Reply Extended Discussion
Internet Dating? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ms. Chaos

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:01 pm
Okay, does anyone think that its wrong to have a boyfriend or a girlfriend over the internet?
I think that if you are positively certain that its not some 45 year old pervert living in his mothers basement, and if you really get along and feel a connection with this person, then i think that it would be fine. Also, if you can stand being a long distance relationship with someone who could be across the country or even overseas, and knowing that you may not see them for a long time, maybe never. I dont like anyone where im from that way, but when i talk to boys online i feel a stronger connection with them for some reason. I think i could stand a long distance relationship with someone. I just want to know what other people think about the topic.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:38 pm
personally, i couldn't stand it, i dont think its very realistic....
but then that could just be as a result of my lack of truust for the human race, suppose u let your self believe things are really hot and heavy with this other personm that is after your sure its a person in your age group which i guess can be clearified though phone calls and pics and letters and such, so supposing u get past all of that and u truely develop feelings for this person.
one cant know that he doesn't have his real girl friend sitting in the living room waiting while he hummers you a little or hell even standing there giggling as he has a little fun, or maybe the boys or the girlfriends if its a girl, cause heck it could go either way

then if its email or msn one can save those things , print them and do as one pleases with them. Including the pictures you send

in the end i guess its up to your level of trust
if you're sure
and you can deal with being wrong
go for it.  

yamekari

lurichan
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:05 pm
A very intersting topic to bring up. When I was in high school I really didn't connect with anyone in my area and I did have an online BF. It felt like I could talk about just about anything with him, and the age gap was managable (about 4 years). I talked to him on the phone and things like that, and arranged to meet him with my parents present. It was hard and a bit costly to have a long distance relationship like that. I went through quite a few phone cards or paid back the phone bill often. He even moved to where I was after 6 months of being in a long distance relationship. We were together for a bit over 3 years before the relationship failed.

I know it is possible to find a meaninful relationship with someone from a different place, and if you work hard enough to make things work out they can, but I also know that talking to someone online is a little different than talking to them in real life. A lot of people are more likely to keep their emotions closer to their heart in reality than on the internet, and it is dangerous at best. As much of a pain as it is to take your parents with to meet a guy from the internet, it's a lot safer than meeting someone without people around.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:29 pm
My current boyfriend actually lives 1800 miles away from me (or something like that). He's in the US, and I'm in the UK. We met over the internet, we spent time getting to know each other, and with webcams, getting to know each other's friends, we've been able to ascertain gradually that we are both genuine. In July, I am flying out to meet him and spend a few weeks with him. It's expensive; we both know that we may hate each other in real life; but at the moment we both feel strongly for each other, and are willing to take the risk. If it works out, we will eventually look at making my holidays a little more permanent.

I don't think I could stand the thought of a long distance relationship in which there was very little chance of a future together. Never seeing my boyfriend, never being with him, never touching him, never having him there to hold me when I was depressed - that would drive me insane. It is one of the most frustrating things in the world, to want to reach out and touch someone, and know they are on te other side of the world. It also takes a lot of dedication to remain "exclusive" when you are countries apart, a lot of trust on both sides. Online relationships are immensely hard work, I can't stress that enough. And they will only work out if you are both as dedicated as each other.

People often feel more connected online, because judgements aren't based on your physical appearance - people get to know the "real" you. The screen and miles seperating you can also give an illusion of safety, and so you feel happier opening up and sharing yourself with someone. However, you must remember that people can be whoever they want to be online, instead of just being who they are. Make sure you can ascertain someone's genuine, before you get involved..  

Black Ayesha

Choboxer

5,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:13 pm
I had a relationship with some guy from Buffalo, I met him online, after meeting him once, he asked me out and it was the beinging of a happy period in my life
I rarly saw him so most of the relationship was online, emails and late night phone calls (dam cell phone peak time charges)
I cant support relationships that were/are completly online. If i hadnt met my ex in real life, i would have never dated him.
Some emotions need to be evaulated/supported by physical contact

however long distance relationships can be managed with the internet, i do not however advise it

it sucks a** cry  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:07 am
Ms. Chaos
Okay, does anyone think that its wrong to have a boyfriend or a girlfriend over the internet?
I think that if you are positively certain that its not some 45 year old pervert living in his mothers basement, and if you really get along and feel a connection with this person, then i think that it would be fine. Also, if you can stand being a long distance relationship with someone who could be across the country or even overseas, and knowing that you may not see them for a long time, maybe never. I dont like anyone where im from that way, but when i talk to boys online i feel a stronger connection with them for some reason. I think i could stand a long distance relationship with someone. I just want to know what other people think about the topic.

I prefer real flesh/bones boyfriends  

Dafnea

Ms. Chaos

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:21 pm
Dafnea
Ms. Chaos

I prefer real flesh/bones boyfriends

I wish i had a boyfriend but all the guys i like that i know in the flesh already have girlfriends, or dont like me "that way". It seems to me the only guys that like me i meet online, and i know that online dating is a risk, and i would take the risk if i knew the person really well and knew they werent a 40 year old weirdo living in their mothers basement  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:39 am
I don't like internet dating because the most you can ever do is cyber. You don't feel the warmth of their skin, the pressure of their kiss, or the coolness of their breath on your neck. Without that, screw it. Like it's okay to start on the internet but why on earth would someone settle for that being the entire relationship? IM and phones are great but you need to know them in person for there to be a true-blue connection.

And I speak from experience.

Loki Iago

Anxious Scamp

KoRnfucius

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:37 pm
I think it's ********' stupid. (Sorry, I apologize in advance for this rant.) It just doesn't make sense to me at all. I'm a little..ok, a lot riled up on this particular issue because of an event last night, which I shall explain now. I confided recently to one of my Gaia friends that I didn't want a significant other at the moment, but that I might not mind sort of an FWB thing. (I was not suggesting this to him with any intent that he be the one. I was just saying.) Well, he told me he'd be interested. Now don't rant at me, I know that would have been stupid, and I wasn't really intending on it, meeting someone off the 'net like that. But anyway..so he sends me another PM saying he's changed his mind, figures now he probably can't because he's "attached" (his words) to someone online. I'm like,"Okay fine." I find out minutes later whilst reading through posts in our guild that he's actually dating some chick in Louisiana. Then he sends me another PM saying it wouldn't be interfering, due to the long-distance, and I'm like,"Tcha! I don't think she would agree with that, buddy!" He was gonna cheat on her with me! That's just..awful.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:35 pm
I myself believe in personal, real-life meetings. The internet I consider to be a good tool to keep in touch with people, but not something with which you can really meet someone with. No matter what people say, I still believe that you can't really get a feel for a person online the way that you can in real life.  

GilAskan
Crew

Silenus Slade

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:58 pm
Whatever works as long as people play it smart. No meeting in dark alleys (could be problem?) or whatever. I know some people who have met in MMORPGs and have a decent relationship in and outside the game. Internet dating seems like something people 30+ years of age do though. Sure, I suck at relationships, but I haven't hit the point where I've said to myself "I'm not getting any younger, I need to try everything."
Plus my phone self is different from my "meeting in person" self. Those kinds of things could be confusing.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:19 pm
I think it's pointless personally.

How are you going to be able to truly trust that person.

I know that I couldn't  

mee_shee

DreamerSpirit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:20 pm
I for one would not want an internet relationship. To me, just knowing what thier presence feels like, being able to touch the warmth of thier flesh, to be able to nuzzle them tenderly, is absolutely vital in relationships. I would rather be single than go without such in a relationship.

However, I'm not against meeting people online. So long as you've tried your best to validate the persons identity, and you meet in an area with lots of other people around, then everything shuld be alright. I might actually be meeting a close online friend in the summer, since he's coming to my state to check out colleges. Though I've no interest in him as anything but a friend, I'm still dying to meet him in person, since he is a really cool guy. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:29 pm
I believe that it is a life style choice.

I dont think it's very practical, because of the fact that you never even meet them in person.

The normal person/human needs physical contact/love, not just emotional. Even if it's holding hands, humans need that. They need the physical touch. And with an internet relationship, you dont get that.

This is why i personaly suggest against it. biggrin

SaiBlackNight

NyteOwl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:50 pm
The only problem I have with internet dating is that you do not know if the person you like is really what they say they are. If you end up meeting it may turn out to be a dangerous situation. I know it could work sometimes but I will not take that chance.  
Extended Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff