GW having trademarked "Space Marine" in Novels as well? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tiina Brown

Friendly Sentai

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:17 pm
I don't know if anyone else has posted this here yet ... so i post this link, and see what you think about it ...

http://haikujaguar.livejournal.com/1208235.html?view=24685739#t24685739  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:46 pm
So GW is being GW again.... Yay.... stare  

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Hellraiser 500

lord-kensington

Dapper Guildsman

6,350 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:07 pm
emotion_donotwant
They can be a right shower of bastards sometimes always.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:25 pm
GW, you have alot of explaining to do to pull that stupidity off.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_marine  

Asmondai
Crew

Aged Gaian

3,625 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Orkronos

Gracious Sex Symbol

6,575 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:44 pm
Damn it GW....  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:41 am
This has to do with GW having trademarked the word "Space Marine" for gaming purposes, the whole literature side of it is a bit murky.  

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100

Angels Sonata

Fashionable Friend

7,700 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:05 pm
I just said this on another website, and I'll say it again: so far we only have one side of the argument. Where is the proof that GW have tried to trademark the term? If they had, and it did effect the writing community then there would be a huge backlash, and I'm sure the Black Library authors would have something to say.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:48 pm
I have already heard of GW doing this in the past. It is intimidation. GW has tried to intimidate anyone who comes close to their supposed IP. The problem is that so much of what GW claims is their own creation has been taken from existing material. For instance power armor, Orks, Dwarves, Chaos, the Warp, etc. This instance is probably part of the backlash from GW over the lawsuit against Chapterhouse Studios and the recent revelation that a former GW developer owns the intellectual rights to the Squats and Space Skaven although GW owns the term Squats.  

Sean King

Lonely Lunatic

13,975 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Ultimate Player 200

Van Evok

Dangerous Hunter

8,550 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:48 pm
GW at their finest, plundering Aliens (Tyranids) , Terminator (Necrons, and of course Terminators), and even introducing Sly Marbo, in a brazen reference to Stallone - but Chaos Gods forbid someone uses something they claim is THEIR IP. They need a good lawsuit spanking IMHO.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:14 am
Angels Sonata
I just said this on another website, and I'll say it again: so far we only have one side of the argument. Where is the proof that GW have tried to trademark the term? If they had, and it did effect the writing community then there would be a huge backlash, and I'm sure the Black Library authors would have something to say.
As I mentioned, GW has trademarked the term "Space Marine" for their own merchandising purposes in way, shape and form of tabletop products. The whole literature side of this trademark is somewhat murky, as novels are not part of the tabletop experience.

GW has overstepped its legal rights in my opinion and Amazon was wrong to pull the book without giving it a proper situational review.

Sean King
I have already heard of GW doing this in the past. It is intimidation. GW has tried to intimidate anyone who comes close to their supposed IP. The problem is that so much of what GW claims is their own creation has been taken from existing material. For instance power armor, Orks, Dwarves, Chaos, the Warp, etc. This instance is probably part of the backlash from GW over the lawsuit against Chapterhouse Studios and the recent revelation that a former GW developer owns the intellectual rights to the Squats and Space Skaven although GW owns the term Squats.
Squats were canned not due to intellectual rights, but rather due to the race no longer fitting into the ever evolving setting that was still growing at that time. The Squats were a joke race and while I'm sure some people want 40k to be funny, it has grown beyond its Rogue Trader roots now into something grimmer and darker, where certain things, such as the Squat, no longer readily fit. "Space Skaven" have officially been turned into the Hrud via some retconning.

Van Evok
GW at their finest, plundering Aliens (Tyranids) , Terminator (Necrons, and of course Terminators), and even introducing Sly Marbo, in a brazen reference to Stallone - but Chaos Gods forbid someone uses something they claim is THEIR IP. They need a good lawsuit spanking IMHO.
I think it was more tongue in cheek homages than blatantly ripping things off. By now, the Tyranids have evolved beyond any comparison between it and the Alien franchise, Necrons have moved beyond the obvious jokes and Guardsman Marbo is still just that, a tongue in cheek reference and homage to an endearing pop culture character.

As for suing them, who would want to do that and on what grounds? These 80's era minis look vaguely like something from a movie? These metallic skeletons are a rip-off from some movie? This character's name is an anagram of a famous part this actor played?

GW might be a small fish in the corporate pond, but they are still a money making powerhouse that can afford to go to court with people and pull out the bag of legal tricks that all corporations use to keep things going.  

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100

Sean King

Lonely Lunatic

13,975 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:25 am
You may want to check again. It was recently revealed at a trial in US Federal Court in Chicago in a lawsuit between Chapterhouse and GW. I have a lawyer friend who is obsessed with this trial and reads the minutes of the trial religeously. GW only owns the IP rights to the name not the concept. That is why Warpath has the Forgefathers and the Veer-myn. This has been a dirty little secret that GW has not wanted to discuss for years.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:32 am
Sean King
You may want to check again. It was recently revealed at a trial in US Federal Court in Chicago in a lawsuit between Chapterhouse and GW. I have a lawyer friend who is obsessed with this trial and reads the minutes of the trial religeously. GW only owns the IP rights to the name not the concept. That is why Warpath has the Forgefathers and the Veer-myn. This has been a dirty little secret that GW has not wanted to discuss for years.
Got proof?  

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Hellraiser 500

Asmondai
Crew

Aged Gaian

3,625 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:10 pm
Speaking of the devil: surprised
GW Legalwatch  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:42 am
This a direct quote from Courthousenews.com. I will also include a link. Makes for interesting reading.
GW vs. Chapter House
In its opening brief in support of its motion for summary judgment, Chapterhouse identified fifteen products for which it argues GW cannot establish ownership because freelance artists created the works. Specifically, Chapterhouse contended that nine of the individuals whom GW identified as authors of a number of relevant products—Gary Chalk, Simon Egan, Wayne England, Des Hanley, Clint Langley, Mike McVey, Bob Naismith, Adrian Smith, and Adrian Wild—were not GW employees. In response, GW stated that it “is not claiming copyright infringement of the works prepared by Gary Chalk, Des Hanley, [and] Adrian Wild.  

Sean King

Lonely Lunatic

13,975 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Ultimate Player 200

BloodyMary76

Witty Conversationalist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:42 am
They have to meet their quota of blowing smoke up people's asses for this year. Starting early?  
Guild Archives

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff