Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Valve Gaming Guild

Back to Guilds

This guild is dedicated to the Valve Corporation. Makers of Half Life. 

Tags: Valve, Team Fortress 2, Portal, Counter Strike, Left 4 Dead 

Reply Off Topic Discussions
Magic: the Gathering Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Roisu
Crew

Witty Phantom

12,350 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Invisibility 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:29 pm
I figured we should probably make a thread for Magic, since I was kind of getting really off-topic in the New Members thread... sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:30 pm
Wodzu
I'm not sure if they didn't make it the way "first go in - last go out", but maybe i'm wrong, i wasn't tracking rules since 2 years actually.

I got two decks - Kaalia The Vast - every atack i put dragon/angel/demon for free atacking, and i usually attack at least 2-3 times per turn biggrin . Other one is on Jhoira of the Githu, where i put fatasses like Kozilek or Ulamog for 2 mana on the table smile .

But in normal, 60card decks i always loved aggro ones - RDW, my Metalcraft made on mirrodin mostly, and lately not so aggro Blue White on Venser, which basicly works this way: Silence-return Silence to hand-attack-reapeat next turn. Works quite well, but it was made mostly to play 2HG smile .

The stack still works like a stack. The Magic the Gathering Basic Rulebook, page 8 says:
Quote:
Spells and abilities exist on the stack. They wait there to resolve until both players choose not to cast any new spells or activate any new abilities. Then the last spell or ability that was put onto the stack resolves, and players get a chance to cast spells and activate abilities again.

Ooh, I like Jhoira. My boyfriend runs her in his blue/red/black EDH deck. (and I think she's pretty). I wasn't familiar with Kaalia until just now, but she seems cool (and also pretty).

I'm sorry if I am confused and wrong, but are you using Venser, Shaper Savant's come-into-play ability to keep using Silence? Because Silence would be lower on the stack than Venser's ability, Silence would be returned to your hand before it can resolve. See: Venser's Gatherer page:
Quote:
If a spell is returned to its owner's hand, it's removed from the stack and thus will not resolve. The spell isn't countered; it just no longer exists.

Roisu
Crew

Witty Phantom

12,350 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Invisibility 100

Wodzu

Aged Hunter

4,250 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • PvP 200
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:47 am
Good idea, we really went off-topic there smile .

Nah, i'm using Venser the Sojourner
Venser

And
Mnemo Wall

And it works Silence in opponents turn upkeep->my turn->venser uses his first ability on Mnemo Wall-> end of turn, silence gets back to me->repeat.

Also got few counterspells and stuff there, Day of Judgement, blue draw accelerators and stuff.

It's good to know that th stack is still up and running smile  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:22 pm
Wodzu
Good idea, we really went off-topic there smile .

Nah, i'm using Venser the Sojourner
Venser

And
Mnemo Wall

And it works Silence in opponents turn upkeep->my turn->venser uses his first ability on Mnemo Wall-> end of turn, silence gets back to me->repeat.

Also got few counterspells and stuff there, Day of Judgement, blue draw accelerators and stuff.

It's good to know that th stack is still up and running smile

Oh, that makes a lot more sense! Very tricksy. How does the deck play before you get five mana?

... I miss Wrath of God.  

Roisu
Crew

Witty Phantom

12,350 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Invisibility 100

Wodzu

Aged Hunter

4,250 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • PvP 200
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:13 am
As i mentioned, at first it was made to play 2v2, as a support deck, but i tested it on 1v1 and against non-fast agro decks it isnt much problem. Wall of Omens fo 2 mana to block, some other creatures for 2-3 mana, Counterspell for 2 blue mana. I'll make full decklist when i get home, if you're interested smile  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:18 am
Wodzu
As i mentioned, at first it was made to play 2v2, as a support deck, but i tested it on 1v1 and against non-fast agro decks it isnt much problem. Wall of Omens fo 2 mana to block, some other creatures for 2-3 mana, Counterspell for 2 blue mana. I'll make full decklist when i get home, if you're interested smile

I'd definitely read the decklist if you don't mind, but I don't want to make you spend time on it if you're busy.  

Roisu
Crew

Witty Phantom

12,350 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Invisibility 100

Wodzu

Aged Hunter

4,250 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • PvP 200
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:25 am
Nah, it is no big problem, and i'll gladly refresh my memory what is in it, cos it was quite a long time since i was using it smile .  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:26 am
ok, so as i promised, my deck list for this one smile

4x Celestial Colonade
3x Glacial Fortress
1x Terramorphic Expanse
1x Halimar Depths
7x Island
1x New Benalia
4x Plains
2x Day of Judgement
4x Silence
1x Temple Bell
1x Path to Exile
4x Preordain
3x Counterspell
1x Journey to Nowhere
4x Oblivion Ring
3x Venser the Sojourner
2x Jace Beleren
2x Sea Gate Oracle
4x Wall of Omens
2x Sun Titan
2x Frost Titan
2x Wurmcoil Engine
2x Mnemonic wall
1x Clone  

Wodzu

Aged Hunter

4,250 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • PvP 200
  • Partygoer 500

Roisu
Crew

Witty Phantom

12,350 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:55 pm
I haven't ever personally played Two Headed Giant, so I don't really know what's good or bad in that format. So, take what I'm about to say with many grains of salt.

A lot of your lands come into play tapped. This worries me because a control deck needs access to its mana now. You have lots of scrying, which is good, since you have a really high number of expensive creatures you don't want taking up space in your hand. You only have 21 lands, including Terramorphic Expanse. Is that really enough for your deck? Also, I really don't like Terramorphic Expanse when you only have two colors. I would swap it out for another Glacial Fortress.

I imagine the "everyone draws" is supposed to help your partner, but I'm a little worried you can't get Jace enough loyalty counters, so you'll be milling yourself just as much. Jace and Temple Bell don't seems to fit the rest of your deck.

I don't know the kind of decks you see regularly playing 2HG, but yours looks really weak to red agro or burn decks especially.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:34 pm
You may have the point, but i usually played it with Mono White Knights, or Mono Blue mofos from the sea bottom wink [krakens and s**t].

In 2hg You and your teammate play at the same time, so usually if not me, he has something toblock. Other thing is i play in casual way, with friends, who dont spend bazilions of money on mtg, so with them, it works pretty good.

About temple bell - i know, it is here only because i switched it with my Crystal Ball which went into EDH deck wink  

Wodzu

Aged Hunter

4,250 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • PvP 200
  • Partygoer 500

Roisu
Crew

Witty Phantom

12,350 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:36 pm
I would maybe replace the temple bell with another counterspell?  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:10 pm
Thats actually not a bad idea. smile I think i had 4 of them, so 4th one is possibly in my Jhoira EDH. Also Consecrated SPhinx seems quite useful here, even maybe instead of Frost Titans. Whaddya think ?  

Wodzu

Aged Hunter

4,250 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • PvP 200
  • Partygoer 500

Roisu
Crew

Witty Phantom

12,350 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:05 am
Having more flying is always good, but I don't feel that the sphinx's ability would help you, especially compared to Frost Titan's tapping. You should already have plenty of card draw, and I don't want you to mill yourself. I haven't seen your deck in play, of course, do you often find yourself without enough cards in your hand?

I'm not really familiar with the creatures in standard right now, but you can probably find a more cost effective flier... Maybe replace the Mnemonic Walls or Wurmcoil Engines with fliers? Unless your removal and Counterspells can keep out any aerial threats?  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:41 am
Roisu
Having more flying is always good, but I don't feel that the sphinx's ability would help you, especially compared to Frost Titan's tapping. You should already have plenty of card draw, and I don't want you to mill yourself. I haven't seen your deck in play, of course, do you often find yourself without enough cards in your hand?

I'm not really familiar with the creatures in standard right now, but you can probably find a more cost effective flier... Maybe replace the Mnemonic Walls or Wurmcoil Engines with fliers? Unless your removal and Counterspells can keep out any aerial threats?

Having Venser and o-rings keeps me ok against flyers, but on sideboard i havce 4 wall of denial. Flying Shroud 0/8 for 3 mana is always good smile  

Wodzu

Aged Hunter

4,250 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • PvP 200
  • Partygoer 500

Roisu
Crew

Witty Phantom

12,350 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:28 pm
Okie dokie.

I say get rid of Temple Bell and Terramorphic Expanse, and you're good to go.  
Off Topic Discussions

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff