Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply Gaian British Guild
A Great British Journey of Discovery. Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:41 am
This summer, I'm going on a journey all around the UK.

A lot of people that that's a bit crap compared with travelling to India, smoking a lot of cannabis, and 'discovering myself' whilst getting a tan. But really, I know myself pretty damn well already, and what I don't understand now seems to be of very little consequence.

I'm simply too curious. There's a lot in the media about 'Britishness' now, tests for it and all the rest. It's interesting. When I was younger I thought the country was a sort of friendly green place full of friendly nice people.

Then it gradually tarnished, then I found so many multitudinous 'brands' of Britishness I didn't know what to think. I've also worked in a shop and found myself at the recieving-end of some unbelievable rudeness and petty snobbery.

I simply don't know what this country is like. I love it here, and I love most of what I see but I'm woefully uninformed and inexperienced. I don't know what the North is like, I haven't seen any of the "All hope renounce ye who enter here" housing estates. Nor have I really travelled freely and at mercy of my own personal whim.

Simply; I've gone from loving my country to realising that I don't know what it is or what it is like.

I'm travelling to see for myself what this bloody place is actually like. Sans spin or nostalgia or self-deprecation.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:55 am
I'm repairing my car at the moment, the workhorse of this venture, and I intend to leave for the trip as soon as Kate has finished her exams and is free to join me. I'm banking on my having the car primed with all the necessary kit by then.

Now, as well as seeing all sort of diverse facets and bumping into all sorts of random people, I thought it might be rather cool if I found time to meet some of you lot too.

When we have a date for a GBG or GBG/UKGG meet meet, I'll be making an appearance, but I understand that some of you may have other arrangements and some of you live too far away. So to remedy this, I'm happy to factor in a stop-off for a cup of tea or a drink (or a shower too, if you're generous >.<) if any of you think you'd quite like to witness in person how I'm getting on with my little exploration.

So, feel free to post or PM if you'd like me to stop-by and say hullo.

Invictus_88
Captain

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:10 am
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:33 am
[And here, just to be sure.]  

Invictus_88
Captain

A Lost Iguana

Aged Pants

9,100 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:32 am
That's actually an interesting idea. To be honest, I've hardly been about the country either. <_<  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:50 am
Wherever I happen to be on this little island of ours, you'll both always be welcome...Just wish I could do the same thing, to be honest. Alas, work rather cuts in on one's fun time. gonk  

illyrianth
Vice Captain

Foetus In Fetu
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:35 am
Mmm, I've been around but not much. Mostly I've been around the East Midlands and London. Nottingham is where I live, and Islington is like a second home. That's really it though.

I think it's a good idea. Britain is so small compared to other countries that we kind of forget how varied it is. A lot of British people don't know their country that well, myself included.

illyrianth
Alas, work rather cuts in on one's fun time. gonk

You can say that again. And again. And again.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:07 pm
Foetus In Fetu

illyrianth
Alas, work rather cuts in on one's fun time. gonk

You can say that again. And again. And again.

I would, but I wouldn't want anyone to think I was posting nonsense repeatedly...For most, once is enough wink or - heaven forbid - sending any thread off on a tangent which could possibly end up involving yoghurt, pet rocks and so on  

illyrianth
Vice Captain

xXx White Lily xXx

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:24 pm
Sounds like fun. I'd like to think I'm quite well travelled and I've seen a fair amount of this country but there's always more to see. And you are of course always welcome here for a cuppa and chocolate biccie, just give me a bell 3nodding  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:59 pm
Before I throw myself into more specific replies, I have to just post first and say how glad I am that there's a fair bit of support for my idea.

It sometimes seems a bit naive, but I'm sure it's not. It doesn't stop it being a bit on the unusual side, as gap year travels go.

Invictus_88
Captain

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:08 pm
illyrianth
Wherever I happen to be on this little island of ours, you'll both always be welcome...Just wish I could do the same thing, to be honest. Alas, work rather cuts in on one's fun time. gonk

That was rahther my thinking too. I'll be either studying or working. Neither has opportunity for understanding where I live and the people who live here, and even if it did involve travelling, it would be tied to work. Not really involving the freedom to go and visit whatever small pub, river bend, hillock or burned-out vehicle catches my eye.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:16 pm
I'll be using one of those reserved spaces to post a list of places Kate and I are thinking of visiting. I'll probably add to it any of you who are likely to be free for tea or a drink when we're journeying. I can't tell you with any accuracy when in the summer I'll be passing through whatever bit of the country though, as I've not yet given it an order and in any case it'll be flexible and dependent upon whether my car holds together. I just finished wresting some new glow-plugs into it this evening.

Also, though I have a list of places, I also have the benefit of you lot. You all know your bits of the country (and, I daresay, other bits of it too) and so I was wondering if any of you knew of placed I should see.

They can be historical, beautiful or horrifying. It doesn't really matter which. Anything that will help inform me I suppose. So, anything of interest that I may not have thought of yet?

Invictus_88
Captain

Arivel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:51 pm
I think it's a grand idea, personally. xD But... I'm doing basically the same thing. Not sure where I'm going exactly though. Or who I'll be with. Perhaps we might bump into each other sometime. <3  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:06 pm
Arivel
I think it's a grand idea, personally. xD But... I'm doing basically the same thing. Not sure where I'm going exactly though. Or who I'll be with. Perhaps we might bump into each other sometime. <3

Well, it'd be a travesty not to have a drink or something while you're here. Indeed, if you wanted you could probably hitch along with us for a bit.

It'd depend where you want to go of course, but then our course is unlikely to be much more limited than "today, we're probably going mostly north", "today, we're probably going mostly south" or "today, mostly we'll be having a picnic while Francis duct-tapes the wing mirrors back on.."

rolleyes  

Invictus_88
Captain

Sashmo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:24 am
Hey dude, good luck with your plans and i hope it goes well ( i also hope your car holds out lol )
The uk is a pretty damn good holiday in itself. I did a very basic journey around the uk stopping off at places like stonehenge up to edinburgh castle and back down the other side...
The amount of canadians and aussies i met along the way was near enough uncountable lol! So if you think that people are coming to this "sunshine"country to find there selves.... you should be fine.
And it's definatly an experience that will humble a person (it did me) knowing just what's in your own country and what fantastic things there are out there!
Good luck again i hope it's a really enjoyable experience! xd heart xd

Gaian British Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces