Atheism 101 - A learning and discussion thread Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Shimo Kousetsu

Snuggly Blob

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:59 pm
I know what you're thinking. "This is the religion subforum, get out!" I do, however, think that this is the best place for this thread.

My intent is to dispel some common misconceptions about atheism from people of all religions and to explain what it is and why people are atheists or agnostics. I'm fully prepared to answer any questions that I can! Do, however, keep it respectful in here; I mean no harm or disrespect to any religion you may adhere to, so please, if you feel the need to lash out at me for not agreeing with you, do so over PMs.

I plan on using this post to answer a few basic questions that often crop up, and then wait for new questions. I'd love to hear from atheists and religious people alike. This is not, however, a place to rant about how your religious friend is a fool, or that this atheist you know is a terrible person. This forum's rules state that it is a positive environment. Again, if you have problems with this, PM me and I'll gladly talk with you privately.

What is atheism?
Atheism is a lack of belief in any deity or deities. It is not an anti-religious stance, it is a simple lack of belief. Atheists are not "devil worshipers" or "Satanists," they don't believe in that sort of thing. And please, don't ever tell an atheist they're going to Hell. You'll probably just get laughed at; why should we be afraid of something that we don't think exists?

What about agnostic atheists?
Agnosticism is its own thing; there can be agnostic atheists and agnostic theists, as well as gnostic atheists and gnostic theists. Agnosticism is simply admitting that you don't know something for certain.
This is a convenient chart that helps to explain agnostic and gnostic views of religion. Atheism is not cut-and-dry black-and-white. Maybe you think you know what is true, maybe you can admit that nothing can be proven.

Why would someone choose to be atheist?
It's not always a choice. Sometimes people just think "well, that doesn't make too much sense. Science says this and that, and it's been proven. Let's believe in what we can prove," or one day they just realize that they don't believe what their parents have told them. Other people do choose atheism over a religion, and their reasons vary as well.

You can't prove there's no God. Why believe that?
And you can't prove there is one. It's often put on the atheist to supply proof in religious debates; when this happens to me I suggest that they look up Russell's teapot, which is basically an analogy saying that the person claiming something that cannot be proven should look for proof rather than say that the other party is responsible for the proof. I'd rather not get into arguments based on "proof" for or against a deity's existence, simply because the only argument I usually hear is that I can't prove there is no God.

How can you have morals without believing ______?
This question can honestly be offensive. I usually counter by asking if they would have morals if they'd never been exposed to religion. Is your religion the only thing keeping you from murdering, stealing, and raping? If the answer is no, then that's how atheists have morals. Some things are just wrong. Questions like these that attack us as people are better kept to PMs, even if they're just curious, as they can be offensive and perceived as very rude.

--your question here!--
Bring on the questions and comments! Remember to keep this forum a non-confrontational and a pleasant place, please! PM me if you truly feel the need to lash out or debate your religion with me.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:14 pm
Thanks for this. I was raised Catholic, but I have become convinced that there is no God; certainly not the one the majority of Christians claim to believe in.

As George Carlin said:

Quote:
If -if- there is a God, It has to be a man. No woman could or would ******** things up this way!

Isis Sister Of Osiris

Lonely Girl

15,250 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Cash Grabber 500

Shimo Kousetsu

Snuggly Blob

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:17 pm
Gigi Deveraux
That's a Carlin quote I haven't heard before! And certainly appropriate for a girls' guild. ;D

I was raised somewhat Christian, but not really; the church we went to is a very pleasant one; a large portion of the members are gay or lesbian, and the church is very welcoming and accepting. I'm not sure why I turned away from Christianity, maybe it was just because it was never truly hammered into me. I finally came out as an atheist when I was about to go through with confirmation; I just couldn't get that deep into lying about it.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:47 am
This is a very convenient post! I myself am an agnostic atheist. Like your post, I really hate it when people think that the nonreligious are essentially untamed beasts (lol, that's the best way I can put it xD). I was raised in a good family—that's why I have good morals. smile  

Oblivious Anarchy

Fashionable Poster

7,700 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Citizen 200

Shimo Kousetsu

Snuggly Blob

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:16 am
Oblivious Anarchy
I honestly think it's a bit silly when people assume that atheists are lawless moral-less people. I would really hope that they could see right from wrong without their religion. And usually I'm sure they can; they just take their religion as a characteristic of themselves rather than something that they believe (that's a hard to explain statement. Uh. Like grouping their religion with their physical traits and other things that are themselves rather than with psychological and belief traits; "I'm __ years old, I go to _____ for school, and I am Christian," rather than "I believe in Jesus, I believe that ____ is a good thing, etc.").  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:25 am
Shimo Kousetsu
I get what you mean. emo //Completely agree.  

Oblivious Anarchy

Fashionable Poster

7,700 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Citizen 200

StrayKit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:35 pm
i actually have a couple friends who are agnostic and my younger brother is athiest, and a lot of other people i've met who are one or the other are some of the nicest and coolest people i've met since they don't use religion to justify things. of course i've met pleanty of religious people who are the same way but athiests and agnostics really shouldn't get all the hate people seem to have for them, they're people just like the rest of us, if they're not sure about or don't believe in a diety who cares? it certianly doesn't make you immoral or some horrible human being  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:24 pm
Thanks for posting this. I have no problem with anyone of any religion or non-religion as long as they aren't trying to force their beliefs on me or others.

I struggled for a long time to figure out what I believe in... not a pleasant experience to be completely honest and for a long time I think I was leaning towards agnosticism or atheism. In the end, as long as you are happy with who you are and what you believe I say good for you! razz

I think its important that everyone in the world get along regardless of what they believe or don't believe...until then what kind of people are we really? I've seen people of various religions torment, torture, or turn away from others (sometimes others in need) because said person refused to believe what the other person thought they should...and that's just not right.... in the end we are all just human beings trying to survive this thing we've been plopped down into with no say so whatsoever called life...er sorry for my semi-off topic rant...  

The_9th_Doctors_Rose
Crew

Doting Sweetheart

12,200 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Millionaire 200

SkyEvermore

Loyal Sweetheart

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:32 pm
I was technically raised as a Christian (baptist), though I didn't fully understand it until my freshman year. I never believed atheists were devil-worshipers or anything, because I know they don't believe in it. I can see why people would want proof, and it'd be nice to see some myself, but it's just about faith, believing in something you can't physically see.

Lots of people claim to be "Christians," but in reality, they may most likely have no idea what they're talking about. We have no right to judge others no matter what they do. It's all about love.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:36 pm
RainbowPop26
Thanks for posting this. I have no problem with anyone of any religion or non-religion as long as they aren't trying to force their beliefs on me or others.

I struggled for a long time to figure out what I believe in... not a pleasant experience to be completely honest and for a long time I think I was leaning towards agnosticism or atheism. In the end, as long as you are happy with who you are and what you believe I say good for you! razz

I think its important that everyone in the world get along regardless of what they believe or don't believe...until then what kind of people are we really? I've seen people of various religions torment, torture, or turn away from others (sometimes others in need) because said person refused to believe what the other person thought they should...and that's just not right.... in the end we are all just human beings trying to survive this thing we've been plopped down into with no say so whatsoever called life...er sorry for my semi-off topic rant...

If I could, I would tip this 3nodding

I totally agree. We shouldn't turn away from someone just because they have different beliefs.  

SkyEvermore

Loyal Sweetheart

Shimo Kousetsu

Snuggly Blob

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:52 pm
I'm very glad that some people are enjoying this thread. (: I was rather worried to post it at first, honestly.

SkyEvermore
It really is about faith; I personally can't believe in something that can't or won't prove itself to me or the world. As for the "it's all about love," thing, I disagree; the Bible is full of terrible things. One of the greatest components of my atheism is refusing to believe in a god that is as cruel as Yahweh. I'm a huge advocate of Christians turning their faith into a loving and caring one, but either they follow the wrong parts of the Bible or completely ignore the terrible things said in it. Reading the Bible thoroughly is painful just because of how many cruel things are done by the god in it. I love the people who are able to take positive things from it, but not if they can't see the negatives as well.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:14 pm
Shimo Kousetsu
It really is about faith; I personally can't believe in something that can't or won't prove itself to me or the world. As for the "it's all about love," thing, I disagree; the Bible is full of terrible things. One of the greatest components of my atheism is refusing to believe in a god that is as cruel as Yahweh. I'm a huge advocate of Christians turning their faith into a loving and caring one, but either they follow the wrong parts of the Bible or completely ignore the terrible things said in it. Reading the Bible thoroughly is painful just because of how many cruel things are done by the god in it. I love the people who are able to take positive things from it, but not if they can't see the negatives as well.

It is full of bad things, but I've come to believe that everything happens for a reason. It has just as much very good things. A lot of things don't make sense, but I think it's best not to question it. Bad things happen because of sin, but even Jesus never sinned and he made the ultimate sacrifice.  

SkyEvermore

Loyal Sweetheart

Shimo Kousetsu

Snuggly Blob

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:19 pm
SkyEvermore
Shimo Kousetsu

It is full of bad things, but I've come to believe that everything happens for a reason. It has just as much very good things. A lot of things don't make sense, but I think it's best not to question it. Bad things happen because of sin, but even Jesus never sinned and he made the ultimate sacrifice.
I'm afraid that if I get into a debate here the topic will get closed. .-. But, is it really a sacrifice if he's part of God already and isn't actually dead? If he knew he was dying anyways?  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:30 pm
Shimo Kousetsu
SkyEvermore
Shimo Kousetsu

I'm afraid that if I get into a debate here the topic will get closed. .-. But, is it really a sacrifice if he's part of God already and isn't actually dead? If he knew he was dying anyways?

Sorry o_o; I'm not trying to come across that way.
He did know he was dying, but he did it out of love for us. And he was all human, so it was a sacrifice. He did die, and he rose again three days later. Instead of going through the church, we can now talk to God directly through Jesus.  

SkyEvermore

Loyal Sweetheart

Isis Sister Of Osiris

Lonely Girl

15,250 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Cash Grabber 500
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:44 pm
SkyEvermore
A lot of things don't make sense, but I think it's best not to question it.

This is exactly what drives me nuts about religion in general. "Don't question it!"

Sorry, but I'm not a sheep. I don't follow blindly just because I'm told to. on the contrary, when I'm told to not question, it makes me question even more.

There's 20,000 reasons I'm an atheist now; that's just a couple of them.

SkyEvermore
Bad things happen because of sin, but even Jesus never sinned and he made the ultimate sacrifice.

Bad things don't happen because of sin, sweetie. Jesus offered himself as the ultimate old-fashioned bloody sacrifice to delete everyone's sins, past, present and future. Therefore, everyone born ever since, believer or not, is in a state of grace. What you do with your life is up to you, but it's not "sin" that's the cause.

Bad things happen for three reasons: natural causes (what the religious call "Acts of God); unfortunate coincidence; and people.  
32. ✿ - - - Religious Haven

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff