Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
After Wicca 101?? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

emmfullness

5,650 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Forum Junior 100
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:17 pm
Okay. I've been reading in on Wicca constantly for about a half year now and I've come to this dead end where it seems that most of the books written on Wicca keep covering all the same lessons like Magic Circles, Sacred Space, and what a coven is (at least the one I have access to). I swear my little head will burst if I have to read one more technique to a Magic Circle. Where exactly should an aspiring Solitary go from this point? Thus far, I've dedicated more time to practicing what I know and less to reading, but sooner or later I'm going to get the itch for more information and I was wondering if anyone would have any idea as to where I should go for it?  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:11 pm
This is a good, and recomended read:

The Second Circle: Tools for the Advancing Pagan

AingealOreiad

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:19 pm
emmfullness
Okay. I've been reading in on Wicca constantly for about a half year now and I've come to this dead end where it seems that most of the books written on Wicca keep covering all the same lessons like Magic Circles, Sacred Space, and what a coven is (at least the one I have access to).
the books can only cover so much. since wicca is a mystery bound and initiatory religion, they can only cover the outercourt, if they're covering anything wiccan at all. it's sad to admit, but most stuff that sells isn't wiccan, from what i've heard.

emmfullness
Where exactly should an aspiring Solitary go from this point?
depends what you want to be. an eclectic pagan, keep reading, try other faiths, try other religions, etc. build it yourself.

wiccan? get in touch with a local coven, cause you aren't going to become a full-fledged wiccan without them. maybe an outercourt, if the info you're getting is actually wiccan, but still not enough to say 'hey, i'm wiccan!'

emmfullness
Thus far, I've dedicated more time to practicing what I know and less to reading, but sooner or later I'm going to get the itch for more information and I was wondering if anyone would have any idea as to where I should go for it?
try some of the links i'm sure they have here, as well as in M&R. try witchvox.com...  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:57 am
emmfullness
Okay. I've been reading in on Wicca constantly for about a half year now and I've come to this dead end where it seems that most of the books written on Wicca keep covering all the same lessons like Magic Circles, Sacred Space, and what a coven is (at least the one I have access to).
Quote:
Please note that none of this is Wicca, but the Outer Court prep for Wicca. In short- you're reading Wiccan Cliff Notes.
Quote:

I swear my little head will burst if I have to read one more technique to a Magic Circle. Where exactly should an aspiring Solitary go from this point?
Well, stop calling yourself Wiccan for a start. It's inaccurate.

Next- what kind of paganism are you part of (Quick question would be what gods do you work with or consider to be your patrons, as these usually give good hints to the cultural traditions you are drawing from).

TeaDidikai

Rezorian

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:48 am
Moving beyond the basics is a problem at times. I don't think at any point you should stop reading, though. Actually, I recommend Ly De Angeles's "Witchcraft: Theory and Practice" as a good book to advance with. She is an amazing Australian witch that covers some topics you don't usually see covered (ie. Glamouring, shapeshifting, etc) She has some things in her books I would avoid (like her invisibility section. Too risky to be effective. A good "dont notice me" type spell is always more effective in comparison to energy and safety... you'd understand if you'd read it. lol).

You can try and find a group. There is something amazing in growing with people as opposed to by yourself. I've been with my Coven for about 2.5 years now, and I have grown so much! But be careful. There are some loonies out there! Be carefull with the groups you look at. Stay public.

I lost my point so I will stop here O_o lol Good luck ^_^  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:36 am
Sutekh
Moving beyond the basics is a problem at times. I don't think at any point you should stop reading, though. Actually, I recommend Ly De Angeles's "Witchcraft: Theory and Practice" as a good book to advance with. She is an amazing Australian witch that covers some topics you don't usually see covered (ie. Glamouring, shapeshifting, etc) She has some things in her books I would avoid (like her invisibility section. Too risky to be effective. A good "dont notice me" type spell is always more effective in comparison to energy and safety... you'd understand if you'd read it. lol).
I disagree with the assertion that Ly's book is "advanced", and I have a deep objection to her bastardization of Kabbalism.  

TeaDidikai

Rezorian

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:39 am
TeaDidikai
Sutekh
I disagree with the assertion that Ly's book is "advanced", and I have a deep objection to her bastardization of Kabbalism.

I cant say anything about her information on the Kabbala, because I have not studied it extensively, but her information on certain magical techniques I have found in few other places in the level of detail she puts forth. But thats the brilliance of it all: You and I can disagree and still respect each other for our beliefs. ^_^  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:12 pm
TeaDidikai
emmfullness
Quote:
Please note that none of this is Wicca, but the Outer Court prep for Wicca. In short- you're reading Wiccan Cliff Notes.
Quote:

I swear my little head will burst if I have to read one more technique to a Magic Circle. Where exactly should an aspiring Solitary go from this point?
Well, stop calling yourself Wiccan for a start. It's inaccurate.

Next- what kind of paganism are you part of (Quick question would be what gods do you work with or consider to be your patrons, as these usually give good hints to the cultural traditions you are drawing from).
I didn't call myself Wiccan. I said I was studying up on it. I've been told enough times that not being part of a 'coven' etc. makes me 'poser' Wiccan, so like hell I'd go about calling myself by that name. I swear it's like a witch-hunt for posers in here sometimes....

Anyway, I work most closely with Greek gods/goddesses, but I haven't gotten very intimitate with any single one of them. I've had even less luck with Roman dieties, and thus have stopped working with them. I figure to proceed to learn more about other pantheons, though I do feel bad that my search is taking longer than I'd have liked in this area. sweatdrop

emmfullness

5,650 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Forum Junior 100

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:14 am
emmfullness
I didn't call myself Wiccan. I said I was studying up on it. I've been told enough times that not being part of a 'coven' etc. makes me 'poser' Wiccan, so like hell I'd go about calling myself by that name. I swear it's like a witch-hunt for posers in here sometimes....

Anyway, I work most closely with Greek gods/goddesses, but I haven't gotten very intimitate with any single one of them. I've had even less luck with Roman dieties, and thus have stopped working with them. I figure to proceed to learn more about other pantheons, though I do feel bad that my search is taking longer than I'd have liked in this area. sweatdrop
What I was trying to point out was that you weren't studing Wicca. You were looking into a common Outer Court magical system.

That out of the way- if the Greco-Roman deities hold interest and influence, perhaps you should look into some source texts on the Hellenic Recon path.

Not everyone needs to dedicate to a god and not everyone will have a patron/ess in their life time. I feel that such a longing is born out of the pop-pagan bastardization of Wicca (where, upon initiation, your patrons are the Lord and Lady as you are a member of their clergy).

Some people dedicate. Some do not.

As for other Pantheons- pick a part of the world. You're bound to find a set of Gods that are not YHVH.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:51 pm
TeaDidikai

That out of the way- if the Greco-Roman deities hold interest and influence, perhaps you should look into some source texts on the Hellenic Recon path.

Another means of learning more about the Greek Theoi is at http://www.theoi.com, an excelent site full of primary quotes and images and informatin. And don't forget taht Nuri is a Hellenic Recon as am I. There is a growing group of HR's of varying degrees from strict Recon to much more ecclectic.

TeaDidikai

Not everyone needs to dedicate to a god and not everyone will have a patron/ess in their life time. I feel that such a longing is born out of the pop-pagan bastardization of Wicca (where, upon initiation, your patrons are the Lord and Lady as you are a member of their clergy).

Some people dedicate. Some do not.

It took me years of searching and not finding a 'patron' to come to the realization that not everyone has one. There has never been anything I've ver read that said you had to have one. I know many people that are dedicated to one or more gods, and just as many that feel no attaction to any god(s) moe than the others. Sure, I have a closer relationship with some gods than with others, but that's all in the nature of my job and my hobbies. For example, I enjoy needlepoint, so that leads to closer interaction with Athene as the weaver of the gods. I practically live in my car what with my commute; which leads to me paying more attention to Hermes and Hephaistos in my worship.

What I try to suggest to anyone is to worship all the gods, and develop relationships at they present thmeselves. If you find yourself with a dedicant/patron relationship, so be it. Don't force the gods or yourself.

AingealOreiad

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:13 pm
AingealOreiad

It took me years of searching and not finding a 'patron' to come to the realization that not everyone has one. There has never been anything I've ver read that said you had to have one.
There are some pretty crappy books out there that make such assertions- but I think it has a stronger root in the Neo-pagan scene.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:56 pm
TeaDidikai
AingealOreiad

It took me years of searching and not finding a 'patron' to come to the realization that not everyone has one. There has never been anything I've ver read that said you had to have one.
There are some pretty crappy books out there that make such assertions- but I think it has a stronger root in the Neo-pagan scene.

Ah, I see. I read some pretty crappy books in my day, but am proud to say I didn't get as crappy as I could have. Having come from neo-paganism is where i got my desire and 'need' for a patron. I must have tried on dozens of patrons before I just decided to forget the whole thing. My worship has become so much more functional and worthwhile since then. And that was only about a year and ahalf ago.

AingealOreiad

emmfullness

5,650 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Forum Junior 100
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:16 pm
I wasn't searching for a patron. I was searching for a pantheon that I can work closely with. Problem is, I can't work with dieties that I'm not very intimate with. Perhaps I ought to give more time to develop relationships before moving on.... I guess Gods/Goddesses can't get very close to me if I'm in such a rush. Plus, I bet it's disrespectful. Yeah. I'm pretty sure it's disrespectful.... My bad. *bows head in shame* **Owes Apollo a big apology**  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:58 pm
emmfullness
I wasn't searching for a patron. I was searching for a pantheon that I can work closely with. Problem is, I can't work with dieties that I'm not very intimate with. Perhaps I ought to give more time to develop relationships before moving on.... I guess Gods/Goddesses can't get very close to me if I'm in such a rush. Plus, I bet it's disrespectful. Yeah. I'm pretty sure it's disrespectful.... My bad. *bows head in shame* **Owes Apollo a big apology**

Honestly, don't think of yourself as rushing or being disrespectfull of the gods. Now that I have a better understanding of your goal, I highly second Tea's suggestion of learning about various pantheons. Go to the library and get mythology books--but always remember that they're translations and interpretations probably not well-based on the actual myths. Try to read primary sources when possible, or as close as you can get. For example, to get a better understanding of Hellenic gods, read Homer and Hesiod; I'm sure others can point you in the right sources for their pantheons.

Do take your time as you read and interact with the gods, but if you or they don't feel it, don't feel bad about moving on. Before I came to Hellenic polytheism, I was DETERMINED that I wanted to follow the Celtic pantheon, seeing as I'm mostly Celtic in heritage, and not Mediteranean at al--and thse were the only pantheons I was interested in. I had one powerful ritual with a Celtic god in over 10 years of various degrees of trying to develop a relationship. The mythos bored me, I couldn't understand them, and I got nothing in return for my worship. Once I began following the Theoi, everything fell into place spiritually. And that relationship is still growing.

You'll find your path and pantheon. Don't give up, and don't be afraid to be new and explore. We all come through that period, and are all willing to help.

AingealOreiad

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:31 am
emmfullness

Without this breaking down into a metagenetic's debate- perhaps a useful suggestion might be to look into the gods of your ancestors.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff