Uplifting Things

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Pegasaurus Rex

Stone-cold Loiterer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:53 am
Hey, guys. I've been pretty down lately due to family and just personal stuff and I can't shake it. I won't bore you with the details, but it's pretty hard for me. I'm basically making this thread for myself to help me get out of my problems and back into my right mind.
Here is where I'll post videos/songs/stories/pictures that help me when I'm having a hard time. I thought of making a word document for it all, but I realized I might not be the only one who is struggling and maybe this could help us all be a little more emotionally healthy.
If anyone wants to post their own uplifting media, they're free to do so and I would actually really appreciate that. Also if anyone just needs someone to talk to, I'm here to listen. I know how important it is to have someone just hear you and validate your feelings. PM me anytime.

First off, this is a video I think everyone needs to watch who has struggled with depression. Confessions of a Depressed Comic.
This is the most recent thing that has helped me, and yes, I suffer from depression.

Other Videos That Have Helped:
To This Day Project - Shane Koyczan -about Bullying (BEAUTIFUL poetry, by the way)
Ash Beckham - Coming out of the metaphorical closet
Bronx Youth Poetry SLAM 2013, Ethan Metzger (responding to someone saying his parents "brainwashed" him into his religion)

I've got a lot of other stuff, but I should go to bed now. See ya'll later. gaia_star  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:12 am
Love you, Peg, and glad you thought of this. I read a book in college that really made sense to me, called The Psychology of Laughter, I think, but it's none of those in print right now. The author was a prison camp survivor.

The primary idea was that all laughter is based on a relief from pain, from mild to severe, and that it is necessary to health and even survival.

That helped me to understand a great many baffling things.

It's good to laugh, and I look for things that make me laugh without being hurtful to others. As a consequence, I am known as a happy person who finds it easy to talk with others, but that is a serious piece of why I can be that way.

I'll go look for bright shiny happy things and drag them back to this post.

1. I look for what is real and people who are real. People who say and do what they mean without being mean are the anchors of my world.

2. Peacock feathers. Magenta. Turquoise and other sky colors. Khaki, the color of warm sunny sand. Looking up, even especially at the trims on tall buildings. Idk why, but it works. Silk, voile, rayon, soft fine Merino wool (the kind that doesn't itch, folks). Oreo cookies. SONGBIRDS!!!

3. The cranky person in your life who is never cheerful but never ever lies and is never ever mean. Make a friend of them! Bet they have a ton of ideas for depression!

4. This poem -

I never saw a purple cow,
I never hope to see one,
but I can tell you this right now,
I'd rather see than be one!

5. Kids' books -
The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein
The Lorax by Dr. Seuss (Theodore Geisel)
Bartholomew Cubbins and the Thousand Hats by Seuss/Geissel (I may have the count off on the number of hats, but it is my absolutely favorite picturebook.)

6. Videos -
Web 2.0 - thefirstpost.co.uk - funnee!
TV Dinner - Simons Cat - The whole channel is hilarious!
p***y versus Printer
Christian the Lion

7. Music -
Anugama - Healing - space music (long)
will.I.am/Bieber
Transcendance Music Video - Lindsay Stirling (hiphop violinist)

Ima gonna stop now...*huggles*.  

jellykans

Playful Guildswoman

Pegasaurus Rex

Stone-cold Loiterer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:21 pm
jellykans

emotion_hug Love you too, Jelly.

emotion_bigheart I looooove Christian the Lion! Everytime I watch that I tear up. crying
I was actually thinking of adding that one to my list, but you beat me to it! Thanks for sharing. And I love the Shel Silverstein. I still have all his poem books. I think "Falling Up" is my favorite. XD

You know the 'half cup of water'? My half cup is half-full IN THE TOP HALF OF THE CUP. Be creative. ^^  
🎭Chatterbox

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games