Hiddochi wolf
Crew

Sexy Nerd

14,825 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:43 pm
...On a dress for an event I have in February.
My sorority is doing this formal fundraising dinner for the American Heart Association, and we all wanted to wear red dresses at the event. So now I'm on the hunt for a red dress, and I can't seem to choose. emotion_donotwant

These are for sure going to be the shoes I'm getting, so I want something to coordinate well with them:
http://www.shiekhshoes.com/p-39176-pinup-couture-womens-cutiepie-12-dress-shoes-red.aspx

So here are some of the dresses I currently like (and some of the reasons I like/dislike them):

Dress 1 Pros: Simple but not plain, short enough to show off the shoes, not an awful price. Cons: Size not adjustable, no shoulder straps.

Dress 2 Pros: Short and flowy, adjustable sizing (corset style), nice and blingy. Cons: Kinda prom-ish, price a bit high for what I want to spend on this dress, no shoulder straps.

Dress 3 Pros: Very classy and elegant, would hide my flabby upper arms, could easily be repurposed for other events. Cons: Long and would hide the shoes, price is a little higher than I want but I'd still pay it.

Dress 4 Pros: Bow accent would match shoes, short and flowy, very vibrant red. Cons: Shape of the skirt might not look flattering on my figure, no shoulder straps.

Dress 5 Pros: SUPER RIDICULOUSLY CHEAP, bow accent, short, blingy accent, shoulder straps. Cons: Very body-tight and would require some shapewear, size not adjustable, would probably get a shawl to cover my upper arms.

HAAAAALLLPPP. Opinions greatly appreciated! Or hell, if you have another dress to suggest, that'd be cool too. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:02 pm
As of this moment, I'm kinda leaning toward #3, even though it's long. But I'm still not definite on that.  

Hiddochi wolf
Crew

Sexy Nerd

14,825 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400

Okami Ameras
Crew

Evolved Mystic

27,825 Points
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Advent Attendee 50
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:11 pm
I want number 3. O.O

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:20 pm
1.) Those shoes are adorable.

As for dress I like first. Simple, but the belted area gives it a bit of bling. You'll be able to see the shoes as well.

I like the cut and style of #2 but I don't like how blinged out the corset is. I like very slight bling. It's just a bit much for me.

#3 is very pretty but the length would cover the shoes, which you seem to want to show off.

I don't really like #4 or #5 at all. #4 just seems to be going all over the place and #5 looks almost like lingerie.

XD ended up critiquing them all. But yes my favorite is the first for what you are wanting (showing off the shoes and all of that) with #3 as a very close second (and only second because it would cover the shoes) smile  

Mama Ame
Vice Captain

Shy Conversationalist

Prof. Moonie

Crew

Rainbow Nerd

33,240 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:40 pm
Those are cute shoes. biggrin

In terms of dress...
#1 - As you said, it's simply designed, so it wouldn't be too distracting or too attention grabbing. The style suits the shoes quite nicely. Plus the light rhinestone decoration around the waist accents the dress nicely.
#2 - It's cute in terms of the cut but the crystal rhinestones on the bodice would be too distracting. Probably would be better suited for a prom-like event, not a fundraising dinner.
#3 - The dress is more elegant which would be perfect for a formal event like the fundraiser dinner you'll be attending. Plus with it being February when the event takes place, it might be nicer to have something longer to keep you warm, if weather happens to be a bit more chilly. And as you said, the dress could easily be worn for other events - whether it's formal/semi-formal events or for costume outfits. Though it would hide the shoes, if you were wanting to have them visible.
#4 - I'm not fond of this dress. The only thing it has going for it is that it has the bow that would match the bows on the shoes.
#5 - Although it does have a bow, the design on it doesn't match the plain red bow on the shoes. I feel that it portrays a slightly different aura than the shoes. Plus it doesn't really seem like the right dress to be wearing for a formal fundraiser dinner. Probably more of a "going out to the club" sort of thing... or something along those lines.

So, in the end, it looks like I would go with either #1 or #3.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:15 am
Out of all the links, I like three best. 3nodding

But what grabs me about the shoes (even though you won't be able to see it once you slip your feet in) is that mrrrow-worthy leopard print. No one said it had to be solid red, right?

Sooo...

Dress 6 -- This is not too long to show off the shoes and it has shoulder straps! (cuz it sounded to me like you wanted those) Good price too. smile

Dress 7 -- Definitely more on the expensive side, but if you like asymmetry, it's really nice.

Dress 8 -- A mesh of the first and second, amusingly enough.

Dress 9 -- And this is WAY outta price range, but it's still nice to look at, lol.  

Zphal
Captain

Shameless Humorist

24,750 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Guildmember 100

Okami Ameras
Crew

Evolved Mystic

27,825 Points
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Advent Attendee 50
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:55 am
Zphal

Dress 9 -- And this is WAY outta price range, but it's still nice to look at, lol.
~drools over that one~

If anyone can tell, I love long dresses.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:12 am
Hiddochi wolf

Dress 5 Pros: SUPER RIDICULOUSLY CHEAP, bow accent, short, blingy accent, shoulder straps. Cons: Very body-tight and would require some shapewear, size not adjustable, would probably get a shawl to cover my upper arms.

HAAAAALLLPPP. Opinions greatly appreciated! Or hell, if you have another dress to suggest, that'd be cool too. 3nodding

This one. This is the model I like the most.  

wolf_with_a_dragon

Fallen Avenger

8,250 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Hiddochi wolf
Crew

Sexy Nerd

14,825 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:44 pm
Zphal

But what grabs me about the shoes (even though you won't be able to see it once you slip your feet in) is that mrrrow-worthy leopard print. No one said it had to be solid red, right?

Sooo...

Dress 6 -- This is not too long to show off the shoes and it has shoulder straps! (cuz it sounded to me like you wanted those) Good price too. smile

Dress 7 -- Definitely more on the expensive side, but if you like asymmetry, it's really nice.

Ooh, 6 and 8 are fun! biggrin Unfortunately, I'm getting errors on both 7 and 9, so I can't view those...  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:27 pm
Yeah I'm also getting errors.  

Mama Ame
Vice Captain

Shy Conversationalist

Mama Ame
Vice Captain

Shy Conversationalist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:28 pm
Also the thing I've learned from formal dress shopping is I almost always pick the exact opposite style that I originally had in my head xd  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:01 pm
Zphal

Sooo...

#6 is gorgeous and does match the red and leopard print style of the shoes. Plus it's formal enough for the fundraising dinner but still casual enough that you won't feel out-of-place, if being in formal settings isn't your usual forte.

#7 seems a bit plain to me... but that might just be my taste. *shrugs*

#8 has its charms but the blue sparkles along the edge of the bodice seems out of place, especially when there's no blue elsewhere on the dress (or the shoes she would be wearing). Plus I think I liked the more lighter color theme in #6 than the darker theme with this dress.

#9 - Ooo la la! Very nice.  

Prof. Moonie

Crew

Rainbow Nerd

33,240 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50

Prof. Moonie

Crew

Rainbow Nerd

33,240 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:03 pm
Mama Ame
Also the thing I've learned from formal dress shopping is I almost always pick the exact opposite style that I originally had in my head xd

I was always quite particular on what sort of dress I wanted... which made it a bit complicated if my Mom came with me and tried to "help" find what I was looking for. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:46 am
Hiddochi wolf
Zphal

Sooo...

Ooh, 6 and 8 are fun! biggrin Unfortunately, I'm getting errors on both 7 and 9, so I can't view those...

I think their website was temporarily down. xd  

Zphal
Captain

Shameless Humorist

24,750 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Guildmember 100

Zphal
Captain

Shameless Humorist

24,750 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Guildmember 100
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:47 am
Oh, and Hiddo, whatever you pick, make sure to snap a picture or two to share with us in February! whee  
"COS" ^Can O Spam^

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff