Welcome to Gaia! ::

★ Avatar Alley ★ - Dress Up & Ghosting!

Back to Guilds

A guild for dressing up, ghosting, themed avis, contests, and more! 

Tags: avatar, alley, ghosting, dress up, avis 

Reply 🌸 Avatar Alley | MAIN 🌸
Random Avatar Challenge--Split Complimentary--New Poll Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

To Scheme or Not to Scheme?
  Totally! All the schemes!
  Nope. No. Schemes are Tyranny
  Schemes are handy, but I like to break out of them on occasion
  Why is this a question? (Plat!)
View Results

ZeeZeeMonster
Crew

Backwoods Pirate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:39 pm
RANDOM AVATAR CHALLENGE!

Hello, Everyone! I'm excited to be starting as a crew member in Avatar Alley--playing around with avatars is one of my favorite things to do on Gaia, so I decided it would be cool to start Random Avatar Challenges.

How are Random Avatar Challenges different from the weekly contest? Well . . . there aren't any prizes. ninja But because there's no prize, anyone can submit a work in progress (or more than one work in progress) and ask for feedback and ideas. (examples: "I really like the background, but I think it might distract from my avatar too much." or "Does anyone know of any better shoes than these?" )

At the end of each challenge, each participant can pick the entry (if any) that they would like to be memorialized in the Random Avatar Challenge Gallery in the Closet Subforum (what, you didn't know about the closet subforum? Go check it out!)

Ground rules for all Challenges:

1) You can use your inventory or use the Avatar Builder. (These challenges are about practice and creativity, not the contents of your inventory, but if you feel more careful using your regular inventory, that's fine, since we're not doing a contest biggrin )

2) If you select an entry for inclusion in the Random Avatar Challenge gallery, please pick a specific pose from the Avatar Builder's slideshow that you want me to feature, if you used the Avatar Builder (I want to include as many people as possible)

3) When giving feedback to other people's entries, please keep things as factual as possible (i.e. "The background distracts from your avi" or "I'm not sure what, but there's something about the lower left hand corner that seems a bit off") Also please take into account what the person who posted the entry says about the feedback they'd like to receive, or the effect they were going for.

I've reserved the next couple posts for the current challenge plus any necessary expansion. I hope you all have fun flexing your avatar-making skills!  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:40 pm
Split Complimentary

[So, for those new to color theory, complimentary colors are those on the opposite sides of the color wheel:

User ImageUser Image

Complimentary color schemes are easy, and there are a lot of them on Gaia (Festive is an obvious example. Taffy is another, with both colors on the pastel/lighter side). But for those wishing for a bit of a break from that, or a way to expand beyond schemes, I present split complimentary:

User Image

Split complimentary means that you find an opposite color on the color wheel, but instead of using that color, you use the colors just next to it. In this case, instead of going with a straight green, you use a green blue and a yellow green.

Our latest challenge is to make an avatar that incorporates this method. Avatars don't have to exclusively be in a split color scheme (single color poses are hard to find), and you can have a background that has nothing to do with/sets off what you do, but the bulk of your avi's outfit should fit into the split complimentary idea.

(Tip that you can take or not as you please: it can be handy to pick one color that will be your 'main' color--as in, the bulk of your avi-space, and then a secondary, and have the third be your 'accent'--as in, you use it, but for small details)

My example for this challenge is under the spoiler:
User Image

ZeeZeeMonster
Crew

Backwoods Pirate

ZeeZeeMonster
Crew

Backwoods Pirate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:43 pm
Reserved  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:45 pm
Reserved  

ZeeZeeMonster
Crew

Backwoods Pirate

ZeeZeeMonster
Crew

Backwoods Pirate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:03 pm
First Challenge Open!  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:05 pm
What a neat initiative!

Would it be okay to use the inventory builder for personal preference reasons?  

Reiirin

Unholy Shapeshifter

ZeeZeeMonster
Crew

Backwoods Pirate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:45 am
Reiirin
What a neat initiative!

Do you mean avi builder and filter just for items in your inventory? I think that would be all right, I just didn't want to limit people  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:47 am
ZeeZeeMonster
Reiirin
What a neat initiative!

Do you mean avi builder and filter just for items in your inventory? I think that would be all right, I just didn't want to limit people

I mean using the regular screen for making avatars - avi builder can be quite overwhelming so I tend to be more comfy on the regular dressup screen. sweatdrop  

Reiirin

Unholy Shapeshifter

ZeeZeeMonster
Crew

Backwoods Pirate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:52 am
Reiirin
ZeeZeeMonster
Reiirin
What a neat initiative!

I mean using the regular screen for making avatars - avi builder can be quite overwhelming so I tend to be more comfy on the regular dressup screen. sweatdrop

Okay, that would be fine. Not like we're doing a contest, here smile . I'll go ahead and amend the rules.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:56 am
An attempt:
User Image
Critique: please none now, I'm exhausted  

Reiirin

Unholy Shapeshifter

ZeeZeeMonster
Crew

Backwoods Pirate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:02 am
Reiirin
An attempt:
User Image
Critique: please none now, I'm exhausted

That's fine. Doing this is kind of exhausting! I love the different silhouette that you got, with the head cut out and that looping fur scarf! I also like the pile of roses and the bits on the floor (petals?)

Well done!  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:24 am
ZeeZeeMonster

That's fine. Doing this is kind of exhausting! I love the different silhouette that you got, with the head cut out and that looping fur scarf! I also like the pile of roses and the bits on the floor (petals?)

Well done!

Thanks! It is! While at the same time also being an interesting challenge.

Might give it another shot later, we'll see.  

Reiirin

Unholy Shapeshifter

Aeternam

Captain

Fashionable Duck

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:32 am
So I started doing this with the hopes of doing a white silhouette on black.
It kinda evolved into my current. Not really on challenge but it did inspire me to create something outside of my norm.

User Image  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:35 am
Aeternam
It kinda evolved into my current. Not really on challenge but it did inspire me to create something outside of my norm.

User Image

I do like the white on black on light on dark! And I'm going to admit, this particular challenge is a tough one.  

ZeeZeeMonster
Crew

Backwoods Pirate

Reiirin

Unholy Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:06 am
Aeternam

User Image

Ohh this looks neat! Such a good use of the feathers!  
🌸 Avatar Alley | MAIN 🌸

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff