Reply ashdown
[PRP] Return To Normalcy...? (Temp/Kaleb) Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Grey Dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:26 pm
Everything felt far too normal. It should have felt like something monumental had changed, yet here he was, in the park with a book. Kaleb found himself glancing up from his reading every second paragraph or so, looking around and musing on how everything was just the same. There had been a huge magical upheaval, and people in town were going about their lives without realizing it, to them it had just been one day out of many, all with this same summer routine.

Kaleb sighed, trying to put his distractions aside and focus on the physiology textbook in his lap. Maybe his attention was messed up because he was tired, physically and emotionally drained by the past few days, maybe he was just too anxious to resume life where he left off so soon. Maybe he needed more time for his mind to process what had happened, this normalcy still felt like a strange dream state... Or maybe the experiences at the Court were the dream, and he hadn't quite woken up all the way yet.

The Semblance of Unity
Welp, temporary title I hope~ XD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:16 pm
Temperance had a short break, and while some of the nurses spent it in the cafeteria or even in various offices, she needed to get outside. She'd never been one for straight up camping out in nature, but she had to admit that, lately, the quietly trimmed beauty of a park was refreshing. Perhaps one day she'd feel the same about the woods. Maybe not. But she did, however, spy a familiar face. After a moment's hesitation, she wandered over and sat next to him, smoothing down the front of her scrubs.

"Hey," she said, glancing at his textbook. "Kaleb, right? Do you remember me - from, um, the casting?" The last bit was said kind of quietly, despite the fact that the park wasn't really full.

grey dragon

The Semblance of Unity

Predestined Victim

Grey Dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:09 pm
Kaleb blinked, and then a look of amazement came over his face. He definitely remembered her, it was impossible to forget the magic he had seen her perform.

"Y-yes!" he squeaked quickly. "Temperance, I remember!" Then his expression turned to worry, a little crease forming between his brows. It was definitely an expression Temperance would be more familiar with, considering the situations in which they had recently met. "Have you... been able to check on people? Is everyone okay after all that?"

The Semblance of Unity

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:25 am
"I haven't been able to check up on everyone, no, not yet. I believe the fetches are still holding Ezra - I kept getting shooed away. But Pride is okay." She smiled. Magical battery Kaleb remembered her; that was nice.

"And are you doing okay?"

grey dragon

The Semblance of Unity

Predestined Victim

Grey Dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:44 am
Kaleb smiled back like it was the best news he had heard all year. Perhaps in a way, it was. They had made a positive difference, and it gave him some hope even in the uncertainty of whether their remade charter would work out all right.

"I'm really glad to hear that, at least. What you did there, it was... really amazing, I've never felt anything like that before." For a second the freckled teen's eyes were wide with admiration, and then he meekly looked away. "I'm sorry I couldn't do more to help... I think... I'm still sorry."

The Semblance of Unity

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:28 pm
She smiled uncomfortably at the compliment. It may have looked grand, but it wasn't. It wasn't and it wasn't enough. Temperance could acknowledge that she was learning, inching closer every day, but... she shook her head.

"It's just healing. Anyone can learn it. And I saw the way America used your power to bolster hers. To offer up magical energy without any attachments must be a grand thing." She glanced up at him. "Kaleb, I wanted to ask you... I'm trying to set up a clinic in that alternate version of Ashdown. And... would you want to help out there?"

grey dragon

The Semblance of Unity

Predestined Victim

Grey Dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:47 pm
Kaleb was about to elaborate on his praise, but instead he blinked.

"Wait, like a medical clinic?" His emotions played out across his face in rapid succession as his mind processed the question, interest, amazement, doubt, and then finally something akin to disappointment.

"I don't... know if I can," he protested, now avoiding her gaze. "I'm not... I can't... I don't think I'm strong enough."

The Semblance of Unity

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:06 pm
"Yes. It'll be set up to help any other creatures. Of course, Georg will still continue on at the healer, but-" She cut herself off looked at Kaleb oddly. Frankly, she had no idea what he meant, but there was clearly an emotional journey going on here.

"Not strong enough? You definitely seemed strong enough the other day. You were quick-thinking and fast-acting." Temperance rubbed her wrist. "I thought you'd pick up the skills needed really fast."

grey dragon

The Semblance of Unity

Predestined Victim

Grey Dragon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:19 pm
Kaleb was faced with an uneasy mix of emotions. While he was relieved she hadn't actually taken note of his odd behaviour when they healed Pride, or how he had accidentally looked down at the blood on his clothes afterwards and passed out, he was also horrified at the realization that he would have to put words to his biggest source of shame.

"I'm not... very good with blood," he admitted, looking down to where his fingers toyed with the corners of his textbook. Perhaps for the average person it wasn't a huge deal, but he had so badly wanted to go into medicine, and he would have jumped at Temperance's offer if not for his limitations.

The Semblance of Unity

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:32 pm
Hm. Well that certainly put a damper on things, she thought. "Is it a fainting type or an uneasy type, Kaleb?" There was no judgement in her tone.

grey dragon

The Semblance of Unity

Predestined Victim

Grey Dragon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:29 am
"Definitely fainting," he replied, sounding thoroughly defeated. "Back then, I could only help America because... I kept my eyes closed, and even with that, afterwards..."

The Semblance of Unity

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:52 am
"Don't sound so defeated, Kaleb. It's okay. You did really, really well." She tapped her fingers along her thigh. "Have you tried applied tension? Since it's caused by either a drop or spike in your blood pressure..." Or maybe, she could see how to create some sort of charm for him. Or if she were touching him, then maybe....

grey dragon

The Semblance of Unity

Predestined Victim

Grey Dragon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:01 am
Kaleb nodded glumly. He still didn't feel too good about his performance the other day, even if Temperance was somewhat more optimistic. "I did, when I was younger... It must not have worked very well, or I probably would have kept it up."

"I wanted to be a surgeon when I was younger, but it's impossible." He attempted a little smile, but it was cracked and forced. "I'm too unreliable. For any of that sort of thing."

The Semblance of Unity

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:10 am
"It never hurts to try again." He just looked so sad about it all.

"We live in a world with magic. If that doesn't work - and you usually have to combine it with exposure therapy - then we could try to construct some sort of magic charm for you to wear." Her mind was already whirring with ideas. No one should have to give up a dream because of an involuntary reaction. "Do you want to try?"

grey dragon

The Semblance of Unity

Predestined Victim

Grey Dragon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:34 am
He should have been willing to jump on the offer of help, magical or otherwise, anything to heal the divide between his head and his heart that his unfortunate weakness had inflicted upon him. But something about abandoning his daily efforts of dissuasion scared him. Kaleb would have to let some hope back into his life if he were to pursue this course, along with the risk that failing a second time would break him completely.

He remained silent for far too long, and then forced himself to nod.

The Semblance of Unity

ashdown

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces