Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Teaching question Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Would you charge a student?
  Yes
  No
  Yes, but something other than money (please comment to specify)
  Other (Please comment to specify)
View Results

tanwyn_llewellyn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:17 am
What is your personal philosophy on accepting payment for teaching? Do you accept payment for teaching?

I personally do not charge money for teaching. Students pay me by giving me time, effort and dedication.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:16 am
I would charge, but only to recover the costs incurred in teaching -- space, if necessary, and materials. Nothing exorbitant if it's spiritual teaching.

Now, if I'm teaching a skill, you bet your a** I'm charging, but still a reasonable amount. I'm a teacher by vocation, in fact -- it's how I make a living.  

ProfessorZed

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:32 pm
In the unlikely event that I took a student, I would probably expect some sort of recompence, though not necessarily monetary. However, that's a very large IF; I'm unlikely to do so.

When I do rune readings for people, there is usually an expectation of some sort of equal pay. For instance, I did an in depth reading for a friend and she responded by buying me dinner. This is a "balancing of the scales" if you will; aa conscious repayment for services which leave people as equals instead of one beholden to the other.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:16 pm
I mentor more than I teach, so I rarely have expenses other than time.

However, if people want to pay me for my time, I usually take things other than money. Just as my friend just did our dishes in exchange for a huge dinner we just randomly invited him to, that sort of thing.  

maenad nuri
Captain

TheDisreputableDog

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:28 pm
On the one hand I like to stay away from "And for a modest $39.99 all the Secrets of the Universe (tm) will be laid at your feet!!!", but on the other hand none of our teachers are paid or recognized enough. I do like the idea of exchange of services.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:10 am
People don't value teaching unless they have to pay for it -- one way or another.  

Dreamwhisper

11,125 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Window Shopper 100

crystal_raye

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:20 pm
Maybe for a cheap fee.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:24 pm
I would not charge money to teach Wicca, though I might accept free will donations offered. Anything else is fair game.  

Doctrix

Blessed Friend

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:30 pm
tanwyn_llewellyn
What is your personal philosophy on accepting payment for teaching? Do you accept payment for teaching?

I personally do not charge money for teaching. Students pay me by giving me time, effort and dedication.

Depends on the subject. Donations are all well and good, my Reiki Tradition is prohibited from charging money, but a gift is encouraged.

Bottom line, there is an exchange to be had, and money is a clear and understandable form of exchange.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:08 pm
I don't think you should charge. The most you should do is have the students supply their own tools. I know I don't have the money to buy my students candles, stones, runes, or what else is being studed that week. Besides, if they won't buy the tools, do they really want to learn?  

Jaded Cat of the World

Blazing Wildcat

bobz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:13 am
As a student I'd feel arkward and ill at ease if I had to give money, it's too impersonal. I'd far prefer to do oddjobs and give gifts. It doesn't have to be every week, but I would feel like I have to do something to "balance the scales" as Deoridhe so perfectly said it.

If I ever taught *coughsplutter, thinks about teaching and falls over laughing for now* I'd expect the same from a student. If they turned up with money I wouldn't accept more than a pittance for my time, but I'd make them work for what I'm teaching them.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:39 am
As a student,

I have no problem when someone is giving up their and time and making effort.

And if that someone has kids to support their time is very much precious so while doing odd jobs etc may be ok for some in this case i think money is very much appropriate.  

quantum_leaper

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:44 am
Since I'm nearing the point where I have to find employment, I'm in a quandry:

What makes teaching this sort of knowledge any different from college? I expect to pay my teachers and a variety of student fees per credit hour. Why is teaching in the realm of paganism any different?

Girls gotta pay the bills and eat, you know.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:12 pm
as i see it (not as a teacher, very much a student), there should be some reciprocity. the *ghosti relationship of hospitality; a gift for a gift.  

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100

PhantomPhoenix0

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:14 pm
Nuri
What makes teaching this sort of knowledge any different from college?

Maybe the amount of information you teach? Not just quantity, quality as well. If you teach someone a few quick spells, or give a few pointers, money might not be exactly fair. If you actually sit down and give up hours of your time each teaching session, well, then payment is completely acceptable.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff