Rubai Sora

Heart Hunter

53,825 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:07 pm
User Image

So, I'm overweight (I'm like 300 lb). I've never been skinny as far as I can remember. I don't mind it that much. I mean, I would like to lose weight and I do try to, but I'm not overly upset about it.

My mom, on the other hand, makes a big thing about it. She actually says to my face I'm fat and it's disgusting. She even compares me to my cousins who are really overweight, saying I look just like them (there has got to be a 100 lb difference between me and them because they are really big). When I want to wear a certain outfit, she says no saying that it would make me look even fatter or it would look disgusting because I'm so fat. Like I want a certain style of skirt, she says I'll look like a balloon and it won't look good on me. Thing is, it's the normal style of the skirt and it kinda does that to everyone. I also have this one shirt I like, but she doesn't like me wearing it because it's not baggy on me.

Is it normal for my mom to care more about how I look more than I do? I told someone in my class this and she said it wasn't right what she was doing. What do you guys think?

Post style by PhallenPixie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:12 pm
your body. you wear what you want, especially since i'm guessing you're over sixteen.
don't let her dictate what you wear
fun fact: if you wear clothes that fit, you look thinner than if you wear baggy clothes. so i say wear nice clothes and not look like Danny Richmond!
that's a kid who was in our school, he graduated a couple of years ago. we joked that he killed the gas mileage of the bus
not nice, i know, but he didn't seem to mind
but in all seriousness, don't listen to your mom. she's just trying to kill your self-esteem

Kitalpha Hart

Feline Phantom

9,500 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Partygoer 500

Rubai Sora

Heart Hunter

53,825 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:18 pm
Kitalpha Hart
your body. you wear what you want, especially since i'm guessing you're over sixteen.
fun fact: if you wear clothes that fit, you look thinner than if you wear baggy clothes. so i say wear nice clothes and not look like Danny Richmond!
that's a kid who was in our school, he graduated a couple of years ago. we joked that he killed the gas mileage of the bus
but in all seriousness, don't listen to your mom. she's just trying to kill your self-esteem

User Image

Yeah, I'm 23. The thing with the shirt is that it's really forms to my contours, so it really shows my fat. She has actually offered to modify it so it wouldn't be so form-fitting. My dad says I look better when I dress more like a girl, but with my mom wanting me to wear baggier clothing, it's hard to look feminine.

It's hard to imagine that she's doing it on purpose. I tell her to lay off it, and she says that what she is saying is true.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:24 pm
Rubai Sora
Kitalpha Hart

User Image

Yeah, I'm 23. The thing with the shirt is that it's really forms to my contours, so it really shows my fat. She has actually offered to modify it so it wouldn't be so form-fitting. My dad says I look better when I dress more like a girl, but with my mom wanting me to wear baggier clothing, it's hard to look feminine.

It's hard to imagine that she's doing it on purpose. I tell her to lay off it, and she says that what she is saying is true.

so tell her that it's your body
and before you modify it, figure out where you want it modified and how~
my sister is chunky and short, but she manages to find clothes that look good on her
to be honest, there are things that look better on her than on me (tall and scrawny here)

Kitalpha Hart

Feline Phantom

9,500 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Partygoer 500

Rubai Sora

Heart Hunter

53,825 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:26 pm
Kitalpha Hart

my sister is chunky and short, but she manages to find clothes that look good on her
to be honest, there are things that look better on her than on me (tall and scrawny here)

User Image

I don't want to modify the shirt. I like it the way it is. I only want my shirts modified if they don't fit.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:29 pm
Rubai Sora
Kitalpha Hart

User Image

I don't want to modify the shirt. I like it the way it is. I only want my shirts modified if they don't fit.

your shirt, your decision. if you want it modified, do so. if you don't, then leave it. that's up to you, not your mom
of course, she might still think that you're six and need help getting dressed @.@
my mom still thinks that i love school (i think it's a waste of time now, but i used to love it in elementary school) and can't understand why my grade varies, but is still a far cry from the top ten

Kitalpha Hart

Feline Phantom

9,500 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Partygoer 500

Intoxikace

Sparkly Wench

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:34 pm
I think that she is just concerned about your weight and feels like if she points it out enough you will be determined to lose it.
That is not the right way for her to be going about it at all.. everyone knows that it's unhealthy to be overweight, you'd have to be an idiot to think that's healthy! You even said in your post that you would like to lose weight.

You just need to let her know that you know that you are overweight, and her pointing it out to you isn't going to help the pounds melt right off.
If anything it's stressful which is just going to not keep you motivated to eat healthy and exercise.

I don't think it's right. I can understand her being concerned about your weight/health, but calling you fat and disgusting? That's not right.
You are an adult, you can make your own choices about your body and what you decide to wear.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:41 pm
Kitalpha Hart
your shirt, your decision. if you want it modified, do so. if you don't, then leave it. that's up to you, not your mom
of course, she might still think that you're six and need help getting dressed @.@
my mom still thinks that i love school (i think it's a waste of time now, but i used to love it in elementary school) and can't understand why my grade varies, but is still a far cry from the top ten

User Image

That's the problem with parents. When it's covenant for them, they want you to be more adult. Otherwise, they treat you like a kid!

Rubai Sora

Heart Hunter

53,825 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Magical Girl 50

HimeFiveCents

Overcharged Smoker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:45 pm
Wow! Was your mom fat as a girl? Or had weight issues herself? It really sounds like she's taking it way more personal than she should! I mean right its your body! If you don't feel so terrible about it why is it that she feels she needs to make you? Hm, ask her that! Really ask her "Mom, what do you get out of trying to make me feel like crap all the time?" Then if she says somethng like I'm only telling the truth be like "well, the truth is its really none of your business!" Ask why its so important that YOU be skinny. Maybe she sees herself in you and wanted to be skinny so she's basically going off on herself and her "failures" or maybe someone put it in her head skinny is the thing and if your not that you're disgusting. Maybe a big person was mean to her!? Could be some crazy thing! But it really sounds like she's got some issues there with image and its her deal that she's taking out on you because she can.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:46 pm
Intoxikace
I think that she is just concerned about your weight and feels like if she points it out enough you will be determined to lose it.
That is not the right way for her to be going about it at all.. everyone knows that it's unhealthy to be overweight, you'd have to be an idiot to think that's healthy! You even said in your post that you would like to lose weight.

You just need to let her know that you know that you are overweight, and her pointing it out to you isn't going to help the pounds melt right off.
If anything it's stressful which is just going to not keep you motivated to eat healthy and exercise.

I don't think it's right. I can understand her being concerned about your weight/health, but calling you fat and disgusting? That's not right.
You are an adult, you can make your own choices about your body and what you decide to wear.

User Image

It's not only I would like to, but I am trying. I'm actually eating less, but it's still not helping. I'm also walking more than I used to, but because of the cold, I'm limited due to my joints hurting.

You have no clue how upset it makes me every time she points it out. It's really hurtful. I guess I'll just have to tell her flat out what I feel when she says that next time.

Rubai Sora

Heart Hunter

53,825 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Magical Girl 50

Kitalpha Hart

Feline Phantom

9,500 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:47 pm
Rubai Sora
Kitalpha Hart

User Image

That's the problem with parents. When it's covenant for them, they want you to be more adult. Otherwise, they treat you like a kid!

i know. and then they get grandchildren and hopefully get off your back to spoil them~  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:50 pm
Kitalpha Hart
i know. and then they get grandchildren and hopefully get off your back to spoil them~

User Image

That and they'll have to admit you are an adult.

Thing is, I'm my parent's youngest and it was by pure chance they had me. In a way, I was pretty much their grandchild since they were in their 40's (people even thought I was their grandchild, even just a few years ago).

Rubai Sora

Heart Hunter

53,825 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Magical Girl 50

Rubai Sora

Heart Hunter

53,825 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Nerd 50
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:54 pm
Dagera
Wow! Was your mom fat as a girl? Or had weight issues herself? It really sounds like she's taking it way more personal than she should! I mean right its your body! If you don't feel so terrible about it why is it that she feels she needs to make you? Hm, ask her that! Really ask her "Mom, what do you get out of trying to make me feel like crap all the time?" Then if she says somethng like I'm only telling the truth be like "well, the truth is its really none of your business!" Ask why its so important that YOU be skinny. Maybe she sees herself in you and wanted to be skinny so she's basically going off on herself and her "failures" or maybe someone put it in her head skinny is the thing and if your not that you're disgusting. Maybe a big person was mean to her!? Could be some crazy thing! But it really sounds like she's got some issues there with image and its her deal that she's taking out on you because she can.

User Image

Actually, she was really skinny before she married my dad. They used to call her Chinese Bamboo, not just because she's half Chinese, but because she was tall and skinny. She also grew up in the Philippines in the poor area, so there weren't really any fat people.

I think it's because she doesn't want me to look like my cousins. She just thinks it looks disgusting, yet she's given up with my dad who is 400 lb.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:55 pm
Y'know, you should just do what you wanna do, wear what you wanna wear, and just be happy. Don't care about what anyone says because in the end, you are just you. What's the point in changing yourself for the approval of others if it means you can't just be you? Stay strong, love. heart  

I Love Bad Puns

Friendly Shapeshifter

HimeFiveCents

Overcharged Smoker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:06 pm
Rubai Sora

Ahhh, so she grew up in an area where fat people basically weren't present. That actually explains a lot! There were no fatness. No over indulging. Everything was worked for and living was hard. Now she's in an area where its all spoils! Everything is dispensable. Wouldn't that kind of difference mess with your mentality? Maybe she was taught you only take what you absolutely need and anything else is unacceptable, maybe she got punished for eating more or something and got the idea early on that overeating is bad/disgusting. Therefor fat people disgusting. Since she can't control her husband or your cousins she's going after you. She's still not right. But at least there's a little insight into why she's says such cruel things.  
24. ✿ - - - Life Issues

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff