Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.
The Monarchy Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 10 11 12 13 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Boolean Julian
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:09 pm
I know, they get a lot of stick, but I just love them. They do sod all, they make complete arses of themselves in front of the media, they're a public joke - they're just fantastic. It made my week when Prince Harry dressed up as a Nazi. I mean, what a fool. Surely he knows that he's going to get stick for doing practically anything? I mean, who can't laugh at them. No one takes them seriously.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:14 pm
whapcapn
I know, they get a lot of stick, but I just love them. They do sod all, they make complete arses of themselves in front of the media, they're a public joke - they're just fantastic. It made my week when Prince Harry dressed up as a Nazi. I mean, what a fool. Surely he knows that he's going to get stick for doing practically anything? I mean, who can't laugh at them. No one takes them seriously.

At least they drag in the foreign tourists money to prop up the UK coffers and slow the drain created by our lovely hairbrained overspending corrupt government..tally ho ! Does that make the Queen a "Pomp" biggrin  

stringedmessenger

Days of Empire

Mega Genius

7,750 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Overstocked 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:21 pm
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:22 pm
stringedmessenger
whapcapn

At least they drag in the foreign tourists money to prop up the UK coffers and slow the drain created by our lovely hairbrained overspending corrupt government..tally ho ! Does that make the Queen a "Pomp" biggrin

I actually think the tourist industry wouldn't suffer that much with the abolition of the monarchy. I mean, all the buildings would still be there, no? Of course, there would be many undesirable repercussions, and it's certainly not a good idea, but it's probably not as bad as some people make out.  

Boolean Julian
Crew

Boolean Julian
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:23 pm
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:24 pm
Hey, if anyone wants rid of them they'll have to go through me first.

Royalist to the core and blessed with a political duty to fight to keep the ruling Monarch in position. It's unusual in people so young as me, but I would probably die in defence of the Royal Family.

Invictus_88
Captain

stringedmessenger

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:28 pm
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:28 pm
I quite like them.

I don't know about the statistics, but I do agree that they make back at least what they take away.

Plus, who can't enjoy Prince Phillip's follishness (he's Greek, anyway, so it's not unpatriotic to laugh at him - then again, the current family originally came from Germany)  

Zoutout

Boolean Julian
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:33 pm
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:36 pm
Invictus_88
Hey, if anyone wants rid of them they'll have to go through me first.

Royalist to the core and blessed with a political duty to fight to keep the ruling Monarch in position. It's unusual in people so young as me, but I would probably die in defence of the Royal Family.

I am with you there.... if only to get a chance to stand on top of the palace and play electric guitar like Brian May .... selfish personal gain I know... but hey there you go. Apparently they are quite nice people, a good friend of mine was chief of police in Dubai and has a photo signed "All the best Elizabeth and Philip" (he keeps it on his TV ! - can you imagine ... oooh whats that...ah, just a personal message from the monarch!)  

stringedmessenger

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:37 pm
whapcapn
And they give us something to laugh at. A very important socio-psychological need, that.

..and as it stands the Queen is essential to the functioning of the British political and judicial constitutional machinery.

So yes, that too.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:39 pm
I'm definitely with Invi on this one. Royalist to the core, I may not be Charles' biggest fan, but that's the way it goes.

I would gladly take up arms and fight to retain the monarchy, and from a self-confessed coward, that is no small thing.  

illyrianth
Vice Captain

Boolean Julian
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:41 pm
Invictus_88
whapcapn
And they give us something to laugh at. A very important socio-psychological need, that.

..and as it stands the Queen is essential to the functioning of the British political and judicial constitutional machinery.

So yes, that too.

Well yes. That is true. Stop being right. *sulks*  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:43 pm
illyrianth
I'm definitely with Invi on this one. Royalist to the core, I may not be Charles' biggest fan, but that's the way it goes.

I would gladly take up arms and fight to retain the monarchy, and from a self-confessed coward, that is no small thing.

...mind you.... would you mess with an "Illy" ~running now~ ninja  

stringedmessenger

illyrianth
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:45 pm
stringedmessenger
illyrianth

...mind you.... would you mess with an "Illy" ~running now~ ninja

stare You can't run anywhere and you definitely can't hide.  
The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 10 11 12 13 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games