Submit

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:18 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Warhammer Fantasy got rebooted and it's a fresh start, rebuilding it from the ground up!

You can get the rules for free here: http://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Rulesheets/warhammer-aos-rules-en.pdf

You can get the compendiums of each and every Fantasy army for free here: http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/age-of-sigmar-compendiums

We've heard a lot of bad about this, but can you find anything good in it as well?

NOW, DISCUSS! emotion_omnomnom  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:56 pm
"OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! THE SKY IS FALLING! THE SKY IS FALLING!" At least this is the response the supposed players of fantasy are making. Maybe this will lure back the HUGE number of players who have quit over the years and run off some of the ******** who only care about another win instead of having a fun game.  

Sean King

Lonely Lunatic

13,975 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Ultimate Player 200

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:57 pm
It's hard to play a game like this overly competitive when they feigned to include things like point values for fair matchmaking and clear objectives other than "bash your opponent until you got more models left standing."

GW is committed tho..

They have removed the old space marine statue and the eagle, replacing them with age of Sigmar stuff. emotion_0A0  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:25 pm
GW put out an unofficial suggestion on how best balance the game:

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Hellraiser 500

Asmondai
Crew

Aged Gaian

3,625 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:58 pm
Well.... the game-play seem streamlined and fast,
most of the armour modifiers are tied to Rending +1, +2 mechanic
and stats are pretty standart all over the board (in a battlereport I saw,
majority that the players rolled 4+ rolls on average),
calvary have become pretty badass and some weapon-platform (cannons etc)
are powerful. surprised
(Battle report had High Elfs vs Dwarfs,
the organ-gun can shoot 4 barrels to fire and rolled D6 for a test.
if succeeded in dice roll, you thow a D6 to see how many bullets fly, PER BARRELS that was chosen. o.o
so if your lucky, 4x6=24 shots on a single unit. <.<"

So far, seems pretty promising.
We´ll have to see when the official rulebook pops-out.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:28 am
Asmondai
Wuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut~?! eek  

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Hellraiser 500

Tiina Brown

Friendly Sentai

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:31 am
I think this is a .... ruse? Is that the right word?

I mean, this is clearly deliberate, and from my impression, it is also clearly silly, and there do not seem to be any coherent information on what it is, and some even seem to have the impression that both Fantasy and 40K is dumped for the benefit of this seeming or actual hybrid/meltdown.

So, let's assume that they actually know what they are doing.
Why this?
It isn't like the GW we have come to know the latest decades.
But then, GW also has some new people in the top office, unless i'm misinformed.

People has been disappointed at GW the latest decade and more, and at least in rpgs there is a trend towards going back to the roots, and perhaps this has reached GW as well.

But then I perhaps am just too optimistic about the possibility of them going back to the silliness in their roots.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:01 am
GW has watched their player base for Fantasy shrink year after year. Main complaints it costs too much to start playing. To form a basic unit sometimes you have to buy as many as four boxes say of archers just to have a usable unit. Another complaint has been the growth of power competitive players, it just isn't fun to play any more. AoS nullifies both of these complaints nicely. Free rules and you can use any number of minis you want.  

Sean King

Lonely Lunatic

13,975 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Ultimate Player 200

Asmondai
Crew

Aged Gaian

3,625 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:19 am
Vikki Stardust
Asmondai
Wuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut~?! eek

Considering how unbalanced and broken the 4-page rules are,
it tells me that it´s suppose to be an demo-play pamphlet.
If it was an actually rule book, it would be the size of a codex at best.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:26 am
Asmondai
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but those four pages of rules are all you are going to get. When it was hinted at that they'd be going back to the basics, they were not messing around. The upcoming Age of Sigmar book is not the rulebook people make it out to be but rather a campaign book with themed battles, new warscrolls and massive helping of fluff on top.

You can at the very least expect eight more books in a similar vein to this one, as each book will over time expand the story of Age of Sigmar, unveil a new realm for players to fight in and introduce new armies / factions to the mix.

If you're looking for a competitive game that can be used in a tournament scene, look elsewhere, as the removal of both the point values and clearly defined roles within an army (Lord, Hero, Core etc.) leaves you with a free and open way of building an army, which can be good and bad. Now more than ever the game has become something of a social contract between two players. It always was in some way, but then at least we could determine the size of a game via a set amount of points. Now though, it is a wild guess as to what could be seen as fair and even.

It's really simply, you can always play a previous edition of Warhammer Fantasy, nobody is stopping you. Or, you could throw a bloody awful toddler tantrum, douse your army in flammable liquids and light it on fire, all the while recording yourself having a nice little rant about how awful things are now. Please don't burn your army. ninja

The rules right now are overly simply, nothing wrong with that. Some of the wording is perhaps a bit odd or will of course lead to trouble, but as long as that mythical super-power known as Common Sense is applied to this all, it should work out just fine. The rules are perfect for what they want you to do: mash models together, roll buckets of dice, have a nice fight, all with as little bloat or leafing through a book as possible.

Sure, there will be jerks who build lists made up of nothing but invisible Skinks that can hide the entire game, turning it into something you can't win, but screw those people. Just shake his hand, thank him for wasting your time and tell him that he's no longer welcome as an opponent.

Sean King
GW has watched their player base for Fantasy shrink year after year. Main complaints it costs too much to start playing. To form a basic unit sometimes you have to buy as many as four boxes say of archers just to have a usable unit. Another complaint has been the growth of power competitive players, it just isn't fun to play any more. AoS nullifies both of these complaints nicely. Free rules and you can use any number of minis you want.
Pretty much spot on. Though it's worth mentioning that the recent expansions have also not done the franchise any favours either.

Tiina Brown
I mean, this is clearly deliberate, and from my impression, it is also clearly silly, and there do not seem to be any coherent information on what it is, and some even seem to have the impression that both Fantasy and 40K is dumped for the benefit of this seeming or actual hybrid/meltdown.
This is a complete reboot of the fantasy franchise, all the way from the ground up. They had over the years written their selves into quite a few corners they had a hard time getting out of. Just look at how 40k is floundering with progress and the such. Fantasy had it even worse. So, the End Times, while a ballsy move, nicely led into this all: the death of the Old World and the birth of a new setting that isn't confined to a single world or continent.

I fear that this is also the result of the Chapterhouse lawsuit, forcing GW into establishing something more unique that they can wholly call their own without generic fantasy elements stuck in the mix.

However, 40k and Fantasy are still two separate entities.  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

Tiina Brown

Friendly Sentai

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:52 am
I'm intrigued, now.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:26 pm
I like these rules. emotion_c8  

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Hellraiser 500

Asmondai
Crew

Aged Gaian

3,625 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:04 pm
BrookM
Asmondai

Read it all and would make a joke about GW wasting money again....

But instead; CAT  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:52 am
Slaanesh?

Asmondai
Crew

Aged Gaian

3,625 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100