We need to re-ignite the flame ~ Update 7/15 Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Last Trickster Prince

Feral Genius

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:37 am
So we have been around since the dawn of the Bootypocalypse. And in the that time we've mostly been a band of disgruntled users with few actions taken. In time, many of us have gone complacent or just left. I say we re-ignite the fire in our hearts! We need to remember why we're here and what we're doing. I want this thread to act as an idea and strategy thread.

First off, we need to up our member-base. When this place first came to fruition, we were able to obtain 1k users. Now it's been 8-9 months and that number has only gone up by 500. Usually, at busy times, there are about 20k users online. So we only make up 7.5% of the userbase (and I'm sure it's even lower since many of our members have left Gaia).
Whatever happened to the hangout thread?
Didn't we have one, once upon a time? I think it needs to rise from the dead. Only put the bare basics on it--let's keep our events in-guild. I think we could really get our base up, seeing as half the site is pissed now.

I've been doing some reading and something that keeps coming up is GOALS and STRATEGY.

What are the goals of this movement?
We all know the vague goals: Stop Pushing GC, Stop Releasing GG's, We Need More Gold Sinks, etc. But the underlying goal, I think, is to return Gaia to its former glory. Gaia is a community first, Business second. But upper-management has it backwards. I think we should create a list of things we want, in order of most important to least. Then we should create a strategy based around that.

1. Stop Releasing Gold Generators
  2. Create More Goldsinks
  3. Stop Pushing GC(or just limit it to 1-2 a day
  4. Less forum-based events
  5. Marketing is neglecting irl advertisement opportunities

*please tell me if you disagree with the order, or if you want to add something*

How do we make them listen?
In my reading, the importance of listening keeps coming up. If you want to someone to listen you, you need to listen to them, too. I suggest creating a CB thread where we should organize our thoughts on many different topics. Kind of like a "Reaction" thread. This way, Gaia knows what we like and don't like, why and so they know we do care about their side of the story. As someone said before, It is also important to praise Gaia for the good.

How are we supposed to reach our goals?
More events! I think it would be a good idea to organize them off Gaia so they don't have a chance to brace themselves. I suggest creating a guild tumblr. I know we have tinychat but we'd have to rely on lots of us being on it at the same. With tumblr, people can contribute to the conversation at any time of day. We could post articles from the magazine(only a select few) for the benefit of the tumblr community. You know they would eat that s**t up.
Suggestions from Alexius:

1. Reddit: Although other parts might appreciate our ramblings, I expect that /r/truegaming would be most receptive of our posts.
  2. Cracked: Luke McKinney, one of the site's established gaming writers, has submitted there articles about highly-priced virtual items and "d**k moves in online gaming". Maybe we can share him our experiences with Gaia and suggest that he writes about them.
  3. Urban Dictionary: What words could we define with Gaia-related definitions? The entry for hyperinflation, for example, lays wide open. We could create other entries for other words. However, before publishing, proposed entries would be reviewed by other editors (read: other users) either for rejection or approval. An entry I tried to make got rejected in minutes, so we need other users to approve entries we make as soon as we submit them for review.
  4. Uncyclopedia: Gaia Online's entry in this satirical wiki is currently a redirect to the page for Earth. The edit history seems to have salvageable content.
  5. Encyclopedia Dramatica: Like Uncyclopedia, but more offensive in tone (so I'm not linking to any part of it). Has dedicated entries for Gaia Online and the Site Feedback forum.
  6. KnowYourMeme: Gaia's entry in this site (not linking to it since it contains the real name of he-who-must-not-be-named, but you can Google it) contains an outdated section about the new management's actions. One of the editors of the entry is a user of Gaia who is aware of what's going on. Maybe we could ask him for an update. Or request editorship by ourselves (but remember to write other things about Gaia so that people would know what will be lost when Gaia goes down).
  7. Twitter: Not much is going on here. Can we decide about hashtags that we can use here when talking about Gaia?

Gaia's weaknesses?
I think it would be a good idea to identify and use Gaia's weaknesses.

• Personnel and resources already allocated for existing tasks
    will not be easily available for new needs.
  • Acute class differences.
  • The general public may over time become apathetic, skepti-
    cal, and even hostile to the regime.
  • Intellectuals may become restless

We could then create events based on these weaknesses.

*again, feel free to chew me out on this, or add some weaknesses*

So those are just a few ideas I came up with.
An excellent read
>>Pages 48 & Appendix One are very relevant to this post.

Event Ideas
Bump Strike -- Basically, we would create this thread in the CB protesting GC/GGs. We'd wear gold shop only items and encourage others to do the same.

Announcement Walkout -- We make a thread encouraging people to Walkout when they get 10 GC-related announcements.

Artist Walkout -- This will probably never happen but, what if we got the Art Shop forum to completely walkout? That would send a message to Gaia. lol

07/15
Marketplace Protest -- Shut down the marketplace for one week. Remove all items from your own shop, don't buy from others'. It would only work if LOTS of people participated.

Holiday Events -- Instead of participating in Gaia's events, we should make our own big events! Have everyone wearing gold shop avatars and such. We'd probably have to create an events committee to make it happen but I'm optimistic!
Halloween: Have a Zurg-centric event! My vague idea is that our economy is so messed up that when the Zurg hear of it, they travel to Gaia to try and help out. It could be a like Zurg&Gaians vs Flynn's Army type thing. Divide up participants by where their loyalties lie. We could use it as a goldsink, too! Each side will have an R:G team leader who they could donate to. For certain tiers, you could unlock different, weapons, abilities, whatever. Separately, it would cost a small amount to use basic attacks/whatever. Or maybe we could create a stamina system! Have users bump x amount of times to fill their stamina bars. Winning side's participants will win SOMETHING.

Christmas: The season of giving! Get a bunch of threads/guilds together to host a big Christmas giveaway/contest thread!

Marketplace Inflation Analysis:
Contribution by Alexius

THOUGHTS? IDEAS? Let's have a conversation! Take your passion out of the cupboard and dust it off. (:  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:01 pm
We do have a guild event coming up. But right now we are very short staffed. Our event coordinator/magazine runner has been MIA for about a month now. (Maybe longer) We have no official recruiter. So everything falls onto the active staff. And Each staff has there own Job in the guild not to mention outside the guild in real life.
Making a site feedback thread at this point in my Opinion would be pretty pointless. Because if it not what Gaia wants to hear or its not something praising them or granting them money they don't want to hear it and such.
Another thing numbers are nothing if they are not active. We could have ever person on Gaia in the guild but if they are not active or not up for the fight it wouldn't matter. Even when we had people joining left and right not everyone was active. (I was a mod back then as well and Even I was inactive and was demoted.) So some people joining are just numbers.Especially if they do nothing. In my opinion if you are joining but never post and never actually fight or anything you are just as useless as the people outside of the guild doing nothing.

With all that being Said I do agree we need the flame back. And the staff are trying to think of away.  

Izzy Derp
Crew

Smitten Fairy

33,800 Points
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Attending the Ball 25

Last Trickster Prince

Feral Genius

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:50 pm
Izzy Derp
We do have a guild event coming up. But right now we are very short staffed. Our event coordinator/magazine runner has been MIA for about a month now. (Maybe longer) We have no official recruiter. So everything falls onto the active staff. And Each staff has there own Job in the guild not to mention outside the guild in real life.
Making a site feedback thread at this point in my Opinion would be pretty pointless. Because if it not what Gaia wants to hear or its not something praising them or granting them money they don't want to hear it and such.
Another thing numbers are nothing if they are not active. We could have ever person on Gaia in the guild but if they are not active or not up for the fight it wouldn't matter. Even when we had people joining left and right not everyone was active. (I was a mod back then as well and Even I was inactive and was demoted.) So some people joining are just numbers.Especially if they do nothing. In my opinion if you are joining but never post and never actually fight or anything you are just as useless as the people outside of the guild doing nothing.

With all that being Said I do agree we need the flame back. And the staff are trying to think of away.
For recruiting, that's why I brought up the Hangout thread. Didn't we used to have one?

I agree with you about the numbers. But we still have to try, right? If people are too afraid to join the guild, maybe we can start a mailing list. We could use the mule and send out the latest R:G news to those sympathetic to our cause. Or we could create a separate mule, if you want to be more organized about it. That way we're not flooded with useless members but still get word around about our protests!

I didn't realize we had such staffing issues. O: Maybe you guys should do an announcement. See if you get any takers? I'd volunteer but my time is already spread pretty thin. OTL  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:00 pm
Last Trickster Prince
For recruiting, that's why I brought up the Hangout thread. Didn't we used to have one?

I agree with you about the numbers. But we still have to try, right? If people are too afraid to join the guild, maybe we can start a mailing list. We could use the mule and send out the latest R:G news to those sympathetic to our cause. Or we could create a separate mule, if you want to be more organized about it. That way we're not flooded with useless members but still get word around about our protests!

I didn't realize we had such staffing issues. O: Maybe you guys should do an announcement. See if you get any takers? I'd volunteer but my time is already spread pretty thin. OTL

I am not sure if there was one. That may have been during my inactive stage. But if there was it must have been lost long ago because I have never heard of it.
I know when I was on the mod team the first time,we were sending out random messages and invite but got told to stop because it was spam. I am guessing this would fall under that as well.
We did sent it out in the ATG and we got 3? One of them Darius Runan he is now a mod. As for the rest of that information its not place to say :/  

Izzy Derp
Crew

Smitten Fairy

33,800 Points
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Attending the Ball 25

Javier Cross

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:01 pm
Can we also add that even *before* The Bootypocalypse, that almost nobody could debate their way out of a *Paper Bag* when Booty Grabbing was a Thing, by chance?
I grant you there will always be idiots in some place or another, but that depletion was irritating to say the least. stressed

This depletion of willing Role-players or artists makes matters even worse!  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:43 am
I agree with the goals and the weaknesses but-

Izzy Derp
numbers are nothing if they are not active. We could have ever person on Gaia in the guild but if they are not active or not up for the fight it wouldn't matter. ...some people joining are just numbers.Especially if they do nothing. In my opinion if you are joining but never post and never actually fight or anything you are just as useless as the people outside of the guild doing nothing.

^This. There are so many lurking, apathetic, or inactive members in this guild (I'm a lurker too, sorry sweatdrop ). Like, despite having 15,000+ members, our change.org petitions each have less than 200 signs. emotion_facepalm Our last ATG only had about 30 individual posters. We're not united and that makes us kinda weak.

I think before achieving anything we need a core group of ever-defiant schemers to continue encouraging sympathy for our cause in and out of this guild. It doesn't have to be the guild staff, because they seem busy. It doesn't have to be big, just dedicated and maybe consistent. We also need a way to slide anger into the feelings of depression and indifference of other users, so we could up our numbers for real. Then, perhaps, we'd have a sturdier base for a revolution. Or at least I think it would help.

I was skimming through the document but lol symbolic public act #30 though.  

Punktz

Shirtless Spirit

12,400 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Timid 100
  • Brandisher 100

Izzy Derp
Crew

Smitten Fairy

33,800 Points
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Attending the Ball 25
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:01 am
Punktz
^This. There are so many lurking, apathetic, or inactive members in this guild (I'm a lurker too, sorry sweatdrop ). Like, despite having 15,000+ members, our change.org petitions each have less than 200 signs. emotion_facepalm Our last ATG only had about 30 individual posters. We're not united and that makes us kinda weak.

I think before achieving anything we need a core group of ever-defiant schemers to continue encouraging sympathy for our cause in and out of this guild. It doesn't have to be the guild staff, because they seem busy. It doesn't have to be big, just dedicated and maybe consistent. We also need a way to slide anger into the feelings of depression and indifference of other users, so we could up our numbers for real. Then, perhaps, we'd have a sturdier base for a revolution. Or at least I think it would help.

At least you post. So many join and never look at the guild again. And that kinda what gets me bummed. Lurking is one thing if you try to post here and there. But never actually posing and being active is another.
I agree with you. And that is a problem we (the staff) are having. We are out of ideas. This guild is almost a year old. And most of our ideas have been shot down by A) the users because it didn't suit their wants or it didn't convenient them for whatever reason things like that or B) Gaia itself found a way to step in and block our way.
Example when we had events often people complained. Now that we stopped people complain. And then you get people who do absolutely nothing but enter the guild and expect the staff to come up with all the ideas than b***h (excuse my word) for us not having any. Than rage quit because "we don't t do anything" Not to mention a lot of people are giving up the fight. There a lot of people who just flat out quite Gaia.
Us (the crew) talk about ways of getting more organized but with lack of ideas and active members both crew and regular guilders we can't really do much. Hands are tied here. The one major thing we had going for us which was the magazine ended when the person in charge decided to go MIA.
(Please don't think I am snapping at you in way or anything just saying I agree and giving a more in depth look into the issue)  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:40 am
Izzy Derp
At least you post. So many join and never look at the guild again. And that kinda what gets me bummed. Lurking is one thing if you try to post here and there. But never actually posing and being active is another.
I agree with you. And that is a problem we (the staff) are having. We are out of ideas. This guild is almost a year old. And most of our ideas have been shot down by A) the users because it didn't suit their wants or it didn't convenient them for whatever reason things like that or B) Gaia itself found a way to step in and block our way.
Example when we had events often people complained. Now that we stopped people complain. And then you get people who do absolutely nothing but enter the guild and expect the staff to come up with all the ideas than b***h (excuse my word) for us not having any. Than rage quit because "we don't t do anything" Not to mention a lot of people are giving up the fight. There a lot of people who just flat out quite Gaia.
Us (the crew) talk about ways of getting more organized but with lack of ideas and active members both crew and regular guilders we can't really do much. Hands are tied here. The one major thing we had going for us which was the magazine ended when the person in charge decided to go MIA.
(Please don't think I am snapping at you in way or anything just saying I agree and giving a more in depth look into the issue)

I agree completely. I find it troubling that our site feedback and ideas forum has more angry threads than idea threads. I really hope those kind of members aren't getting to you guys too much. sad But look I found this gold quote from an old post that perfectly embodies what I feel about this guild.

The Deaf-Nex
I've been scouring through the topics in this guild and found that a lot of you are sharing in the negative nature that the website is throwing at you. In order to be part of a true "revolution", you should all be spreading positive feelings of unwavering energy!

Show Gaia you TRULY care by expressing your love for it, not disdain!

Yes, times are tough, things are changing and we don't know where we'll be in the future, but we should focus on supporting one another rather than encourage negative feelings! You're only allowing yourself to give up and that's not what we're here for!

Punktz

Shirtless Spirit

12,400 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Timid 100
  • Brandisher 100

Last Trickster Prince

Feral Genius

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:40 am
Izzy Derp
I am not sure if there was one. That may have been during my inactive stage. But if there was it must have been lost long ago because I have never heard of it.
I know when I was on the mod team the first time,we were sending out random messages and invite but got told to stop because it was spam. I am guessing this would fall under that as well.
We did sent it out in the ATG and we got 3? One of them Darius Runan he is now a mod. As for the rest of that information its not place to say :/
Okay then. What do you think about adding a Hangout thread? I wouldn't mind modding it. There are plenty of hangout threads in the CB! And they're not considered spam. We could hold some page contests to keep it going along.
I don't remember reading it. O: Also, I don't usually attend those things due to work. OTL  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:45 am
» click this
all the jolene rene lovers will come back if you advertise this

btw if you think i'm a rich prat - not saying you do - i do donate to noobs so that inflation decreases.

» WE NEED TO HOLD A BOYCOTT BECAUSE THEY BANNED HER ORIGINAL ACCOUNT
her new one is jobeans
everyone boycott gaia

Last Trickster Prince
So we have been around since the dawn of the Bootypocalypse. And in the that time we've mostly been a band of disgruntled users with few actions taken. In time, many of us have gone complacent or just left. I say we re-ignite the fire in our hearts! We need to remember why we're here and what we're doing. I want this thread to act as an idea and strategy thread.

First off, we need to up our member-base. When this place first came to fruition, we were able to obtain 1k users. Now it's been 8-9 months and that number has only gone up by 500. Usually, at busy times, there are about 20k users online. So we only make up 7.5% of the userbase (and I'm sure it's even lower since many of our members have left Gaia).
Whatever happened to the hangout thread?
Didn't we have one, once upon a time? I think it needs to rise from the dead. Only put the bare basics on it--let's keep our events in-guild. I think we could really get our base up, seeing as half the site is pissed now.

I've been doing some reading and something that keeps coming up is GOALS and STRATEGY.

What are the goals of this movement?
We all know the vague goals: Stop Pushing GC, Stop Releasing GG's, We Need More Gold Sinks, etc. But the underlying goal, I think, is to return Gaia to its former glory. Gaia is a community first, Business second. But upper-management has it backwards. I think we should create a list of things we want, in order of most important to least. Then we should create a strategy based around that.

1. Stop Releasing Gold Generators
  2. Create More Goldsinks
  3. Stop Pushing GC(or just limit it to 1-2 a day
  4. Less forum-based events

*please tell me if you disagree with the order, or if you want to add something*

How do we make them listen?
In my reading, the importance of listening keeps coming up. If you want to someone to listen you, you need to listen to them, too. I suggest creating a SF thread where we should organize our thoughts on many different topics. This way, Gaia knows what we like and don't like, why and so they know we do care about their side of the story. As someone said before, It is also important to praise Gaia for the good.

How are we supposed to reach our goals?
More events! I think it would be a good idea to organize them off Gaia so they don't have a chance to brace themselves. I suggest creating a guild tumblr. I know we have tinychat but we'd have to rely on lots of us being on it at the same. With tumblr, people can contribute to the conversation at any time of day. We could post articles from the magazine(only a select few) for the benefit of the tumblr community. You know they would eat that s**t up.

Gaia's weaknesses?
I think it would be a good idea to identify and use Gaia's weaknesses.

• Personnel and resources already allocated for existing tasks
    will not be easily available for new needs.
  • Acute class differences.
  • The general public may over time become apathetic, skepti-
    cal, and even hostile to the regime.
  • Intellectuals may become restless

We could then create events based on these weaknesses.

*again, feel free to chew me out on this, or add some weaknesses*

So those are just a few ideas I came up with.
An excellent read
>>Pages 48 & Appendix One are very relevant to this post.

Event Ideas
Bump Strike -- Basically, we would create this thread in the CB protesting GC/GGs. We'd wear gold shop only items and encourage others to do the same.

Announcement Walkout -- We make a thread encouraging people to Walkout when they get 10 GC-related announcements.

Artist Walkout -- This will probably never happen but, what if we got the Art Shop forum to completely walkout? That would send a message to Gaia. lol

THOUGHTS? IDEAS? Let's have a conversation! Take your passion out of the cupboard and dust it off. (:

absinthie

Prodigal Muse

Last Trickster Prince

Feral Genius

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:47 am
Punktz

Izzy Derp
numbers are nothing if they are not active. We could have ever person on Gaia in the guild but if they are not active or not up for the fight it wouldn't matter. ...some people joining are just numbers.Especially if they do nothing. In my opinion if you are joining but never post and never actually fight or anything you are just as useless as the people outside of the guild doing nothing.

This is why I suggested the Hangout thread! It's non-committal and it's easy enough to find out when we're going to do events.

lololol. or how about #22.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:52 am
Heiyan
» click this

btw if you think i'm a rich prat - not saying you do - i do donate to noobs so that inflation decreases.

her new one is jobeans
everyone boycott gaia

I really have no idea what you're going on about. Who is this Jolene Rene and why do I care?  

Last Trickster Prince

Feral Genius

Punktz

Shirtless Spirit

12,400 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Timid 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:04 am
Last Trickster Prince
This is why I suggested the Hangout thread! It's non-committal and it's easy enough to find out when we're going to do events.

lololol. or how about #22.

Sounds good then, as long as no one posts anything to get the thread locked.

Nah, that kind of stuff's for Tentacl. Gaians have class. :p  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:05 am
Last Trickster Prince
Heiyan
» click this

her new one is jobeans
everyone boycott gaia

I really have no idea what you're going on about. Who is this Jolene Rene and why do I care?

Are you saying my idea is stupid?
I'm trying to help you lure the members back you know.
Also, how do you not know about the new apprentices in La Victorie and Rococo?
(Posted by mobile)

I'm tired so I'm sorry if I'm irritable. I need sleep.
Also, my phone is being a butt. It keeps going into copy paste mode when I'm typing.
I'll elaborate on my probably silly idea when my thoughts are more coherent.  

absinthie

Prodigal Muse

Last Trickster Prince

Feral Genius

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:13 am
Heiyan
Are you saying my idea is stupid?
I'm trying to help you lure the members back you know.
(Posted by mobile)

I'm tired so I'm sorry if I'm irritable. I need sleep.
I'm saying I really don't know what you are talking about. I don't understand how this person has any special significance. People get banned wrongly all the time. I don't see how boycotting a specific case is helping our cause--especially when she was banned for something that is complete unrelated to GC/GG abuse.

EDIT:// Why should I show sympathy to GC shop apprentices?  
📢Taking Action! - Petitions

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff