Submit

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:40 am
Hot off the presses, what a scoop, down with this sort of thing! As in, this was shoved into my unsuspecting face just now. sweatdrop

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

A new starter / themed boxed set for 40k including new two walkers! Necrons versus the Adeptus Mechanicus.

Contents are:
1x Necron Cryptek with Canoptek Cloak
5x Necron Lychguard
5x Necron Immortals
3x Necron Canoptek Wraiths
1x Adeptus Mechanicus Tech-Priest Dominus
10x Adeptus Mechanicus Skitarii Rangers
2x Imperial Knight Armiger Warglaives
40-page Forgebane scenario book
Fold-out Warhammer 40,000 Core Rules sheet

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:23 pm
I heard rumors about this a few weeks ago.
I do think i'll get it.
cat_3nodding  

Tiina Brown

Friendly Sentai

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:05 am
How many boxes will our resident Imperial nerdface be buying? rofl  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:12 pm
Vikki Stardust
Just one, the options on the Knights, as nice as they look, are very limited (just one of two carapace weapons) and appear to be Mechanicus aligned only. Worst case scenario I'll have to paint up one of the unpainted Knights as a Mechanicus aligned one to make it all work.

Plus I've already got enough unpainted Skitarii as is, not to mention necrons aren't really my cuppa. talk2hand  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:49 am
BrookM
Vikki Stardust
Just one, the options on the Knights, as nice as they look, are very limited (just one of two carapace weapons) and appear to be Mechanicus aligned only. Worst case scenario I'll have to paint up one of the unpainted Knights as a Mechanicus aligned one to make it all work.

Plus I've already got enough unpainted Skitarii as is, not to mention necrons aren't really my cuppa. talk2hand
You're no fun when you show restraint. sad  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:36 am
Vikki Stardust
BrookM
Vikki Stardust

You're no fun when you show restraint. sad
Being boring is better than broke and stupid. Or something.

But as is, limited options and from the look of it, Ad-Mech only for the time being. So chances are I'll my spare Knight as a House Raven, though minus the yellow banding up top, I still haven't mastered the "art" of painting that colour.

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:51 pm
And it's going up for pre-order next weekend.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/03/11/forgebane-pre-order-next-week/

Amazing timing from GW. Almost like they know when it's my cakeday and what I like throwing money at. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:40 am
If I were to start out properly with 8th edition, should I go with Dark Millennium or Forgebane?  

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:35 pm
Lady Blodwynn
If I were to start out properly with 8th edition, should I go with Dark Millennium or Forgebane?
https://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/viewtopic.php?t=25175937 ninja  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:15 am
Vikki Stardust
Lady Blodwynn
https://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/viewtopic.php?t=25175937 ninja
We've already played that one to death. rofl

It's decent but we want more! emotion_omnomnom

Though the announcement of a new Kill Team boxed game may be an even better option, especially as Necromunda, another game we are interested in, is a bit of a mess right now rulewise.  

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:30 am
Lady Blodwynn
Dark Millennium. You get more than enough minis for two armies (though they are a bit unbalanced) and a proper hardback rulebook. The only thing missing is tutorials and linked scenarios teaching you how to use your models sadly.

Forgebane is less a starter, more a campaign boxed set, though it comes with the core rules and three Echoes of War missions, which are linked scenarios retelling the story.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:32 am
Someone spoiled the points for the Armigers somewhere, 240pts for the melta variant, 227 for the heavy stubber. Overpriced, just like its bigger cousins. Pity, here's hoping that either the upcoming codex or CA2018 fixes this. Not calling it unplayable, but a drop in points would do the models a lot of good.

Still getting a box, because once you're locked into the cycle, there's no way out.  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:16 am
BrookM
Lady Blodwynn
Dark Millennium. You get more than enough minis for two armies (though they are a bit unbalanced) and a proper hardback rulebook. The only thing missing is tutorials and linked scenarios teaching you how to use your models sadly.

Forgebane is less a starter, more a campaign boxed set, though it comes with the core rules and three Echoes of War missions, which are linked scenarios retelling the story.
I'll keep that in mind, should Kill Team be disappointing, or at least six months out at this point. How unbalanced are the armies?

BrookM
Someone spoiled the points for the Armigers somewhere, 240pts for the melta variant, 227 for the heavy stubber. Overpriced, just like its bigger cousins. Pity, here's hoping that either the upcoming codex or CA2018 fixes this. Not calling it unplayable, but a drop in points would do the models a lot of good.

Still getting a box, because once you're locked into the cycle, there's no way out.
Isn't almost every vehicle overpriced and nerfed in this edition?

CA2018?  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:28 am
Lady Blodwynn
I'll keep that in mind, should Kill Team be disappointing, or at least six months out at this point. How unbalanced are the armies?
The Primaris Marines have strong ranged capabilities and good saves overall, as opposed to the Death Guard, who have two real ranged units and two units of fodder backed by characters. While all models do have a 5+ FNP that they can always take, it’s not exactly enough against say, a five man squad with long range plasma blasters, or a deep-striking squad of three juggernauts with heavy bolter pistols. Add in HQ’s that dish out rerolls on both shooting and stabbing and you’ve got a sturdy army that works well without a lot of hassle.

The Death Guard portion is strong, but it requires IMHO more cooperation between the units to get the most from everything. At least one HQ and two of their troop choices lack a ranged attack, one of their characters is mainly present to buff the movement speed of other units and their heavy hitting unit At least they’ve got a psyker to drop mortal wounds every turn and buff one unit, IIRC.

The starter would've benefitted a lot from having a dedicated tutorial or themed missions included explaining how to get the most out of the models included, like with First Strike.

Lady Blodwynn
Isn't almost every vehicle overpriced and nerfed in this edition?

CA2018?
Chapter Approved 2018, their new annual answer to keep every codex relevant. Any point fixes are printed there now once a year, along with any other big changes to the rules. So far though, just point fixes while any other real big issues are still being play tested right about now. Though I think it mostly concerns Smite spam and how to best deal with it. The rest of the book is given over to new missions, play styles and experimental rules, like build your own Land Raider and whatnot.

Monsters and vehicles are a bit of a mixed bag. Overall they have improved massively with the new edition, as vehicles are now as sturdy as monstrous creatures at the very least and they can overwatch as good as anything else out there now. Though it varies from case to case really, as some of the big winners of previous editions have either been hit hard with the nerf hammer or have been priced away making them less common than they were before, like the Land Raider and Chimera.

From my own experience, Imperial Knights are overpriced for what they can and can’t do right now, having almost doubled in cost. Being forced to pay a 100 pts for a rapid-fire battle cannon, once a good choice, but now due to how blasts are handled, severely hobbled in output, while not worthless, is a massive waste of points. But at least they can reliably deal with hordes now, making either melee option (fist or sword) rather useless unless you’re facing a monster, vehicle or HQ that needs to be pasted good. The Avenger build is the must-have right now, but due to needing to take a mandatory 17pt heavy flamer as well as the main gun..

On the other hand, the Leman Russ, especially after being buffed in the codex, is considered by many to be OP for what it does at the price asked for it. Some options are naff (Exterminator and Vanquisher cannon come to mind), while others are godlike, such as the Punisher and Executioner (this one is murder now that plasma overheat has been fixed), especially when paired with the Grinding Advance special rule. Firing twice if I remain stationary or only move at half max distance? Yes please! Even better is when you toss in regimental bonuses that can improve shot output or remove penalties for movement.

As expensive as a lot of vehicles are now, at least they can't be glanced to death or one-shotted as with the previous two editions. talk2hand  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

Tiina Brown

Friendly Sentai

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:03 pm
Personally, i don't like Nurgle's mix of gross and ... well, gross, so i'll pick Forgebane as my 8'th ed starter.
...If i ever make an army, i'll probably go for Imperial soup without most of the heaviest hitters, as i don't like them .... yes, it may be suicide, as most do soups just so they can field heavy hitters ... Anyway, the Ad Mech works perfect in that. I really like Power Armor Soup otherwise.
Or i might do Imperial/Cultist soup as an alternative, question is if i like the idea of Daemons or Genestealers most.

I'm slightly sad that the option of designing ones own Tyranid creatures seem to be gone, otherwise i would have finally tried to make a strain of human-sized synapse creatures .....
The idea being that they somehow were broken off from the hive mind and ... whatever, that's another story.  
General Discussion (Chatterbox)

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff