[Kickstarter] Secret Weapon's Tablescape Tiles Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:20 am
First of all, you can find it here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1084069684/tablescapes-by-secret-weapon-miniatures

Quote:
User Image

Tablescapes is an injection molded plastic 12x12" tile set designed to give tabletop gamers themed gaming environments that are fully compatible with new and existing terrain and basing options from Secret Weapon Miniatures. Our initial offering, "Scrap Yard," will give you the ability to put your army on "Scrap Yard" bases, set them on a "Scrap Yard" table, and surround them with "Scrap Yard" terrain -- giving you a completely integrated, unified theme for your gaming experience.

User Image

User Image

Compression clips keep the tiles held firmly together - with edge and interior designs for maximum stability while you're gaming.

Basically, in a nutshell, Justin, the owner of Secret Weapon Miniatures, is looking at producing a cheaper and more affordable version of the Realm of Battle. $150 (including shipping worldwide!) for a 4'x4' table is one hell of a bargain and with distributors in the United States, United Kingdom and Australia foreign backers do not have to worry about paying customs!

As of right now the project has been funded. It needed $80,000 as a starting goal to fund the first design shown above. With that out of the way Justin can work towards the stretch goals, the first of which can be seen here in its earliest stages:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

As you can see, the first stretch goal is to create a unique set of sixteen urban tiles, barricades and bases. Other stretch goals include "generic" fields, ruined temple, trench works, a desert and there has been some heavy hint dropping towards space ship interiors.

I'll be keeping this thread updated as the big updates stream in, so stay tuned!  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:44 am
Wow, that got a lot of money real quick, didn't it?  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:47 am
DarkElf27
Funded in a wee bit more than a day. Goes to show that if the idea is good and the price is good, anything goes.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:07 am
Lt. Brookman
DarkElf27
Funded in a wee bit more than a day. Goes to show that if the idea is good and the price is good, anything goes.
Looks to have run out of steam tho..  

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Hellraiser 500

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:30 am
Quote:
With the "Urban Streets" tile set being broken into 8 "clean" tiles, and 8 damaged tiles, and so many people asking to buy two sets of the 8 "clean" tiles... it occurred to me that, for at least this theme, we can break it into two funding levels!

And so if we hit $120,000 I will unlock the display board pledge level, and add-on option, but ALSO unlock the clean "Urban Streets" tile set.

That's right - we're so close to unlocking the first part of "Urban Streets" that you can taste it... AND IT IS DELICIOUS!

I'll ask for some revised, clean only "Urban Streets" concept this morning - as we won't be using the 90* turn and I'm sure you'd like to see what's coming.

You wanted it, and you got it - so let's make this happen!

Quote:
I'm honestly beginning to think that I'm addicted to updates. Maybe the trip to Adepticon will help me detox, because it's going to be a lot harder to update from my iPhone or Kindle!

As we sneak up on the next stretch goal, and I wait for new concept art on the clean "Urban Streets" tiles, I got the "final" renders on the "Scrap Yard" table!

Four flat tiles that allow for easy model movement, and terrain placement, while still providing you with PLENTY of physical detail in the tile itself. How much detail? Check out this close-up!

Of course not every tile is going to be completely flat. Here we have a set of four tiles that include 10% raised detail -- meaning approx. 10% of the individual tile includes some degree of raised detail.

That dirt scheme is universal to our tiles and will make it possible to mix-and-match from among the unlocked themes -- and later releases -- as much as you like!

These tiles include sections of 3/4" - 1" height variations, so that while you have plenty of flat tiles to work with, and lots of available scatter terrain, you also have some times that include physical detail so you can have low cover in a snap!

As you can see, most of the tiles are reasonably flat and simple - at least by comparison to beasts like the scrap hill! Of course I hope to see an emplacement or tower perched atop that hill -- or possibly two of them behind a section of wall, used as firing points!

And I did mention that these tiles are PACKED FULL of detail. Or they will be, now that we've fully funded the "Scrap Yard" set!

Thank you all for the continued support and enthusiasm. Remember, I will be at Adepticon this week and I'll have tiles on display -- with some help from my friends at Mantic Games, On the Lamb, and Battleroad Games & Hobby!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:59 am
Two updates of importance:

Quote:

What's this? A finalized set of concept art for the clean "Urban Streets" tiles? Yes! Well, mostly. I still need to review this with the 3D designer and identify any possible challenges.

In the top left image you can see the eight unique tile designs. These include three straight road sections, one crossroad, two foundations, a checkpoint, and a lift-gate. Each of the straight road sections, and the two foundations, will be detailed to provide a unique look for each tile.

In the top right image you can see one possible combination for a 4x4' table -- although the possibilities are almost limitless!

Last, but not least, is a complete 4x8' table layout using only the eight clean "Urban Streets" tiles.

All of this unlocks at $120,000 -- and we still have the damaged urban tiles to unlock, which will give you even more options!

I'll be going over the concept art with the 3D designer today. He's looking into the engineering challenges (like ensuring that the sidewalks always line up!) and doesn't want to start the proper designs until he finishes those properties. But don't worry, we always start with rough 3D concepts so you should have something to see soon!

Quote:
And we've done it! The first stretch-goal of $120,000 has been passed!

This means we've unlocked the clean "Urban Streets" tile set - AND a new product and pledge level. If you check the rewards you will now see a "Display Board" level, which will give you a 4 tile set from any of the unlocked themes. Before you ask, yes, we're working on a border frame for it... but I can't promise it yet. I spent time on the phone with the factory today though working out what it would cost and how it would work.

I will have updated concept art for the clean "Urban Streets" art to post on Wednesday, and I'm waiting on renders for the "Scrap Yard" display board, and so in the interim I'll give you this quick and dirty rendition of the "Urban Streets" display board tiles -- two straights, and two foundations, to give you plenty of room for infantry and vehicles alike!

We've come a long way and made a lot of changes -- but all for the better. We're already well on the way to unlocking the damaged "Urban Streets" tiles, which will give you THREE options for that tile set: all "clean" tiles, all damaged tiles, or a mix of the two sets.

The files for the "Scrap Yard" tiles should be off to the factory before the end of the month (we're doing some final clean-up) which means we'll be milling before the Kickstarter campaign closes... and ahead of schedule!

Once again my thanks go out to everyone that has been so active in the comments -- your feedback has helped to make this a better campaign, and a better product line.

And now I'm going to finish packing and try to get some sleep before I leave for Adepticon. The prototype tile will be on display at "On the Lamb Games" so stop by if you'd like to see a sample of the actual product!

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:19 am
Quote:

With the clean "Urban Streets" set fully funded I'm happy to show of this shiny new round of concept art! This shows the 8 unique tiles in this set -- and note that the foundation tiles will be individually detailed, and the painted elements (crosswalks, etc.) will not be modeled onto the tile.

An updated on the planned 16 tile count for the clean "Urban Streets" set:

4 x Straight Road
2 x T Junction
2 x X Junction
6 x Foundation
1 x Checkpoint
1 x Lift-Gate (might be a dead-end, might not)

That's what I have at this point -- which is an even 8/8 split if we make the lift a dead-end, or swap in a new specialty tile. I like the IDEA of a lift-gate, but I'm not sold on it yet. Okay, what I like is the idea of an underground parking lot... but that's beside the point. It could easily be an objective (capture the lift!), a reinforcement point, etc. for games that allow it. But they say that pictures speak louder than words, so....

I'm also happy to say that we're making fast progress on the Urban fortification set -- and the walls should be ready to print in the next week.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:24 am
Lt. Brookman
Zambies?  

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Hellraiser 500

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:46 am
Vikki Keeler
Zambies?
YES. emotion_dowant

Lemme nom on them sexy brains. emotion_zombie  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:05 am
Lt. Brookman
Vikki Keeler
Zambies?
YES. emotion_dowant

Lemme nom on them sexy brains. emotion_zombie
Bring it on chuckles.

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Hellraiser 500

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:03 am
An interesting project, but I'm holding off until I get to see those trench tiles. wink  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:37 am
Lady Blodwynn
An interesting project, but I'm holding off until I get to see those trench tiles. wink
Aye, a board with built-in trenchworks seems the most tempting of the proposed tilesets so far.  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:06 am
If you're just going to sit tight and wait the project will never get anywhere.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:08 am
Quote:
Hello Kickstarter! I can't begin to tell you how happy I am to be updating again -- and I have a big one for you today. You see, all sorts of goodies were piling up while I was chained to the classroom desks at Adepticon... and now I'm going to open the floodgates!

First up I have the proof-of-concept renders for the four of the clean "Urban Streets" tiles. These aren't finalized, of course, but they are official tile files and will eventually become the finished product.

There is a wee bit of damage on each tile, but nothing that you won't see by walking outside today and looking at your streets. I'm going to be asking for some minor changes -- like a bit of circular cracking around the manhole cover as I've never seen one without it. The second foundation tile will also be a proper building foundation instead of a park square tile -- so that between the two designs you have the most possible flexibility.

But we can't stop there -- now it's time for the initial damaged "Urban Streets" concepts. This is another proof-of-concept step so that we can get a handle on what we do and don't like. We're going to give the same treatment to the ruined tiles to and play them against each other.

You'll note in the concepts that none of the damage crosses a tile edge though -- this is intentional so that transitions to clean tiles work without having an abrupt change.

BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE!

People have been asking me about storage and transportation since we launched... and now I can give you ANOTHER proof-of-concept image... this time a photo of the tile spacers!

These bad boys will fit into the compression bracket and allow you to stack the tiles vertically inside the box (or bag, I'm coming to that) with little risk of damaging the tiles. We've held them back as we need to get a handle on how many sizes are going to be required to meet the needs of the various tile thicknesses. Right now it looks like we can do 3 sizes but it won't be finalized until the finished tile files are sent to the factory.

*something about Battlefoam*

AMAZING!

Of course I can't stop there -- because I haven't given you a proper update in DAYS and I'm suffering from wicked withdraws. So let me finish by saying that the files for our clean "Urban Streets" walls have been sent to the printer and I'm hoping to have them in molds before the end of the month. I will use those masters to create the damaged set, and we're already at work finalizing concepts for the scatter terrain.

SO VERY, VERY AMAZING!

We're getting very close to unlocking the damaged/ruined "Urban Streets' tiles, and I'm hoping to have concept art for the "Rolling Hills" shortly... WHICH WILL INCLUDE CREEK TILES! Well, at least the concept art will -- and give us time to make sure they work before we send the tile files off to the factory.

Thank you all for your continued enthusiasm and support. I'm going to try and get caught up on the comments now and keep the ball rolling.

$160k Stretch-Goal here we come!

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:19 am
Hmmm, if they reach their quarter-million dollar goal, I might pick up a set of the ruined cathedral tiles to match my wife's Sisters of Battle army.  
Guild Archives

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff