Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply ~.The Atheist Guild.~
The True Meaning of Atheism? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

An Atheist is someone who......?
  ...believes it absolutely impossible for there to be a god/gods/god-like beings.
  ...accepts the possibility, but thinks it so unlikely that the idea isn't worth entertaining.
  ...doesn't belive in a god/gods/god-like beings, but thinks that either side could be right.
View Results

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:22 pm
Okay, so just about any dictionary will give somewhere in its description of an Atheist as being a person who "disbelieves in the existance of a god"/gods/or god-like beings. So I hope we can all agree on that.

So the debate begins with the use of the word "Believe." What does it mean to believe. For me, I don't belive in Santa Clause, so without scientific evidance to show that Santa exists, I won't even entertain the idea. Therefore, I my humble opinion, an Atheist is someone who does not believe in god, nor will entertain the idea. This doesn't mean that an Atheist must think it impossible, just so unlikely that it isn't worth giving a second thought.

However, I am finding more and more Atheists adapting Agnostic ideology (an Agnostic simply believes it can't be known if a god/gods/or god-like beings exist). So my question is: If someone thinks that there is a fifty/fifty chance, or something similar, that there might be a god, isn't that more like a skeptical Agnostic than an Atheist?

I think, if you don't think that the odds of there being a god are so unlikely that it isn't worth mentioning, then you're not really an Atheist. That's just me. To disbelieve is to not believe. To accept a likelyhood is to be skeptical, not disbelieve.

So what do you guys think?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:39 pm
an agnostic says that it ant be proven either way and leaves it there... any true athiest, should apply to scientific sytlings... which means, beyond a reasonable doubt, but there can always be exceptions  

agrab0ekim

Cloud0.0Strife

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:37 am
I'm not against the fact that there is a god, but unless I see it then I won't believe it.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:09 pm
Yeah, that's fine, but what do you think are the criteria, and the limits for being an Atheist?

For example: I know this girl who doesn't believe in god/gods/etc, but she still believes in souls, ghosts, spirits (like earth spirits, or forest spirits), and magic. o_O? Personally, I don't really consider her an Atheist, but technically she is. So this brings to mind the issue of what is a technical Atheist and an "ideal" Atheist, but then "ideal" is objective, and can change from person to person.

So I kind of just want to know what you think are the standards of a good Atheist?

Dathu

Newbie Noob

agrab0ekim

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:35 pm
a god is something with a greater power than humanity, no matter what exactly that power is  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:41 pm
agrab0ekim
a god is something with a greater power than humanity, no matter what exactly that power is

Huh? Oh you mean the girl. Well, according to her (unusual) belief system, the "earth" spirits don't really have any special power. I began the arguement from the same idea that you're having. I saw spirits as gods too, but the way she saw them, they were more like souls. Trees have souls, rocks have souls, cheeseburgers have souls, and forrests have souls, but they can't really do anything other than tell you what they know. Weird huh? I still think souls are a bit religious, and so I still don't agree with it, but I don't think souls (human, or whatever) is a god. I mean, all they can do is talk. But I dunno, do you think a soul is something that has a greater power than humanity. But even then I've heard PLENTY of arguements (not debates. emotional arguements) about what "technically" is a god. Sometimes I wish someone would revamp the dictionary and put some real clarity to certain definitions. But anyway, I still think she may "technically" be an Atheist. But you know a good arguement that can prove otherwise, I'd love to hear it. I've been dying to tell her that she's just nuts and not an Atheist. blaugh  

Dathu

Newbie Noob

agrab0ekim

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:53 pm
have her prove beyond a resonable doubt that there are those spirits... when she cant, ask her if she still believes in them, and not just that they could be there, but that they are there... If she still does, then not an athiest  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:41 pm
agrab0ekim
have her prove beyond a resonable doubt that there are those spirits... when she cant, ask her if she still believes in them, and not just that they could be there, but that they are there... If she still does, then not an athiest
She thinks she's seen ghosts, and even claims to have heard spirits (crazy). I gave up on her a long time ago. Plus that show on the travel channel, the one where they go to haunted houses around the world, she believes is evidance that ghosts exist, and that they're the souls of the dead. rolleyes

I was just looking for something short and sweet, but like I said I've given up on her. I just hate thinking there are Atheists like her out there. It just makes it harder on me.

Dathu

Newbie Noob

agrab0ekim

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:03 pm
Dathu
agrab0ekim
She thinks she's seen ghosts, and even claims to have heard spirits (crazy). I gave up on her a long time ago. Plus that show on the travel channel, the one where they go to haunted houses around the world, she believes is evidance that ghosts exist, and that they're the souls of the dead. rolleyes

I was just looking for something short and sweet, but like I said I've given up on her. I just hate thinking there are Atheists like her out there. It just makes it harder on me.

if you actually feel that something is true without hard scientific evidence (you can entertain theories, just not blindly) then you are not an athiest  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:38 pm
agrab0ekim
Dathu
agrab0ekim

if you actually feel that something is true without hard scientific evidence (you can entertain theories, just not blindly) then you are not an athiest
That's what I think, but technically...  

Dathu

Newbie Noob

agrab0ekim

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:10 pm
ok... so you want technically... ok

from www.m-w.com

an athiest
Quote:
one who believes that there is no deity

a diety
Quote:
one exalted or revered as supremely good or powerful

ok... does she think these spirits are good or powerful...  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:06 pm
agrab0ekim

from www.m-w.com

an athiest
Quote:

a diety
Quote:

Nope. Just things. They can be good or evil, but not supremely, and they have no power.  

Dathu

Newbie Noob

agrab0ekim

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:27 pm
Dathu
agrab0ekim

from www.m-w.com

an athiest
Quote:

a diety
Quote:

Nope. Just things. They can be good or evil, but not supremely, and they have no power.

hmmm... she is not a scientific athiest... but an athiest none the less... damnit, that harms our type  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:29 pm
agrab0ekim
Dathu
agrab0ekim

from www.m-w.com

an athiest
Quote:

a diety
Quote:

hmmm... she is not a scientific athiest... but an athiest none the less... damnit, that harms our type
*Sigh.* I feel your pain my brother, I feel your pain.  

Dathu

Newbie Noob

agrab0ekim

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:26 am
see... i believe based on scientific and infered things.... grrrrrrr  
~.The Atheist Guild.~

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items