DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:45 pm
Come here to discuss the Chaos Warriors of fantasy base Warhammer.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:15 am
DarkElf27

might wanna change this to "hordes of chaos". anyway, a friend of mine is gonna start chaos. i myself play chaos and though that starting with the warriors box would be best, convert 1 to general and play a small game when done. him liking the shining knights that will proberly be next, but i was thinking, what after that? Now i myself play chaos (slaanesh!!!) but he is going to play daemon heavy mortal army of undived... i think.... or mortal heavy daemon army of undivided...well you get the point.

whats ure specs at aring?  

Seraphine-Exalted

Traitor Jacknife

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:36 pm
This is the one i can't agruee with you SE because i know nothing about them.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:31 am
Seraphine-Exalted
DarkElf27

might wanna change this to "hordes of chaos". anyway, a friend of mine is gonna start chaos. i myself play chaos and though that starting with the warriors box would be best, convert 1 to general and play a small game when done. him liking the shining knights that will proberly be next, but i was thinking, what after that? Now i myself play chaos (slaanesh!!!) but he is going to play daemon heavy mortal army of undived... i think.... or mortal heavy daemon army of undivided...well you get the point.

Yes you're right blaugh i'm going further with the big baaad knights, but i don;t know what to do after that so i really need some kind of help.... So if anyone in here could help me that would really be cool ^-^
I can use all the help there is because i'm a beginner sweatdrop  

Withered-Waste

Seraphine-Exalted

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:46 am
Withered-Waste
Seraphine-Exalted
DarkElf27

Yes you're right blaugh i'm going further with the big baaad knights, but i don;t know what to do after that so i really need some kind of help.... So if anyone in here could help me that would really be cool ^-^

well first a couple of things, first off i would start to try and get 500 points of mortals (cheap, fast, and good painting try out) this would be something like 12 warriors 5 knights and a general, maybe something like a spawn or something but that depends if your gonna upgrade stuff, or just rely on their base strenghts. Game wise, i would advise not upgrading, so you can have more, although when you have 12 warriors and 5 knights, you can already start to play using a unit champion as aspiring / exalted champion.

now i know your going to play daemon heavy, so after you have this, i would take a unit of standard foot troop daemons, if you play undivided, it would be bloodletters (khorne) otherwise just the availeble daemons to your chosen god. at this moment you would still play mortal and your next choice affects what you get next.

around this time you should of played many a game, so you can decide werther you want more speed or more stack. in the first place take some daemonic cavalry, otherwise take more daemonic foot troops, i would advise non bloodthirsters, so you get some differance in kind of troops. i would take either horrors, for their spellcasting abilities, or for fast screamers or mounted daemonettes.

after this, its time to get a daemonic general, you can buy the standard daemon prince, but i find it to suck, plus converting a daemon prince is great opertunity. basic convertions would be using the 40k daemon prince, and give him wings, but its really up to you. convertions for daemon princes are almost unlimited, but remember, he has to be mounted on a 40mm base, and has to have wings (or some other sort of thing that allows him to leap or something equal to flying) Now you should have something around 1000 pts, and expending would just be adding what you like and or need.

this should be sufficiant for a start

regards

FOR THE GODS OF CHAOS!!!  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:51 am
Seraphine-Exalted
Withered-Waste
Seraphine-Exalted
DarkElf27

well first a couple of things, first off i would start to try and get 500 points of mortals (cheap, fast, and good painting try out) this would be something like 12 warriors 5 knights and a general, maybe something like a spawn or something but that depends if your gonna upgrade stuff, or just rely on their base strenghts. Game wise, i would advise not upgrading, so you can have more, although when you have 12 warriors and 5 knights, you can already start to play using a unit champion as aspiring / exalted champion.

now i know your going to play daemon heavy, so after you have this, i would take a unit of standard foot troop daemons, if you play undivided, it would be bloodletters (khorne) otherwise just the availeble daemons to your chosen god. at this moment you would still play mortal and your next choice affects what you get next.

around this time you should of played many a game, so you can decide werther you want more speed or more stack. in the first place take some daemonic cavalry, otherwise take more daemonic foot troops, i would advise non bloodthirsters, so you get some differance in kind of troops. i would take either horrors, for their spellcasting abilities, or for fast screamers or mounted daemonettes.

after this, its time to get a daemonic general, you can buy the standard daemon prince, but i find it to suck, plus converting a daemon prince is great opertunity. basic convertions would be using the 40k daemon prince, and give him wings, but its really up to you. convertions for daemon princes are almost unlimited, but remember, he has to be mounted on a 40mm base, and has to have wings (or some other sort of thing that allows him to leap or something equal to flying) Now you should have something around 1000 pts, and expending would just be adding what you like and or need.

this should be sufficiant for a start

regards

FOR THE GODS OF CHAOS!!!

Thanks dude... i think this will help indeed.. I'll copy this post into my computer and i will get to work a.s.a.p... now only to find a job (stupid a-hole parents ><) and buy my warrior box ^^  

Withered-Waste

Jerhien

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:52 am
I'll try to be as helpful as possible. I play a Slaaneshi based chaos army, but I've had a lot of experience both with and against chaos in all it's myriad forms, so maybe I can give you some advice as you're starting out.
Warhammer is a game that is won in the army, not in how ridiculously mean your characters are made. Try not to take gigantic units of knights with tooled out characters or you're going to get very frustrated when you come up against someone who knows how to play the game and runs circles around them.
Also I know the deamons look cool as heck, but they're REALLY hard to play with. The way they go *bamf* and disapear when you start losing combat can really kill you. I've been playing for a long time, and I honestly feel that the deamon heavy army is one of the hardest armies in the game to play...of course if you're hearts set on it, go for it by all means.
My advice as far as army composition would be to take a LOT of chaos Warriors. If you have the money, taking marauders in LARGE units is a great way to flesh out your army with some really cheap models that you can give flails (great weapons I think) and can pack some punch on the charge, as well as defend the vulnerable flanks of your chaos warriors.
When I've played the army I've always liked to have a unit of 10 chaos hounds as well, they're nice for flank charging and they can recieve rank bonuses as well, so they're pretty handy at like 5 points per model I think.
Chaos Knights are undoubtedly one of the best heavy Cavalry units in the game, but be careful with them, they're really pricey points-wise and a cannon or bolt thrower can make short work of them. A nice tactic for them is to make a screen of gors/ungors (A beasts of chaos unit that would count as a special choice if you played a mortal army) to soak up missile fire while they advance. They skirmish so your enemy won't be able to see the Knights behind them at all.
As for deamons, well it depends on what mark you go with, or if you go undivided what flavor of game you like. If you want brute killing power Bloodletters are for you, if you want a unit that's going to make your enemy wary and unsure of your battle plans (I love throwing people off center) You'll probably want to use screamers. The other deamons are all VERY useful in different ways, as are the beast units available to you.
The important thing to keep in mind is how many points you're spending per model, a unit should never really cost more then like 350 points, and if you're not killing at least it's point value per game you'll probably want to remove it. Again I recommend marauders to flesh out the numbers of your armies and provide meat shields, but remember the ARE only marauders and unless you have 20 or more in a unit they might not hold up to the strain of heated battle. I'm sure there's more I should be telling you, but if you have any questions as you're playing just ask and I'll do my best to help you out!

Jerhien Irsei
Nathan Blackmer  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:11 am
can i have some specs for my 2000 pts list?

Unnamed2000 Pts - Chaos Army

1 Exalted Chaos Sorcerer @ 309 Pts
Mark of Chaos Undivided; General; Magic Level 3; Chaos Armour; Barding
Dispel Scroll [25]
Dispel Scroll [25]

1 Chaos Steed @ [0] Pts

>cheapest and most effective mortal undivided general

1 Exalted Chaos Champion @ 162 Pts
Mark of Slaanesh; Chaos Armour; Shield

1 Steed of Slaanesh @ [40] Pts

>with his speed, and teamed with the flying daemon, i can redeploy real fast, have max manouvre etc.

1 Exalted Daemon @ 360 Pts
Mark of Slaanesh; Magic Level 2; Lore of Slaanesh
Soporific Musk [30]

>2 reasons for this guy, more speed etc, slaanesh magic takes manouvrebility, and hes just f00king cool

4 Chosen Chaos Knights of Pleasure @ 285 Pts
Mark of Slaanesh; Barding; Chosen Unit; Shield; Standard

1 Champion @ [20] Pts

5 Chaos Steed @ [0] Pts
>speed and ignoring psycholigy... hmmmmm

3 Chaos Knights @ 172 Pts
Mark of Chaos Undivided; Barding; Heavy Armour; Shield; Standard

1 Champion @ [20] Pts

4 Chaos Steed @ [0] Pts

>more speed AND more knights

11 Chaos Warriors of Pleasure @ 248 Pts
Mark of Slaanesh; 2ndWeapon; Heavy Armour; Standard

1 Champion @ [12] Pts

>who can say no to 9 s4 attacks per combat (plus i wanna have em to convert em)

11 Chaos Warriors @ 222 Pts
Mark of Chaos Undivided; Halberd; Heavy Armour; Standard; Musician

1 Champion @ [12] Pts

>they stay strong and adapteble, S5 attacks is a charm

3 Screamers of Tzeentch @ 99 Pts

>more speed

5 Mounted Daemonettes @ 150 Pts

5 Mount @ [0] Pts

MORE speed

Casting Pool: 7

Dispel Pool: 5

Models in Army: 46

Total Army Cost: 2007

be harsh please  

Seraphine-Exalted

Jerhien

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:58 am
I'll try and help out if I can...

You've got a solid idea for your force already, you like speed obviously and manueverability is an awesome bonus... what I would suggest would be to consolidate your chaos warriors into one big block of twenty (chaos knights are core, right? that way you'd have your three core taken care of) and take another unit of daemonette cavalry. I'd probably ditch the deamon prince, they ARE cool but they're way too pricey...especially when you could hae a sorceror mounted on a steed of slaanesh for less points and be more effective with it. I'd use the one big unit of warriors in the center of the board to draw out the enemy (people are really frightened of how elite the chaos warriors are, and you can use that to unnerve your enemy...especially when it's a block of twenty of them marching down the battlefield) and having it be flanked on boths sides by a unit of chaos knights and then a unit of deamonettes will give you a LOT of manueverability and striking power. make sure all of your wizards are slaaneshi and if anything gets too close use the "oh look, a pizza!" spell and make his units go running off in the other directions, so you can flank and break his units.

Army list brakedown

I'd make the Exalted Sorceror lvl 4, and keep the dispel scrolls they're always a good Idea
The hero on the steed of slaanesh is another good idea, use him to bolster the strength of your mounted daemonette units and your flank charges will hit REALLY hard.
I really feel you'de be better off with two lvl 2 sorcerors of slaanesh then the deamon...but of course it's your army so do what makes it fun for you!
Chosen chaos knights rock, buy them the standard that gives them soporific musk and watch your enemy scream when he realizes he need 5's to hit you and you hit before his swordsmasters in initiative order. mwuahahaha.
like I said make one big unit of knights, these ones are really small, and kind of a waste.
You might not be able to afford (points wise) 20 chosen on foot, but you can still convert them and make them look really cool.
Screamers = very yes. always keep your opponent on his toes, and screamers are awesome at that.

I hope the advice helps, if you have any questions post them! how many games have you played with your chaos army so far? Are they doing well for you?  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:00 am
I meant one big unit of warriors! sorry for the typo, leave the knights in there units.  

Jerhien

Seraphine-Exalted

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:06 am
Jerhien
I meant one big unit of warriors! sorry for the typo, leave the knights in there units.

well, i did have rapturous standard at first, but i came up with to much points, as for the daemon, i just want one blaugh . i think im gonna ditch the screamers, and reinforce the undivided block to 20 models, i dunno about the lord yet, mounting him would do reallly well, but i could also replace him for a cheaper counterpart and add a giant.... hmmmz. ill just playtest it like this:

(have to work out list, will give in a moment stare )

anyway youve been a help, thanx

EDIT: hmmmz im somewhat tempted to ditch the lord and replace him with a bray shaman lvl 2 with 2 scrolls,
add 8 models to one unit of warriors, make them chosen, cast luxerious torment on them and see my opponents horror as i hit him with 20 A4 warriors with armoursafe 4+  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:35 pm
good idea, numbers are VITAL, and beastmen ROCK (one of my favorite mordhiem warbands as well lol)  

Jerhien

greqrg

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:53 pm
shouldnt chaos dwarves and demons go in this thread too? they dont seem like big enough armies to have their owns threads.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:01 am
greqrg
shouldnt chaos dwarves and demons go in this thread too? they dont seem like big enough armies to have their owns threads.

all have different army books, you cant even mix chaos dwarves with the others. and like DE said before, he maid threads for each army, hence the different posts  

Seraphine-Exalted

Age of Sigmar Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 9 10 11 12 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces