Who likes Mercedes Lackey?
  I LOVE HEr!
  I like her
  She's okay
  Gold whore!
View Results

Lady_Altheia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:14 pm

I haven't seen a Mercedes Lackey thread yet. I know someone has to like this author. Which was your favorite book or series? I liked the Vanyel series for obvious reasons.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:20 pm

I've read a couple of her books. Wind of Fate or Change or something, whichever was the first in that series, some other book that I don't even remember the title or what it was about (even for me, that's pathetic), and The Black Swan, I think it was. I wasn't particularly impressed with any of them. Her style just doesn't click with me. I prefer other authors' styles over hers, just from personal preference. I've read worse books, but I've also rad better. As I've said before (and will say again), I'm really picky about books that I say I like.

NightIntent
Captain

Lady_Altheia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:45 pm

That's fine, it's all opinion.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:56 am

I love her ideas and fantasy world!
The heralds and companions are awesome!
but after rereading a few of her books, i have to say her writing style itself leaves a little to be desired

DirectedScion

tecche

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:58 pm

I like her 'Fairy Godmother' series she's starting. There are two books out so far, and there's suppose to be a third soon.

I started out reading the Owl trilogy in her Valdemar world. I liked it. I've also read a couple other of the Valdemar books. I've also read part of The Outstretched Shadow. It's one of those books, that I'm having problems getting through. Though it's not a bad storyline.

Anyway, I still really like the Fairy Godmother books the best.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:18 pm

What book is there after the Fiary Godmother? I thought it was just a stand alone? Isn't the Outstretched Shadow based on the Snow White fairy tale? I love her Valdemar series. I am very disappointed she isn't continuing it.

Lady_Altheia

Lady_Altheia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:36 pm

I just finished Fiddler's Fair. I really enjoyed it. I had it sitting around for awhile and i finally read it. I like the title story "Fiddler's Fair". I also enjoyed "Balance" and "Dragon's Teeth" Those stories go together.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:49 pm

One Good Knight is the next book in the Five Hundred Kingdoms series (I recently heard it referred to as that, and realized that's probably more appropriate.) Fortune's Fool is a third one that's suppose to come out next year.

tecche

Renegade Jarlaxle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:44 pm

i bought the first book to her herald mage series today...i hear mixed reviews on her work so i hope hope HOPE i will like this book.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:04 pm

She is one of my favorite authors. I have read The Lark and the Wren several times and am just starting the Robin and the Kestrel.

I also really love her elemental masters series (although I have a thing for retold fairytales) but they're also great with historical content and other such references. The Phoenix and the Ashes totally got me into the symbology of the tarot.

Moreover, I'm in love with the Fairy Godmother, I need to get One Good Knight, but was waiting for paperback because that's how I have the first one, and I like to be consistent in my collections.

I've only read the first three of the Herald books, but I love them too. Unfortunately what books I read depends on my whims and I don't always read a full series all at one time, lol.

Mercedes Lackey is one of those authors who pretty much has her own shelf because I really like her books.

FaeDreamer

Dapper Gaian

1,650 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Window Shopper 100

Lady_Altheia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:39 pm

Mercedes Lackey occupies two and a half of my shelves.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:51 am

im not really liking too much her herald mage book...the two just meet and BAM they love each other? like i said in some other guild it sounds like a bad BL manga...its too rushed!! gonk i really want to like this book but so far i dont!!!! crying

Renegade Jarlaxle

Lady_Altheia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:44 pm

What book is that?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:51 pm

Hello.

On the two characters meeting and falling so fast, which two characters are they? Mercedes Lackey does a big thing with soul mates and its often easy to tell which are going to end up being bonded couples.

I really like Lackeys work, I tend to read as much of it as possible. So far Ive read most or all of the Valdemar series, the retold fairy tales, and I've read the first two books of her latest trilogy, The Outstretched Shadow or the trilogy its apart of at least.

I cant entirely remember.

I do not consider her work to be something fantastically great, but I do suggest it to people because I find it to be an enjoyable read. Not every reading session has to be something spectacular.

Also, I havent been able to get ahold of the Fairy Grandmother series (?) and some of her other books, my library doesnt carry them.

Geek Mama

Lady_Altheia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:32 pm

You can get the Fairy Godmother at any barnes and nolbe or Borders or Walden books. Also, you can get them from the public library and they should be able to get it from another library if they don't have it.
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff