Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Static Impulse

Trash Squad

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:45 pm
User Image

Name: Chirop Petron

The entirety Chirop's name is based off of the order of Chiroptera which is a term used to classify all families of bats. Chiroptera is derived from the Greek χείρ - cheir which translated into English means hand and πτερόν - pteron meaning wing. Chirop may also have some relation to the way she chirps to mimic the sound her bat like lusus makes.

Various pronunciation:

Chee-rope Pet-ron
Chi (as in chiropracter)-rope Pet-ron

Blood colour: Green Blood #008060

Symbol: Chirop bears a sideways number eight symbol otherwise known as the infinite sign as her genetic line's sigil.

Quirks:

Chirop has a very thick quirk which affects how she speaks. Mispronouncing the Th sound with Z's, her W's with Vw's, and even struggles to vocalize her H'uh sounds.

"It is a pleasure to meet vwiz you, my name is Chirop Petron and I 'ope zat vwe can get along just fine. Now zat I zink of it I can't remember ze last time I stopped and bozered to introduce myself. Vw'ats your name?"

Appearance:

(Young Chirop doesn't have burns, red blind eyes, or as long as hair. Her horns are also significantly shorter and don't reach around her face yet.)

This youthful troll appears to be more trouble than she's worth starting with her devious expression highlighted by her keen gaze, bright alert eyes, and toothy V shape grin. In fact looking at Chirop head to toe it's easy to notice just how scrappy this dirt caked lass must be given her patchy torn clothes, scrapes and bruises. She's angular and bony, but despite the leanness there is a hint of wiry muscles beginning to form. Lastly Chirop's hair is kept somewhat short in a bob just touching her shoulders in an inward curl. It's a bit messy from the mucking about, but at least her bangs are curled back behind her ears.

Her horns are ram like in shape and are just beginning to curl around her ears and slightly pointing upwards.

Bio:

At a very young age Chirop had grown quite fond of reading. She particularly enjoyed play scripts which would allow her to set the stage to physically act out the events in her favorite stories as seen in the authors vision for their play. However the immersion led by the stories of grandeur and excitement had left her yearning for an adventure in her own life. This ultimately led her decision to seek out her own tales of adventure that she would later write into future novels she always imagined she would write. Brimming with excitement Chirop ventures forth sided by her lusus. Together they scavenge as they travel in search for something exciting to write about.

Personality:

> Adventurous
> Curious
> Excitable
> Naive
> Playful
> Willful

> F.L.A.R.P.ing, acting, and pretending to an extreme
> Books, Tombs, scripts, scrolls, and reading them
> Scavenging for food
> Collecting things from her adventures
> Playing and riding on her lusus

Dislikes:

> Real violence
> Situations that call for her to be serious and out of character
> Lectures and being told what to do

Strengths:

Listener: Chirop's ears have always been sensitive to sound. Often she'll listen to the noises in the forest trying to make out what they're from. So far she's been able to identify several feathered lusi just from chirps alone. She's becoming on fine nature scout.

Scavenger: Growing up in her lusus's care Chirop while trailing along side them has has learned to scavenge for food just like how her lusus does it for themselves. It wasn't easy at first learning to identify which plants were safe to eat, and there were a few close calls and bad choices, but as of right now Chirop has developed some wilderness survival skills. On occasion because of this learned skill her keen eyes sometimes also happens to find other useful objects either lost or discarded. At home she has quite the collection of lusi horns, quills, and feathers along with a few bobbled oddities.

Resourceful:

Knowledge from both works of fiction and non fiction stay within Chirop's mind like a fly to sticky paper. It may not always be of use or relevant in conversation, but on occasion being able to retain information has helped her solve problems.

Flaws:

Naive: Chirop follows after legends of great trolls and the promise of a grand adventure without having a real sense of the dangers her world possesses. She's spent too much time in the library reading anything she could get her hands on to the point she has a hard time telling a tall tale from a work of non fiction. Maybe it's because she wants to believe that these amazing things can happen, or that her idols really are as great as she imagines, but authors have a way of writing their characters either from real trolls and events or not in a way that portrays them better than what they are or were.

Headstrong: Willful is a kind way of putting it, but sugarcoating an attribute doesn't make it any less of a double edge sword. Sometimes this girl is just too stubborn for her own good.

Imaginative: Playing make belief is some of the best fun many young trolls can recall, but when it's time to stop either because it's time out, it's gone too far, or the situation gets serious this troll as trouble calling quits.

Weapon: Chirop uses a form of glovekind, otherwise known as gauntlets, with grappling spike capabilities. These grappling gauntlets are loaded with a wound steal wire attached to a spike which is projected at high speeds from the wrist. These cables can retract, but the spikes themselves cannot become unhinged as easily to help propel herself forward to an object. As not to dislocate or harm her arm while swinging on the wire from her wrist they come with arm and torso straps that she wears under her clothes to help properly support the force on her arms. These tools are more so used to help get around her environment with ease and keep up with her lusus rather than to actually fight with someone, but it can be a dangerous multipurpose tool if misused.

Power: Chirop is not a particularly physically strong troll for her blood caste and she also has no psiionic abilities to speak of. In a head on fight she wouldn't do very well especially as a young troll who doesn't enjoy serious conflict. What she does have to her advantage are her keen senses and wit that ultimate make her a better scout. If she were in a contest for fun like a F.L.A.R.P. game which was less serious she would instead use her wits to help win because physical strength isn't her strong suit. These skills are thanks to her lusus's grooming of her natural born talents which happen to fall in line with the lusus's own natural habits.

(If I'm able to get a spot as a jade blood I would be really appreciative if she had the ability to become a day walker.)

Home: Chirop's hive has been built inside a cave with an opening that makes it look somewhat like a bunker. Inside the walls are largely lined with shelves full of books and any free space asides from that has been made into reading nooks full of blankets and pillows, save for one large trunk containing multiple FLARP costumes. In the food preparation area there are hanging herbs and spices, jars full of miscellaneous powders, liquids,crushed and whole what nots. Whatever they may be you can be sure that Chirop has imagined multiple uses for them though never really gotten around to using it all.

Lusus:

User Image
Chirop's lusus is a large eyeless fyxen like Vulpeptera. The structure of which is not too dissimilar from an enlarged fox with a stubby little tail and the forearms that of a bat. It's head however bears large cone like ears which twitch and turn at the slightest sound, dents in the face that would be sockets if he had eyes, and an elongated snout much like that of a canine.

Vulpeptera are one of the most playful fauna on Alternia and are known for being excessively chatty and fleet foot. With lack of eyes they use echolocation to move around and interact with the world. This would have made them adapt hunters had their species not be made of entirely scavengers and herbivores. In a month span one adult Vulpeptera will have eaten it's entire body-weight in fruit, bugs, fish, or meat. Because of their echolocation their vocal range is incredibly vast, but often will communicate with high pitch yips and yelps. Wild Vulpeptera in northern regions are known to be solitary, but no genera or subgroup will gather into Skulks no larger than twelve at a time outside of mating season or raising young.

Hurkule like many other Vulpeptera is friendly and sociable to other trolls, their lusi, and fauna, but knows the difference when to approach another troll's and their lusus's territory and when not to. Hurk is not very territorial himself and when foraging for food he will travel large distances at a time from home to gather it.

Chirop's relationship with her caretaker is a strong and positive one filled with trust and respect. As of right now he makes up her one and only friend as well as mentor. Chirop enjoys learning his lessons of survival skills such things as how to listen to the forest to know when it's safe to venture, where to look when scavenging certain things, what food should smell and look like before tasting, ext. Apart from those few lessons he's a good caretaker and finds himself busy trying to keep her out of trouble while on adventures.

Chirop enjoys reading out loud to him, dressing him up to partake in LARPing, and playing games of Troll Hunt similar to human equivalent of Marco Polo.

User Image
User Image (The tail mutation and amputation is from a different timeline.)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:23 am
i realize this is all super u/c so i wont comment on the formatting but be carrefull with making reclusive homebody trolls!! if they never go out, how are they going to interact with the other trolls, to get the rp they need to grow?? also when there are events, it sucks having to struggle to come up with reasons why they'd join in, or decide to avoid it solely because you can't. i've mentioned this a few times before, mostly from trolls transitioning over from a pesterchum environment where it's much easier to socialize while remaining in your house. biggrin

if you feel you can have her drag herself out of her house for stuff without feeling like you're compromising her ofc, that's totally fine.  

amicableAggressor
Vice Captain

Versatile Vermin

Static Impulse

Trash Squad

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:31 pm
amicableAggressor
i realize this is all super u/c so i wont comment on the formatting but be carrefull with making reclusive homebody trolls!! if they never go out, how are they going to interact with the other trolls, to get the rp they need to grow?? also when there are events, it sucks having to struggle to come up with reasons why they'd join in, or decide to avoid it solely because you can't. i've mentioned this a few times before, mostly from trolls transitioning over from a pesterchum environment where it's much easier to socialize while remaining in your house.

if you feel you can have her drag herself out of her house for stuff without feeling like you're compromising her ofc, that's totally fine.

Thank you so much for the advice! I had a similar problem as to what you described with my first fantroll when I began playing her on pesterchum. Trust me it's not so easy to come up with reasons to get involved with others when you have a reclusive character even if you are roleplaying on pesterchum. But I have since learned my lesson, not to mention Chirop is far too curious of a troll to be a permanent hermit. While she may seem introverted (and certainly is despite /acting/ otherwise) she's gotten to the stage where she realizes that there are different mediums of knowledge and books cannot sedate the need to source them out.

As well she is an avid FLARPer and takes it to the extreme of pretending to be one of her personas while preforming day to day activities, especially interactions with others. She's still just but a child and has a limited perception as to why she acts this way, but she knows that it's fun and it makes her happy and at this time that's all she really needs to know to continue acting this way.

Things are bound to change as I begin to roleplay her and once I have a better comprehension of who she is, and I have a strong feeling she will end up being someone completely different from what I've roleplayed before.

Again thank you and if there is any other constructive criticism you think of in regards to my characters please tell me so because I enjoy feedback.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:43 pm
i'll be glad to, but i'll wait until you've got all the sections done, in case i ask about something that just isn't up yet smile  

amicableAggressor
Vice Captain

Versatile Vermin

Static Impulse

Trash Squad

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:00 am
amicableAggressor

I'm a bit unsure what would qualify as a power. Chirop has increasingly better hearing in par with her decreasing eyesight which will render her blind by teenagehood. Much like how Terezi learned to view her new world through sense of smell and taste, Chirop will gradually learn how to use her sensitive hearing as a form of echo location. Of course this has limitations, but in places of high noise and or echo friendly she would be able to walk around with little to no difficultly.

However this comes into question because within a relative range she can pick up on small sounds such as whispering like just about any blind person. So her being a troll it shouldn't be too much of a leap to say that she can use echo location especially sense they have heightened sense in general as a species, and she has a lusus who can gradually teach her. Not to mention her curling horns help pick up sound.

I understand there is definitely going to be restrictions as the threat of meta gaming may be an issue peeking on your mind right about now, but I've roleplayed her like this before and during that time have respected the boundaries of other's. She can't hear through walls unless she has her ear pressed up to the wall which there is still a great deal of muffling, and I take into account the area which she's is as it can affect how far noise can travel.

If this is acceptable would this be placed under powers or would it simply be under strengths?  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:01 am
Static Impulse
amicableAggressor

I'm a bit unsure what would qualify as a power. Chirop has increasingly better hearing in par with her decreasing eyesight which will render her blind by teenagehood. Much like how Terezi learned to view her new world through sense of smell and taste, Chirop will gradually learn how to use her sensitive hearing as a form of echo location. Of course this has limitations, but in places of high noise and or echo friendly she would be able to walk around with little to no difficultly.

However this comes into question because within a relative range she can pick up on small sounds such as whispering like just about any blind person. So her being a troll it shouldn't be too much of a leap to say that she can use echo location especially sense they have heightened sense in general as a species, and she has a lusus who can gradually teach her. Not to mention her curling horns help pick up sound.

I understand there is definitely going to be restrictions as the threat of meta gaming may be an issue peeking on your mind right about now, but I've roleplayed her like this before and during that time have respected the boundaries of other's. She can't hear through walls unless she has her ear pressed up to the wall which there is still a great deal of muffling, and I take into account the area which she's is as it can affect how far noise can travel.

If this is acceptable would this be placed under powers or would it simply be under strengths?
if it's something she's learned, that is possible for other trolls to learn as well, through practice, then it's a skill rather than a power. blind humans have been shown to be able to learn basic echolocation, so it's not past the point of plausibility. if you play it as something that she's using to overcome her disability, rather than something that gives her a special edge over other trolls, there's no problem.  

amicableAggressor
Vice Captain

Versatile Vermin

Static Impulse

Trash Squad

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:33 pm
amicableAggressor
if it's something she's learned, that is possible for other trolls to learn as well, through practice, then it's a skill rather than a power. blind humans have been shown to be able to learn basic echolocation, so it's not past the point of plausibility. if you play it as something that she's using to overcome her disability, rather than something that gives her a special edge over other trolls, there's no problem.

Oh yeah definitely, her blindness is more of a hindrance than anything else and is especially hard to work around in new and or open areas where there isn't a lot of noise or places where the noise can refract off of. (Refract is the right word right? Or is that specifically for light? Because refraction is for any wave like frequency be it light or noise, so I just assume.)

She learns to live with it and she should by the time she's an adult be fully capable of moving around with a lot more naturally, but I don't imagine she would be particularly good at fighting and that's a large part of Trollian culture. So she has to find herself more useful in other areas, unless she somehow trains extensively with someone who can teach her how to defend herself. It's not unheard of for their to be blind warriors, but honestly I can't really see her doing that. Who knows though, Chirop may end up being someone entirely different from what I've played before and I'm excited to see how she develops.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:21 pm
I've come back after some time away from gaia to complete this questing thread. For the most part I've updated everything I wanted to and even re did certain sections such as personality now that I have a larger grasp and understanding of the character.  

Static Impulse

Trash Squad

Static Impulse

Trash Squad

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:44 pm
amicableAggressor

Based on our last conversation I would like to link you this video. It's about a boy who can echo-locate to the point despite him being blind her can play video games, roller skate, play basket ball and interact with his surroundings with ease.

Boy who can see using Echoloaction  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:16 pm
Alrighty! Chirop Staff Crit: Autumn Edition!

There are a few points I’d like to touch on with Chirop. Most importantly, I’d like to know how she feels about the hemospectrum. Does she buy into the hierarchy, or is she more skeptical? How aware is she of the hemospectrum’s impact on her personally, versus how it affects the people around her? Does she care? Does she view lowbloods differently than highbloods?

In the description of her symbol, Chirop is described as “cynical” and that “she tries to maintain a smooth composure.” This isn’t really mentioned again in her personality section, so I’m curious. Does this influence how she interacts with other trolls? Does she particularly want to make friends, or is she content with keeping distance between herself and others? Is Chirop conscious of her standoffishness, or does she not notice her behavior until it’s pointed out to her? Regarding her shyness flaw, is she a nervous kind of shy, or is she icier? Does her shyness often come into conflict with her curiosity?

I love the idea of Chirop using FLARPing and acting to combat her shyness. Does she have specific characters or scenes she likes to play?

Is collecting something Chirop does because it’s fun, or is it more of a security measure, like stocking up on supplies? Is this a learned behavior from her lusus? Does she find it hard to let go of items she’s collected? Are there certain types of objects Chirop is specifically drawn to? Does she go out on trips specifically to look for things, or does she just pick things up incidentally?

Where is Chirop’s hive? The main cities of Hivestuck are listed here on the front page. It wouldn’t be out of the ordinary for a cave like hers to be near any of these locations (except for maybe the middle of New Hemisect), so just name whichever place is closest.

As for Chirop’s lusus, I’d specifically like to know about how they get along with each other. What’s BatDad’s parenting style? Has he taught Chirop any particular behaviors or worldviews? Does he get along with trolls other than Chirop?

And for my final round of questions, more for curiosity’s sake than anything, what’s causing Chirop’s poor eyesight? How bad is it at this stage in her life? How fast is it deteriorating? Is she taking steps to try to prevent it from getting worse?

Okay, that’s all I’ve got for now! Looking forward to the next installment of Chirop!  

seekingCylem
Crew

Ice-Cold Cultist

9,875 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Hygienic 200

Static Impulse

Trash Squad

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:09 pm
seekingCylem

So I've been working on Chirop's profile based on a few things you've said and I should have it ready to answer most if not all of your questions that you asked about shortly. However I noticed a few questions that were brought up were already answered briefly elsewhere in the profile. Maybe they were somewhere where you didn't expect them to be and if that is the case that means Chirop's profile is in some serious need of reorganizing and rewriting. Which was something I already planned to do in a few areas because I felt that the sentences didn't flow properly.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:41 pm
Static: If a crit is brought up concerning the quest application, then that means that the application is not covering that topic with enough clarity, or lacks the necessary detail to fully answer that question. Perhaps the organization of the application could be improved, but whatever the case we do read through the applications carefully. I'm sure you didn't intend your response to be curt, but I'm just letting you know.

If you have questions about parts of the critique that are brought up, let us know which sections in your quest you have concerns about and we can be more clear in our directions.  

Sypon
Vice Captain

Static Impulse

Trash Squad

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:31 pm
Bumping because I'm looking for crits. Also posted in the appropriate thread about it so I don't know if bumping is exactly necessary but here I go anyways.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:53 pm
I'm going to give Chirop a good look through as soon as I'm home from work, but right off the bat I can tell you you'll want to rearrange the formatting to match the default. You can find it here. Additional information should be presented in a separate post, but since you already have numerous posts on here, I think you'd be fine tucking it in a spoiler tag down at the bottom.

I look forward to checking her out later. (:

*Edit: Legit Crit Below*

Hurr it be, Static!

So, I read through Chirop as well as skimmed the previous crits. I recommend that you look them over since you received some really great notes from the staff. I'll reiterate some of that here though.

First thing's first: The Hemospectrum absolutely needs to be addressed. It plays a huge role in daily life on Alternia, and knowing Chirop's stance on it is vital. What does she think of lowbloods? Highbloods? Of the system itself? Her place on it?

Since you mention scarring around her eyes, I wonder what caused that. It's not something that needs an in-depth explanation, but a single sentence referring to the cause would be nice! It could also be something used to further flesh out her character.

I'm curious if her sensitivity to sound causes her to be overwhelmed by auditory stimuli? Since she does rely on sound to get around, that could be a real struggle for her.

Moving on to Chirop's strength and flaws... scavenger reads a lot like resourceful. Same thing with dishonest and theft. Personally I would combine them. The traits don't stand out on their own and strengths and flaws are better left to distinctive personality traits rather than character quirks.

Chirop's personality section is... pretty barren. The shop definitely does not weigh word count over quality, but I think you could stand to add a little more. You have some good material down in the superfluous "Likes" section. I would eliminate that as its own section and put all the information up into her personality. If you're worried about coming up with more material, consider examining how her strengths and flaws play off each other and seeing if more traits develop from there. Otherwise maybe take a look at some of her fears and things that set her off. Consider something like how she responds to conflict. I don't think you need a lot more (consider you'll be adding information on the hemospectrum and relocating other information), but just a little bit to give her some oomph!

Her hive still needs an official location. Again, check Cylem's crit. She provided a link for you to look at all the shop locations. o/

I really like the world-building you did with her lusus! It's really nice to have a lusus recogniseable as a species and not just an individual. Kudos there!

If you have any questions about the application process feel free to check out this handy-dandy thread. The staff recently developed it to help speed up getting trolls into the shop! Remember that all and any clarifications go into the app itself. It's fine to answer them down here, but more importantly they need to go up there, since that's where things aren't clear. Best of luck~!

Static Impulse

Green Minuet

Greedy Trickster

amicableAggressor
Vice Captain

Versatile Vermin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:46 am
Heya, first off! Chirop's blood is too light and falls into mutant saturation, an acceptable non-mutant version would be #01bc52█████

Second, Green's crit brought up multiple important points. From needing to stick with the proper format down, I agree with each of his points. Please address those before asking for another crit, thanks!  
Application Quests

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff