free to practice that religion, as long as it is not harmful to another member of this religion.

Now. i want suggestions. All kinds of suggestions.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:43 pm
wait *slightly confused*

A religion for gays only? Or a religion accepting gays? Or... um, something...  

justamunkey

ShadowedMoonlight

Ruthless Sweetheart

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:28 am
I'm with justamunkey. Are we talking a religion that accepts homosexuality and bisexuality, a religion that is for homosexuals and bisexuals, a religion for those who don't discriminate against homosexuals and bisexuals, all of the above, what? I would like a little clarification.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:35 am
hmmm... difficult question. would just gays and lesbians be accepted, staying closer to the trueness of the religion, or would supporters be welcome too? thats your decision, but my opinion is that since gays and lesbians have been rejected from all other religions, while supporters have not, only gays and lesbians should be welcomed. but its your decision. ^-^; also, a suggestion, perhpas different sub-religions? like christian -> catholic, protestant, mennonite, anabaptist, etc.  

Kuroi Kokoro no Mendori

[OMFG NARKI]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:42 pm
Kuroi Kokoro no Mendori
hmmm... difficult question. would just gays and lesbians be accepted, staying closer to the trueness of the religion, or would supporters be welcome too? thats your decision, but my opinion is that since gays and lesbians have been rejected from all other religions, while supporters have not, only gays and lesbians should be welcomed.

Hyopcricy, any one? So we're descriminated, and thus the logical solution is to create a religion for ourselves and discriminate the rest, thus striking back at the established organised religions with the same double-edged? Brilliant...

Also.. Why found a religion based on sexuality to begin with? What'd that help? You do realize that you can't form a religion on the sole foundation that people are attracted to the same gender. I don't know what your line of thought is, but I don't see any connection between spirituality and sexuality in any way, at least not a sufficent one to base one's whole faith around.
If you wish to form a support group for homosexuals that are repressed within their particular religious communities that's all good, but an entire religion? I think you're off to deep water here, that's just counter-productive.
Also, bear in mind that it isn't the religion in itself that represses people, but rather individuals within.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:55 pm
I agree with Narki. YOu can't say A WHOLE RELIGION discrimanates...All of my friends know I'm bisexual, and more then half are Christians, Catholics, Baptists, Mormans etc. And they are all fine and accept it. Plus, I know plenty of gay people that are christians...  

farewell songs

Kuroi Kokoro no Mendori

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:49 pm
Narki
Kuroi Kokoro no Mendori
hmmm... difficult question. would just gays and lesbians be accepted, staying closer to the trueness of the religion, or would supporters be welcome too? thats your decision, but my opinion is that since gays and lesbians have been rejected from all other religions, while supporters have not, only gays and lesbians should be welcomed.

Hyopcricy, any one? So we're descriminated, and thus the logical solution is to create a religion for ourselves and discriminate the rest, thus striking back at the established organised religions with the same double-edged? Brilliant...

Also.. Why found a religion based on sexuality to begin with? What'd that help? You do realize that you can't form a religion on the sole foundation that people are attracted to the same gender. I don't know what your line of thought is, but I don't see any connection between spirituality and sexuality in any way, at least not a sufficent one to base one's whole faith around.
If you wish to form a support group for homosexuals that are repressed within their particular religious communities that's all good, but an entire religion? I think you're off to deep water here, that's just counter-productive.
Also, bear in mind that it isn't the religion in itself that represses people, but rather individuals within.

A religion would be made because then, people would not be able to discriminate against gays in the workplace, on the streets, etc. Discrimination based on sexuality is legal in north america, but discrimination based on religion is not. Therefore, if we made a religion based on the whole concept of "gayness" people would not be able to discriminate against gays. ^-^ Whats IN the religion doesn't matter in the slightest, as it's a total farce made only to protect us.

As for the first comment, I truly did not see that when I posted. You make a good point.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:09 pm
Faith (for people who have it) is a very profound thing. I don't think people would convert en masse to something which was just a farce. Plus it's likely to create hostility, those who feel very strongly against homosexuality are (unfortunately) often part of the religious right. Something like that would just affirm their beliefs (religion being used in such a shallow way, etc). And the press would have a field day...  

Aeronwyn

14,200 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Cheerleader 200

Kuroi Kokoro no Mendori

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:11 pm
Kikyana Ookami
I agree with Narki. YOu can't say A WHOLE RELIGION discrimanates...All of my friends know I'm bisexual, and more then half are Christians, Catholics, Baptists, Mormans etc. And they are all fine and accept it. Plus, I know plenty of gay people that are christians...

The people within a religion may not discriminate, but the religion itself does.

"If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them." Leviticus 20:13, The Bible.

See?  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:15 pm
Aeronwyn
Faith (for people who have it) is a very profound thing. I don't think people would convert en masse to something which was just a farce. Plus it's likely to create hostility, those who feel very strongly against homosexuality are (unfortunately) often part of the religious right. Something like that would just affirm their beliefs (religion being used in such a shallow way, etc). And the press would have a field day...

But, the thing is, people WOULDN'T have faith, because they are ostracized from every other mainstream religion. It wouldn't CREATE hostility, it would merely amplify hostility from those who already carry it, and those people will never give up their hostility anyways. Of course the press would have a field day. Can you say, "Gay Pride"? We are Gays, Lesbians, and Bisexuals, standing up for ourselves.  

Kuroi Kokoro no Mendori

farewell songs

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:46 pm
Kuroi Kokoro no Mendori
Kikyana Ookami

The people within a religion may not discriminate, but the religion itself does.

"If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them." Leviticus 20:13, The Bible.

See?

Sure, If you're Jewish >>;; I've had this same argument with many christians, and hardly any modern christians follow leviticus strictly. Jesus was created for the purpose of not doing all of the rituals and such from the old testament. Alot of the rules in there were unresonable to follow, and so jesus dying for people's sins took that away, and in this context, you can be gay, and you'll still be able to repent.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:51 pm
Oh, one more thing...How do you, some loser on the internet, Plan to start an entire religion >>;;?  

farewell songs

[OMFG NARKI]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:54 pm
Quote:
A religion would be made because then, people would not be able to discriminate against gays in the workplace, on the streets, etc. Discrimination based on sexuality is legal in north america, but discrimination based on religion is not. Therefore, if we made a religion based on the whole concept of "gayness" people would not be able to discriminate against gays. ^-^ Whats IN the religion doesn't matter in the slightest, as it's a total farce made only to protect us.

Now you're just being naive. Do you honestly believe it's that simple? You can't base an entire religion around a certain sexual preference and then claim that people can't discriminate your sexuality because you've based a religion around it. People would just laugh (with all right) at it and it'd risk alienating the masses and make them look down on the gay community as a whole, and that'd be counter-productive to say the least.
Also, there ARE laws protecting religions, ethnicities AND sexual orientations in the US, and what further shatters your vision of the world is that people get discriminated for all three reasons in certain situations, so don't believe for a second that founding a religion would give you any form of immunity.

Quote:
But, the thing is, people WOULDN'T have faith, because they are ostracized from every other mainstream religion. It wouldn't CREATE hostility, it would merely amplify hostility from those who already carry it, and those people will never give up their hostility anyways. Of course the press would have a field day. Can you say, "Gay Pride"? We are Gays, Lesbians, and Bisexuals, standing up for ourselves.

My, my... Reality check, any one?

For starters, homophobes DO tend to change their minds about things at times and I've vitnessed it myself, so you've already stepped on a spiketrap there. And how do you intend to base a religion without faith? You obviously haven't gotten the slightest idea on what religion and faith is about. Do some fact checking before you open your mouth next time, because as it stands now it's just saddening to see.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:28 pm
Narki

Now you're just being naive. Do you honestly believe it's that simple? You can't base an entire religion around a certain sexual preference and then claim that people can't discriminate your sexuality because you've based a religion around it. People would just laugh (with all right) at it and it'd risk alienating the masses and make them look down on the gay community as a whole, and that'd be counter-productive to say the least.
Also, there ARE laws protecting religions, ethnicities AND sexual orientations in the US, and what further shatters your vision of the world is that people get discriminated for all three reasons in certain situations, so don't believe for a second that founding a religion would give you any form of immunity.

At the moment, people can still discriminate against it, but if there was a religion attached, it would be protected by law. There are no laws protecting sexual orientation, though there are for the other two, as is my point. Yes, people get discriminated against for all three, but for the first two they can and usually do sue.

Narki

My, my... Reality check, any one?

For starters, homophobes DO tend to change their minds about things at times and I've vitnessed it myself, so you've already stepped on a spiketrap there. And how do you intend to base a religion without faith? You obviously haven't gotten the slightest idea on what religion and faith is about. Do some fact checking before you open your mouth next time, because as it stands now it's just saddening to see.

I am sorry, some homophobes do change their minds about this, but many don't. I am referring to the hardcore homophobes. Besides, people who are "pro-homosexual" will not feel hostility towards homosexuals anyways, so it works out to the same thing.

I don't intend to base a religion without faith. If the religion is viable, people will have faith in it. That is how humans are.

Kikyana Ookami
Oh, one more thing...How do you, some loser on the internet, Plan to start an entire religion >>;;?

The same way Gerald Gardner did with Wicca. Make it believable to people, and they will believe.  

Kuroi Kokoro no Mendori

LadyNox
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:57 pm
As my friend said when I told her about this thread: "Then how about we make being Black, Asian, Spanish, etc. religious too? >>;"

As many have already said, this is really silly. Being part of a religious organization doesn't mean discrimination stops. If you're Islamic (or fit the stereotype) you are so going to be discriminated against. This is happening right now in the United States of America.  
[Rant and Rave]_____GLBT, Life-Topics, Politics, Rants

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff