The Official Gaian Home of Tabletop Gaming 

Tags: Games Workshop, Tabletop, Warhammer, Gaming, Wargaming 

Reply Painting and Modelling Discussion
Third party bits and miniatures Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Is it OK to use third party bits and kits in your army?
  Absolutely!
  Sometimes.
  Never.
View Results

Sean King

Lonely Lunatic

13,975 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:29 am
I am curious if you think it is alright to use Third Party miniatures and bits to flesh out your army, or does everything have to be 100% GW made?  
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 12:49 pm
I'm okay with it, the only big no-no's are GW stores and official GW events it seems for obvious reasons. Some of those third-party companies are or were in some cases the only ones providing kits or parts for certain army or unit options.

And to be perfectly honest, third party and or aftermarket kits are a welcome addition to the hobby, at least to me, a veteran who has seen it all before by now.  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

notmuch_23

Lonely Conventioneer

17,525 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 5:54 pm
I support non-GW minis and bits 250%! Not only does it provide variety to the gamers who want it (like me), and sometimes can cost less than the GW minis (looking at you, Wargames Factory). I already have two Bane Wolves made from 1/35th scale Panzerkampfwagen II models, which are still clearly identifiable as Panzerkampfwagen IIs, since I did little to alter their appearance.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:12 am
Personally I'm against the use of actual scale model kits in wargames, especially those without extensive conversion. However, this is a personal opinion and not the word of God. It just annoys me that some bloke used to plop down his dads tank collection and said it was his armoured company. So cheap! talk2hand

I'm on the fence when it comes to alternate choices for models, as some companies put an awful lot of effort into things, while others are just looking for a quick cash-in by shamelessly ripping off Games Workshop with cheap knock-offs or rather poorly named copies of the real deal.

I do however encourage more companies to release conversion kits, upgrade packs and accessories, whether Games Workshop likes it or not. Resin bases? Yes please! The same goes for etched brass detailing, push-moulds for fur cloaks, alternate heads and so on.

I just wish GW would embrace it.  

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:41 am
I remember this pro-painter who took a Challenger tank, put a Space Marine cupola on top, painted it to great standard and called it a day. Pass. talk2hand

That said though, I have no problem with scale model kits being pressed into service for games, just so long as they are suitably converted or adapted to blend in with the rest of the range. The main problem though with 1:35 and 1:48 kits is that the weapons and other components will look awfully flimsy, especially when put alongside heroic scale models and vehicles. Though as long as the models are nicely painted up to blend in with the rest of the army, you won't hear me complain.

Thing is, 3rd party models are something of a must when you want to play some of GW's games that should not be mentioned, ever. Like Necromunda, Mordheim and Inquisitor. The rules are there for the taking, along with a few models, but to make things really fun and exciting, you need more models, something GW won't do. And what of Battlefleet Gothic and to a lesser extent, the ship combat component found in Rogue Trader? There are a few space themed games out there with the same format of ships and whatnot, excellent additions to a game that GW refuses to support.

Echoing above, GW needs to get on with the program. Model kit manufacturers certainly embrace the 3rd party upgrade and detailing kits, why not GW? Because they think they lose money, the sods. rolleyes  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:21 pm
notmuch_23
I support non-GW minis and bits 250%! Not only does it provide variety to the gamers who want it (like me), and sometimes can cost less than the GW minis (looking at you, Wargames Factory). I already have two Bane Wolves made from 1/35th scale Panzerkampfwagen II models, which are still clearly identifiable as Panzerkampfwagen IIs, since I did little to alter their appearance.
I'm with you on this one; having someone making something that can be used for your own rules should provide competition, not a target to sue. However, I think that third-party companies should keep their own stuff unique enough that they're not just blatant rip-offs. That kind of crap doesn't show creativity and being a third-party demands creativity. Without it, you die out quickly because people are just going to buy from the main producer of the game.
If someone made Space Marine-esque units that are themed as the extremely obscure Legions, then I could understand.  

Asmusei

Sean King

Lonely Lunatic

13,975 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:25 pm
Most of what I have purchased myself are neat bits for customisation of my Marines and vehicles like a cool wings for an assault marine, unique weapons like chain swords and power swords. A lot of what I have are bits to make Pre-Heresy versions of Marines and vehicles. The designs come from the Visions of Heresy art book from Black Library, but for some reason GW does not make any of the kits. I have multiple jet bikes that are featured, many, many different heads, different jump packs too. The coolest thing I have found is a company that makes 3 different sized tracks(Chimera, Land Raider, Baneblade) the track come in 3 to 4 different styles, all of which are former track styles from GW that are no longer used. I have used stuff from Maximini, Kromlech, Chapter House Studios, Puppets War, and Blood and Skull Industry.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:10 am
I see no problem with using alternatives. To an extent you should stick with GW range, yeah, imo. Like someone mentioned using an army of airfix tanks isn't good.

But converting or using other company's minis for certain things, fine.
I will be using Veer-myn space rats as Globadiers. I refuse to pay £7.20 for a single mini that GW insist I have at least five of to use.  

Marcus McFlufferson

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:09 am
Marcus McFlufferson
I will be using Veer-myn space rats as Globadiers. I refuse to pay £7.20 for a single mini that GW insist I have at least five of to use.
Chances are Mantic will re-purpose their space rats as Fantasy rats before the year is over. xp  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:51 am
Well as far as tanks counting as, I'd say 'real', scale models, of real life tanks, with tinier details.. are somehow cheaper than GW products.

Whatever.

I do think they should be converted to fit the game's sci-fi theme, or at least have an army to fit their them. Sure, why not have a WWII era Imperial Guard army? I mean the Imperium is full of planets with varying levels of technology being pressed into service.

As far as using other models in general as long as they fit the theme I'm fine with it. I try to steer clear of using an army from an entirely different range if possible though. for example: If I'm using tanks from a completely different range, I'd try to use infantry from the game's range, or vice versa. It's not really about supporting the model manufacturer, but because I want people to see my army and have a good idea what it is and for what system it's for.

Having models that completely kill the mood can ruin other's fun.  

BloodyMary76

Witty Conversationalist

Marcus McFlufferson

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:15 am
Lt. Brookman
Marcus McFlufferson
Chances are Mantic will re-purpose their space rats as Fantasy rats before the year is over. xp

I hope so. They've proven they can do some good stuff, as you well know. Plus it might push GW to get their arses in gear and do some more Skaven stuff.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:07 am
Marcus McFlufferson
Lt. Brookman
Marcus McFlufferson

I hope so. They've proven they can do some good stuff, as you well know. Plus it might push GW to get their arses in gear and do some more Skaven stuff.
GW is mostly blind to the competition, they pretty much mind their own business. If you really want to help Mantic, check out their Kickstarter. wink  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

Asmusei

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:06 pm
STFU and Color
Sure, why not have a WWII era Imperial Guard army? I mean the Imperium is full of planets with varying levels of technology being pressed into service.
I'm fairly certain that the only advances they actually have are biological augmetics, power cells, and plasma-based weaponry. Hell, in the realm of vehicle design, our current tanks are way better than the Imperium will ever get to be.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:13 pm
Asmusei
STFU and Color
Sure, why not have a WWII era Imperial Guard army? I mean the Imperium is full of planets with varying levels of technology being pressed into service.
I'm fairly certain that the only advances they actually have are biological augmetics, power cells, and plasma-based weaponry. Hell, in the realm of vehicle design, our current tanks are way better than the Imperium will ever get to be.

Tanks.

You're welcome.  

BloodyMary76

Witty Conversationalist

Asmusei

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:27 pm
STFU and Color
Asmusei
STFU and Color

Tanks.

You're welcome.
I fail to see the point in correcting me on one little character. This is Gaia, after all.  
Painting and Modelling Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff