Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Witche's Voice (Witchvox) Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Neko_Bast

Tricky Cat

19,600 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:00 am
I thought it would be cool to post articles from Witchvox that I thought were interesting. If you have any, post them too. ^-^

I think i might have posted these somewhere elts in another tread but I can't remember........I have a tread like this in another guild so I'll put some up ever day untill I get all that are in the other thread. Then I'll post any I think are interesting on sunday or monday (that is when Witchvox updates)

Edit: links are fixed  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:00 pm
Any reason why we should read these over any other texts?

Edit: Also note, one of your links is semi-broken.  

TeaDidikai

Neko_Bast

Tricky Cat

19,600 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:13 pm
Well darn....... They worked when I first did them. mad I'll fix them.

As for a reason to read. I just thought they were interesting. Its nice to see things from other peoples points of view. Some of the ones I'm putting up have good advice or are just well a good read. ^-^

Edit: I fixed them.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:47 pm
Not harshing on you or anything- just wondering if there was a point of discussion, or what.

I mean, most folks who want to be are already part of Witchvox.

And I'm sad to say that Witchvox, while an interesting point of discussion as a whole, suffers from a lack of authority on a number of topics.

It like so many other forms of net-mass communication, are free forums. That isn't a bad thing unto itself, but there is a limited context in which said pieces are debated.  

TeaDidikai

Neko_Bast

Tricky Cat

19,600 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:04 pm
I wasn't really thinking about debate. sweatdrop I mean, if you want to you can discuss the articles. I know that some people will disagree with them because the authors have a "lack of authority," but I think they make a point of some kind.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:04 pm
Neko_Bast
I wasn't really thinking about debate. sweatdrop I mean, if you want to you can discuss the articles. I know that some people will disagree with them because the authors have a "lack of authority," but I think they make a point of some kind.

Don't take this the wrong way- but take a good look over this link if you haven't seen it yet.

It will help you understand why folks have a problem addressing positions upheld by those who do not hold authority.  

TeaDidikai

Pelta

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:25 am
Witchvox can be great from a networking point of view to meet pagans in your area (if you're into that sort of thing). Also great to find local events. The problem with the articles, though, is that any member can send them in to be published on the home page. That means I can write an article about how "Wiccan" I am without knowing a thing about it and they will (within reason) publish it. Makes for very dodgy citation, sources and reading. Plus half the members are bloody pretentious prats wink

They do have an interesting read every now and again, but mostly I get bored with the over-arching "I'm so great" tone of a lot of the pieces.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:07 am
I've read some very interesting articles on witchvox, some dire ones as well.
It's a nice way for pagans from all over to publish to one another and there should be more literate pagans willing to publish there and properly reference their articles to show the others how it's done.
*ponders maybe oneday signing onto witchvox*  

bobz

Pelta

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:53 am
bobz
there should be more literate pagans willing to publish there and properly reference their articles to show the others how it's done.
I have actually read some really good articles on it that do reference their sources. There's a whole series by a pagan detective in the States who cautions people on how to take care of themselves and who debunks all those fundamentalist 'Jack Chick'-like people. I think it's in the pagan protection section. Other than that though, the good articles are few and far between. There are far too many in that tone that makes me want to vomit...

Quote:
*ponders maybe oneday signing onto witchvox*
Don't bother. It's not really worth it. You don't really get any special perks... Unless you want to meet random internet pagans. In that respect I've had a roughly 1/3 success rate. Found one really cool guy far away... and have been hassled by two weirdos closer to home. One of them even came to the moot a while back. *shudder* Just... BEWARE!!! xp  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:19 pm
Chaiyo Dekana
Don't take this the wrong way- but take a good look over this link if you haven't seen it yet.

lol biggrin thanks for the link. Now I can refer to it when I'm in a "discution" with you or someone elts.

missmagpie
Witchvox can be great from a networking point of view to meet pagans in your area (if you're into that sort of thing). Also great to find local events. The problem with the articles, though, is that any member can send them in to be published on the home page. That means I can write an article about how "Wiccan" I am without knowing a thing about it and they will (within reason) publish it. Makes for very dodgy citation, sources and reading. Plus half the members are bloody pretentious prats wink

Just because they publish them doesn't mean everyone will take it seriously. biggrin I've read some that are really corny or just plan bad. You can usualy tell its crap from the first few paragraphs. Of course peoples ideas of crap can and do differ. I wanted other people to post articles that they liked because of that very reason.  

Neko_Bast

Tricky Cat

19,600 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Forum Regular 100

Neko_Bast

Tricky Cat

19,600 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:57 am
Well, I said that I would continue to post articles so I will. ^-^

A couple of these were found by others. I read them and liked them. I hope others read them too.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:35 am
missmagpie
There's a whole series by a pagan detective in the States who cautions people on how to take care of themselves and who debunks all those fundamentalist 'Jack Chick'-like people. I think it's in the pagan protection section.

Ooh! Sounds interesting, I'll try and find them tomorrow, if you remember the name or the title of one of the articles I'd be most appreciative.

Thanks for helping me make up my mind on joining or not joining.
A total lack of perks is bad enough, but being hassled by random pagans is out of the question for me. I LIKE being hard to find, I like that no matter where I seem to go I find magical people, or they find me...

In fact I can see only one reason right now for ever signing up, and that's to publish.... And I don't feel like doing that yet.  

bobz

Pelta

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:11 am
bobz
Ooh! Sounds interesting, I'll try and find them tomorrow, if you remember the name or the title of one of the articles I'd be most appreciative.
The author goes under the pen name of Kerr Cuhulain on Witchvox. He has a long series of articles under 'Witch Hunts' or something like that. It's an interesting read anyway.

Neko: I know what you mean. Mostly you can tell from the first few lines that they give you of the article on the home page! But it's kinda like most pagan literature - there are some amazing works if you look hard enough, but most of it is complete crap. neutral  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:18 am
missmagpie
There's a whole series by a pagan detective in the States who cautions people on how to take care of themselves and who debunks all those fundamentalist 'Jack Chick'-like people.

It's a minor point, but just for the record, Kerr Cuhulainn is Canadian. He's a cop in Vancouver.

/Can-geek  

ProfessorZed

Padmasana

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:32 am
Kerr Cuhulainn has also written at least two books that I thought made some pretty good reading. "Wiccan Warrior" and "Full Contact Magick" are their names, I believe; they aren't the best things ever, but the less-fluffy overtones and attention to practicality and martial arts-related stuff were beneficial to the all-too-few Pagan men in my life. None of us are actually Wiccan, but it was interesting nonetheless.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff