Welcome to Gaia! ::

Revolution: Gaia ©

Back to Guilds

Tags: Gaia, Revolution, Change, Cash Shop, Gaia Cash 

Reply 📌Important Information & References
The Gaia Community Will Be Saying Goodbye to Uncle Kenny &.. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Pwnder
Captain

Generous Trader

26,075 Points
  • Fusion Master 1000
  • Guildmember 100
  • Winged 100
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:42 am
It's a sad day sad

I found this topic in SF and my heart sank

You can read his Journal for confirmation

Our Hero is gone....

Found a user conducted interview with Uncle Kenny some might find interesting

Quote:
Dref Dur: *holds up microphone*

Hey there Uncle Kenny! Dref Dur here, can I have a moment of your time?

Was hoping you might be able to have a quick interview. Nothing too serious, just a sort of light hearted interview. wink heart

(Congratulations on your new opportunity by the way!)

Uncle Kenny: Ha, sure, go for it.

Dref Dur: 1) In all of your years here Uncle Kenny, and all of your experience it seems newfound opportunity has created a turn in which you will no longer be working with Gaia Interactive.

How does this make you feel?

Uncle Kenny: I am still bound by NDA so there's some stuff I can't talk about but I'll answer what I can!

I don't think it's fully set in that I'm actually gone yet. Even sleeping in today and not going into the office feels kind of weird. Overall though, it's a really big change since Gaia has been a pretty big part of my life for years now. It'll be really different but I made a big jump to come out here in the first place and that worked out well so I'm hoping this jump will also work out.

Dref Dur: 2) I can imagine it must've been quite the adjustment coming and working for Gaia! The company itself has changed so much, even over the years you've been on staff with them!

Over your years with Gaia, what are some changes that really stick out to you?

Uncle Kenny: I think the two biggest changes I can think of would be when Gaia moved into the social/mobile gaming industry and then when the company moved back out of it more recently. I think those two things caused the biggest shifts in terms of internal changes and direction that Gaia Online went in.

Dref Dur: I can definitely see how this would cause some big changes! It's not easy for a company to take a risk and really put themselves out there to try something new! And mobile gaming platform can be a very unpredictable market!

3) Gaia Online still has some risky future ventures in the works as we know! Some of the ones users constantly associated you with in the past included the Wedding/Marriage System, the Pets system, various events and even the Loyalty Shop!

I can guess you probably can't speak much as to those projects, but due to your no longer being with Gaia can we expect any of those upcoming projects to now be cancelled?

Uncle Kenny: Obviously I don't know either way but I doubt they'll be cancelled just because I'm gone. There are still Devs left at Gaia who can work on it and I left what documentation I could for anybody who continues it. I was only the one assigned to work on the projects so they'll probably continue on without me.

Dref Dur: Okay, I gotcha! Thanks for the heads up! Sometimes it can be hard to tell what will happen with things like that! sweatdrop

4) Recently we've seen an increase in NPC-user interaction. A lot of old fans are springing up again, and are loving some attention with the characters! Now that you'll have time to be a normal user when you're not working at your new job, you'll be freed up to enjoy things again!

Are there any NPCs that are your favorites?

Uncle Kenny: The holiday NPCs are probably my favorite which made the events of last year all the more fun for me. Being able to build up to an epic showdown between Easter Bunny and Jack was awesome.

Dref Dur: I don't think you're alone on that one Uncle Kenny, so many people are big fans of the holiday NPCs! That Jack and Easter Bunny sure know how to rumble, huh? wink And moving right along to the next question:

5) You said in your journal entry you were a Moderator for Gaia and then once you graduated college you pretty much wound up working there pretty quick, right? We hear a lot of people on the site who are very passionate express interest in working for Gaia.

For aspiring Gaia staff, what advice would you give on preparing for such an opportunity?

Uncle Kenny: I'm not very good at advice but I guess the best suggestion I have is to just make yourself known to those who can help you get to where you want to be. You can be the greatest at what you do but unless you reach out and make sure the right people know you exist, nothing can ever really happen.

Dref Dur: And what great advice! It's true you can be as prepared as you want, but you've got to get your foot in the door somehow! Very solid advice!

7) We're on our last two questions of the interview, I hope I didn't take up too much of your time! With the future laying wide open, this sudden dramatic turn of events is going to have users all topsy turvy!

Anything you want to say to users who might be worried about future projects? Anything you might be able to tell them to get excited for?

Uncle Kenny: Afraid I can't really give away any info about future projects but there are still Developers there so they should be able to handle any projects that come down the line.

Dref Dur: 8 ) There has been a massive outpouring of support on the news of your departure from Gaia Interactive. As I'm sure you've seen in the forums, users left and right are showing not only shock buth eartfelt goodbyes and appreciation for all your hard work on our beloved website!

Is there anything you'd like to say, a farewell message if you will for those reacting to the news?

Uncle Kenny: All I can say is that I'll miss everyone and am sorry for the sudden news. Everything works out in the end though.

Dref Dur: Okay Uncle Kenny! Great interview, and thanks for your time!

You will definitely be missed, and we thank you for your support over time! Best of luck, and you'll be seeing our interview in the forums tonight! wink heart

Random Post by Uncle Kenny concerning remaining devs at Gaia
For those of you that don't know NDA = Non Disclosure Agreement.
Many companies, especially tech companies, require their employees to sign this agreement to protect company interests/endeavors/projects from information leakage for a certain time period, whether they are still employed by the company or not

*UPDATE*

Also, apparently ubermegAtrOn has left us this week as well sad
ubermegAtrOns Journal
Judging by his wording, there are only two Devs left

My source of info was found here

Really though, what the hell is going on right now scream  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:17 pm
Well, s**t.  

soren_alenko

Barton Lover

44,325 Points
  • Ian's Valentine 100
  • Champion 300
  • Rebuilder 100

Izzy Derp
Crew

Smitten Fairy

33,800 Points
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Attending the Ball 25
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:24 pm
*sigh* one of the last people who actually cared is gone. This makes me really want to cry..I wonder what dark days are ahead...I know they will be far darker than the days we already have :/  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:38 pm
At least he wasn't fired...otherwise I'd really lose faith in Gaia's judgment...

Although I'm not happy, I do understand him needing to pursue better opportunities...

Princess Voltari

Cheery Treasure

15,325 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Love Machine 150

Pwnder
Captain

Generous Trader

26,075 Points
  • Fusion Master 1000
  • Guildmember 100
  • Winged 100
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:42 pm
One thing this says to me is that he went looking for a better job

crying  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:25 pm
Yea I mean I am glad he was not fried but yea it sorta seemed like he did go to look for a new job. I know if I were in his shoes...  

Izzy Derp
Crew

Smitten Fairy

33,800 Points
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Attending the Ball 25

Quadropopilous

Rare

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:37 pm
++ Severely depressing. Sad enough that I even sent him a farewell pm.
Who's going to fill his shoes? Urgh. I feel like Gaia's been in a community
recession and we're just now starting the first days of the depression

I'll definitely have to add a farewell for Uncle Kenny in the magazine. ++

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:15 pm
Wow. Are there any good guys left now? I was under the impression that Kenny was the last one. cat_sad  

Kangit
Crew

High-functioning Shapeshifter

0Ul

Versatile Girl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:22 pm
Uggggh.

This makes my heart ache. I feel like this ship is sinking, and even worse, many are choosing to jump before it goes down and we're all left to the icy shark-infested water around us.

This is one of the saddest things to happen yet.
crying  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:01 pm
i am not trying to start anything but he says he quit and that is what we are lead to believe and we have to take his or their word for it
but what if he really was fired and had to say he quit to keep users more quiet so that the site feedback forum would not be swamped with hate about the ceo
just saying you just never know
the reason i say this is because i was fired once and was asked to say i quit so they said i could get a job back in the future and when it did not happen i told people what really happened and many of my friends were mad to think i had mislead them but understood that i was under duress so you just dont know
lets hope its the truth that he just quit but i guess you will never truly know

TERRACE-XIII_SSC

Pegasaurus Rex

Stone-cold Loiterer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:00 pm
cry We should spam him with Valentines on the 14th. Tell him thanks for his hard work.

I'm glad he found a better job. I'll miss him sooooo much, but it seemed like they kept undermining his hard work (especially with his gold sinks). He deserves a lot better. I was hoping maybe Kenny would become the new CEO somehow, but I guess I'll have to give up on that dream. confused  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:37 am
I'm very sorry to see him go. This is going to impact the community, I can feel it already.  

xx I met my fate xx

Distrustful Gaian

26,215 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400

MURKR0W

Feral Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:56 pm
User Image

this was kind of a blow for me considering i really liked how he tried his hardest to keep us in the loop without breaching contract  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:58 pm
TERRACE-XIII_SSC
i am not trying to start anything but he says he quit and that is what we are lead to believe and we have to take his or their word for it
but what if he really was fired and had to say he quit to keep users more quiet so that the site feedback forum would not be swamped with hate about the ceo
just saying you just never know
the reason i say this is because i was fired once and was asked to say i quit so they said i could get a job back in the future and when it did not happen i told people what really happened and many of my friends were mad to think i had mislead them but understood that i was under duress so you just dont know
lets hope its the truth that he just quit but i guess you will never truly know
he explicitly mentions in the journal entry that he wasnt fired and he doesnt want us to jump to that conclusion

he know us, haha rofl  

MURKR0W

Feral Warrior

Pwnder
Captain

Generous Trader

26,075 Points
  • Fusion Master 1000
  • Guildmember 100
  • Winged 100
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:34 pm
Fired or not, I appreciate that he considered our feelings and didn't want to rile up the community because of it. I bet he knew we put him on a pedestal and he didn't want to be the reason for more people would jump off the ship. It's obvious through and through that he has a deep seated love for Gaia no matter what state its in, just like the rest of us. heart

Wouldn't it be amazing if Uncle Kenny joined our ranks emotion_awesome  
📌Important Information & References

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces