Medieval
  Both, duh!
  Neither
  Gold!
View Results

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:56 pm
Personally, I prefer modern fantasy at the moment. I started out with medieval-type fantasy books, like Tamora Pierce, but got bored of those. Recently, the only medieval fantasy books I've read, not re-read, was the Song of Fire and Ice series. Other than that, I read pretty much specifically modern fantasy. I have no idea why, but it appeals to me.

So, here's my question to you: Which do you like better, modern or medieval fantasy books?  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:32 pm
I like both although I lean towards medival fantasy. The only fantasy I don;'t like much is scfi /fantasy blend.  

Lady_Altheia

tecche

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:46 pm
I prefer medieval fantasy, there are of course exceptions.....actually, the more I think about it, the more I realize I pretty much like both. But when I think of liking fantasy, I think mostly medieval settings.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:43 am
I'd say medeval because it seems like its more senseible but has more magic in it.  

Permanent_Insanity

Codebreaking Rogue

Powaqqatsi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:46 am
Long as it's a good story I like either smile  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:17 pm
tecche
I prefer medieval fantasy, there are of course exceptions.....actually, the more I think about it, the more I realize I pretty much like both. But when I think of liking fantasy, I think mostly medieval settings.

Yeah, same with me. It's a common cliche. But, hey, who needs electricity when you have magic? n.n Magic is infinitely better than electricity and cars. I'd take magic over modern-day conveniences any day. ...Okay, maybe not my computer. I like my computer. It's th eonly computer that actually behaves semi-well around me.  

NightIntent
Captain

doodlebuggey88

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:51 pm
I usually read medieval fantasy, but I do enjoy modern fantasy just as much. Mainly I just want the book to be good, as Powaqqatsi posted. I think both can make the worlds they're in seem completely alien and familiar at the same time if it's in the hands of a skilled writer.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:48 pm
I like Victorian-era fantasy, or Turn-of-the-Century and alternate history stuff, really. I guess you could call it "gaslight fantasy."

But I think modern catches my fancy of the two choices offered. I used to really like Charles deLint type stuff, where the fantastic strongly contrasted with the everyday.

I like timeslips and "fish out of earth" stories a lot, though, because they make a nicer bridge from my standpoint in modernity to a secondary world.

(It's a rare term, which my not have seen much circulation, but Fish Out of Earth stories are those tales where someone from the modern world, or a modern world, A World Very Much like Our Own, in fact, gets transported to a wholly fantastic Secondary World, like middle earth or Agharta. They're easiest to get into.)  

Harbone

I_LUV_FALL OUT BOY

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:26 pm
Powaqqatsi

I agree with you.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:27 am
sk8 boarder chic
Powaqqatsi

I agree with you.
me too  

CrownPrincessLaya

Heart Star

Sileny

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:31 pm
I really don't have a preference...  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:48 pm
I tend to prefer medieval fantasy, my philosophy is usually that I read to escape real modern life, why whould I want to read about it? That's not to say that I don't like modern fantasy, but most of my favorites are medieval or thereabouts. Usually if it's modern I like it to be post apocoliptic or have some access to a midieval reality.  

FaeDreamer

Dapper Gaian

1,650 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Window Shopper 100

Ashanti Codex

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:38 am
Actually, one of my favorite fantasy books is one of the "gaslight fantasy" books Harbone mentioned. Johnathan Strange and Mr. Norrell takes place around the early 19th century in an alternate universe. So, I suppose it counts more as modern fantasy, but it was very different than the urban fantasy that I the phrase "medieval fantasy" makes me think of. I don't think I have an overall favorite type. It just depends on how good the book is.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:44 pm
Yay! Another fellow Gaslight Raticionator! I should also point out that Howl's Moving Castle, at least as portrayed in the movie, is very "gaslight" (or steampunk, as it's sometimes labelled.)  

Harbone

Bookwyrme

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:16 pm
Harbone
Yay! Another fellow Gaslight Raticionator! I should also point out that Howl's Moving Castle, at least as portrayed in the movie, is very "gaslight" (or steampunk, as it's sometimes labelled.)

Ok, I really, really, really need to see the movie now!

The book isn't, particularly.

And if you haven't read Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell you certainly should, Harbone. And don't skip the footnotes!

I'm also very fond of Sorcery and Cecelia, but since it's also got ties to the Regency romance type of book, I am less certain that you'd like it.

Other than that--I'm with what others have said--if it is good I like it, whenever it is set.  
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff