Submit

notmuch_23

Lonely Conventioneer

17,525 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:30 pm
Since I'm pretty sure the conversion corner doesn't cover this, I'd like to make a thread for heavy kitbashing and scratchbuilding discussion and presentation.

(note to Captain, Vice Captain, and Crew: if this thread is not appropriate, feel free to remove it, I understand)

I am an avid scratchbuilder/kitbasher, and though I posted a few photos of my work in the Sprue Uses thread, those barely scratched the surface. In fact, most of my flickr photostream is filled with pictures of my scratchbuilds and loots, a vast majority of them Ork.

Is there anybody else here that also enjoys scratchbuilding or kitbashing, and if so, what kinds of models do you usually make, and how do you do it (maybe some specific techniques, tools, or materials)?

If you don't, is there a reason you don't , or do you like even playing against kitbashed and/or scratchbuilt models?

For those who don't know:
kitbash- use parts of one or more kits, along with other materials (such as sheet styrene) to construct a model other than that the kit(s) intend

scratchbuild- use raw materials (cardboard, sheet styrene, shaped styrene, smaller parts) to construct a model  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:48 am
I use bits from different kits fairly often, though pretty rarely scratch-build anything. I know GW has pretty strict regulations about how most of your mini must be composed of GW components, but I don't think most people would care unless it was in a tournament. whee

My latest kit-bashing project has been my Autarch on Jetbike. I used tons of parts from an old OOP Fantasy High Elf dragon, and some Dark Pegasus wings to give it a dragon look. It fits an Altansar fire and lava theme, but that's a whole other story. xp After this photo, I removed the horns from the jaw, removed the banner pole from the bike, and replaced said banner pole with some spikes from a Hasslefree scythe.

User Image

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:27 am
One of these days I will finish building that house for 7ombieTV. That I went out of my way to get thin plasticard yesterday means I have almost everything I need for it.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:13 am
Lt. Brookman
One of these days I will finish building that house for 7ombieTV. That I went out of my way to get thin plasticard yesterday means I have almost everything I need for it.
There was also that farmhouse for Bolt Action, wasn't there?  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:33 am
DarkElf27
Lt. Brookman
Yeah, somewhere along the line I'll pick up new primer and do that one as well. Bolt Action is low-pro right now.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:09 am
Lt. Brookman
DarkElf27
Lt. Brookman
Yeah, somewhere along the line I'll pick up new primer and do that one as well. Bolt Action is low-pro right now.
Aye, still starting up that new 40k campaign, aye?

Raises an interesting off-shoot though, how about scratch-built terrain? GW offers loads of pre-sculpted stuff for purchase now, but when I was getting started, I'd make buildings and bunkers out of anything I could find, though I don't have many left. What terrain have you guys scratch-built?  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:24 am
DarkElf27
Lt. Brookman
DarkElf27
Lt. Brookman
Aye, still starting up that new 40k campaign, aye?
Should be starting next Saturday if all goes well.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:10 pm
DarkElf27

I've built some building ruins from foamboard scraps I got cheap from work, and then there's the small Ork scrapyard I made.

I would like to build the Ork versions of the Fortress of Redemption, Aquila Strongpoint, Firestorm Redoubt, and Vengeance weapon battery, but I'm focusing on vehicles right now.  

notmuch_23

Lonely Conventioneer

17,525 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
  • Conventioneer 300

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:51 am
notmuch_23
DarkElf27

I've built some building ruins from foamboard scraps I got cheap from work, and then there's the small Ork scrapyard I made.

I would like to build the Ork versions of the Fortress of Redemption, Aquila Strongpoint, Firestorm Redoubt, and Vengeance weapon battery, but I'm focusing on vehicles right now.
Aye, army-specific versions of the purchasable terrain seem like great opportunities. I remember seeing a kickstarter for army-specific Aegis Defence Lines, they looked pretty awesome.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:50 am
DE and I scratch-built six of my Repentia using HFMinis, ForgeWorld bitz (weapons, purity seals) and a ton of greenstuff to cover up the naughty parts (sorry Volan d vol), but after months of work and a good primer base, they look very similar to the original GW models. Its my first project like this, and I was quite happy with how they turned out.  

ArletaMagic

Hygienic Fairy

10,800 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Flatterer 200

notmuch_23

Lonely Conventioneer

17,525 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:51 pm
Still a work in progress (as evidenced by the lack of rivets), but I thought I'd post pics of my Mek Junka so far:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I would still like to add a giant transformer (like the ones inside a substation) behind the tow barrels, and a bunch of power cables made with bass guitar string before I rivet the armor and spray on some primer.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:27 am
Working on a minor kitbash myself involving Centurions and heads from Pig Iron Productions. I guess my Guard tanks also see minor degrees of kitbash, but nothing too extreme.  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:37 am
notmuch_23
Still a work in progress (as evidenced by the lack of rivets), but I thought I'd post pics of my Mek Junka so far:

I would still like to add a giant transformer (like the ones inside a substation) behind the tow barrels, and a bunch of power cables made with bass guitar string before I rivet the armor and spray on some primer.
That looks awesome! That's the way proppa Orky vehicles are supposed to look, makes that army great for kitbashing.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:52 pm
DarkElf27

That is why I heart Orks!

Just got the thickest set of bass guitar strings my local Guitar Center had, and now I just need to see what substation transformers look like, and put a DC generator on the engine driveshaft (differential-wound, for its excellent voltage regulation), then make some more batteries for the storage bank.  

notmuch_23

Lonely Conventioneer

17,525 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
  • Conventioneer 300

notmuch_23

Lonely Conventioneer

17,525 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:27 pm
I decided to go with the can-type transformer found on power poles, as a substation transformer would be the size of the whole damn junka. With that, some power cabling, and riveting, I can finally put some primer on when the weather (or our garage) warms up.

Painting and Modelling Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff